Apple releases iTunes 9.2, brings iOS 4, iPhone 4 support | iLounge News

Apple releases iTunes 9.2, brings iOS 4, iPhone 4 support

image

Apple has released iTunes 9.2, the latest update to its media management software. According to Apple’s release notes, iTunes 9.2 includes support for iPhone 4 and iOS 4, as well as the ability to organize and sync books to iPhones and iPod touch units with iBooks 1.1, support for iBooks PDF management, the ability to create and manage iOS 4 home screen folders from within iTunes, album art speed improvements, and faster backups when syncing a device running iOS 4. iTunes 9.2 is available now via Apple’s Software Update utility or as a direct download from apple.com/itunes.

« Best Buy halts iPhone 4 pre-orders

Orange announces iPhone 4 pricing for U.K. »

Comments

It appears to have a stupid bug that randomly reverts the album art setting to Selected Item instead of now playing.

Posted by Mikey on June 16, 2010 at 7:48 PM (CDT)

I’m so happy they brought back the “Create ACC Version” on the contextual menu. It got frustrating highlighting a song and going to the main menu on Advanced and clicking the option there. Now all I have to do is right-click and its there. No muss, no fuss.

Posted by Oscar M. on June 16, 2010 at 8:08 PM (CDT)

I am getting even more syncing problems now. New music won’t sync on my iPod Touch. My classic works fine though. I guess I can live with it. Some interesting changes, can’t wait to see how well it does with iOS 4.

Posted by Andrew on June 16, 2010 at 11:32 PM (CDT)

To my surprise Apple isn’t allowing IOS 4 to work with the Iphone 3G. What a disappointment. Apple sells over 600,000 Iphone 4 units and they STILL manage to screw over some of their customers. I wouuldn’t even mind paying for an update for having an older phone, but they aren’t even doing that.

Posted by chris on June 17, 2010 at 8:02 AM (CDT)

chris - From Apples website:

Compatibility

iOS 4 works with iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and iPhone 3G. Not all features are compatible with all devices. For example, multitasking is available only with iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS.

Looks like you can certainly have iOS 4, just no multitasking.

Posted by Mitch on June 17, 2010 at 9:06 AM (CDT)

Be care if you run Office 2010 (64 bit)... it doesn’t sync correctly with iTunes 9.2. Waiting on Apple update….

Posted by Miller on June 17, 2010 at 9:36 AM (CDT)

I updated but now I have an annoying problem with the album artwork.  Now all of my album artwork appears slightly faded and really bright.  Is anyone else experiencing this to?  I hope this is a bug Apple picks up on quickly, this really hurts my eyes for real..

Posted by Phoenixfury on June 17, 2010 at 1:35 PM (CDT)

@Phoenixfury: I’m also having that problem. The artwork is so bright that it’s quite annoying. I thought I was the only one having that issue.

Posted by Tim on June 18, 2010 at 1:00 PM (CDT)

hey u guys, do u know anything about syncing an itouch and when u get to the page that shows all the data of the ipod, instead it shows an iphone, cause i’ve been having that problem and its getting annoying.

Posted by deadbeast on June 20, 2010 at 1:04 AM (CDT)

Upgraded to iTunes 9.2.?.61 and lo and behold, I can no longer sync my outlook calendar. I keep getting a sync server error, but I don’t know if the sync server is part of iTunes, Outlook 2003 or my iPhone 3G. I would like to get this fixed before my iPhone 4 arrives on Thursday so I know that all of my appointments, etc will transfer to my new phone.
Help. John

Posted by John Hansen on June 21, 2010 at 1:54 PM (CDT)

Same problem as John - upgraded iTunes and cannot sync to outlook calendar - “iTunes could not sync calendars to the iPhone….because the sync server failed to sync the iPhone”

Posted by Darrell M Wilson on June 22, 2010 at 8:19 PM (CDT)

John Hansen, I’m with you.  This sync error with Outlook 2003 is also happening to me.  I have the new Itunes 9.2 and iOS4 on a 3Gs and can no longer Sync.  If anyone has a fix or knows what’s up please let me know @ .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).  I, too, am getting an iPhone 4 on Thurs and would really like this fixed.
Thanks,
Tammy

Posted by Tammy Rae Johnson on June 22, 2010 at 8:29 PM (CDT)

yep me too upgraded to OS4 and ITunes 9.2,  calendar in outlook 2003 no longer syncs.

When will software developers do proper R&D before releases???

Posted by Russell Sky on June 30, 2010 at 12:57 AM (CDT)

Does anyone know of a fix yet?  Please?

Posted by Tracy on July 5, 2010 at 5:09 AM (CDT)

@ 7/8:

I’ve previously scanned album artwork into a graphics editor and then copy/pasted the images (after some cleaning up) into iTunes. Sadly, v9.2, which I just upgraded to today, does not seem happy with this.

The images I tried adding this way after the upgrade were distorted and discolored.

Try saving the images locally, then copy/paste the saved files into the artwork field. It looks like iTunes can handle that.

Posted by Joel on July 5, 2010 at 6:11 PM (CDT)

Same exact problem for me, too!  Iphone OS 4 and Itunes 9.2 always now shows “iTunes could not sync contacts to the iPhone because the sync server failed to sync the iPhone”.  I just upgraded to iTunes 9.2.1.4 and no change!

Please help, APPLE!!  This is hell!
Ken.

Posted by Ken Reiss on July 19, 2010 at 7:13 PM (CDT)

Ever since installing itunes 9.2 I’m having the same problem trying to sync my iphone with outlook calendar with the error message “iTunes could not sync calendars to the iPhone….because the sync server failed to sync the iPhone”.

Does anyone know the answer to this frustrating conundrum?

cheers

Posted by Ben Hartfield on July 23, 2010 at 7:20 AM (CDT)

Same problem here.  I am running XP, Outlook 2007, with the new iTunes 9.2.1.4.  I also just installed the new firmware for iPhone 4.0.1

Posted by Bill Thomas on July 23, 2010 at 8:34 AM (CDT)

I’m having the same syncing issues with my iTouch, Outlook 2007, and iTunes 9.2.1.4.  Where’s the fix, Apple???

Posted by Pamela Storey on July 27, 2010 at 10:41 PM (CDT)

Add me to the chorus of “where is the fix for the calendar not syncing because of a failure of the sync server”  Very annoying!!!

Posted by Peter Kehoe on August 4, 2010 at 2:21 PM (CDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >