Apple releases software 1.1.4 for iPhone and iPod touch | iLounge News

Apple releases software 1.1.4 for iPhone and iPod touch

Apple has released software version 1.1.4 for the iPhone and iPod touch. According to Apple, the update “includes bug fixes and supersedes all previous versions.” It is currently unclear whether any new features have been added with the update; however, with Apple scheduled to release the iPhone and iPod touch software development kit (SDK) this week, it is possible that this update could be a precursor to that release. iPhone and iPod touch software version 1.1.4 is available now through the update feature in iTunes.

« NPD: iTunes to replace Wal-Mart as top music retailer this year

Analyst: iPod, iPhone no longer ‘growth drivers’ for Apple »

Comments

From what I gather from other websites the download is 165.5mb and adds no new features to the Touch and/or the iPhone.

I’m currently downloading it now, Engadget reports that they installed it on both a jail broken and non-jail broken iPhone with no issues.

Also there is a lot of rumors flying around that this has something to do with all the Starbucks closing today at 5:30 pm, however according to Robin Meade this morning from CNN they are closing for Baristoe training across the country to make your experience there more personal.

Posted by PodFather on February 26, 2008 at 2:24 PM (CST)

Though we’ve gone through the iPhone version of 1.1.4 and found no differences—Apple confirmed that the updates truly only contain bug fixes—the update does improve the performance of Google Maps on the iPod touch. Location finder, which did not work properly in 1.1.3, now works on 1.1.4.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on February 26, 2008 at 2:50 PM (CST)

How do I update my touch with the new update?

Posted by M LITMAN on February 26, 2008 at 3:17 PM (CST)

Simply connect it to iTunes and click on the ‘check for update’ option on the main screen. It will download and/or download and install inside of iTunes itself.

During the install just leave your iPod connected, it will go through all the start up screens including the “plug the iPod in” screen you first saw when you purchased the iPod.

After installation it will advise you that you disconnect if you so wish.

Posted by PodFather on February 26, 2008 at 3:22 PM (CST)

I think they’ve fixed the out of order SMS problem - certainly on mine previous messages that were in the wrong order are now in the correct order!

Posted by deltax on February 26, 2008 at 4:02 PM (CST)

I’d settle for fewer Safari crashes.

Posted by dodo on February 26, 2008 at 4:51 PM (CST)

Starbucks is doing Expresso training from 5:30-9 today across the US

Posted by Anonymous on February 26, 2008 at 4:57 PM (CST)

podfather, so if you install 1.1.4 on a jailbroken 1.1.3, will you retain the ability to use third party apps w/o having to re-jailbreak the phone?

Posted by vsolis on February 26, 2008 at 5:34 PM (CST)

What I want to know is how does this update affect the unlocking hacks?  Can unlocked phones be updgraded safely?  Can new OTB 1.1.4 phones be unlocked?

I ordered mine last week and my friend in the US received and posted it to me today.  So I’m hoping mine shipped with 1.1.3, and I won’t be adversely affected by this.

Posted by Lachlan Hunt on February 26, 2008 at 5:50 PM (CST)

Please tell me that among these “bug fixes” is some mystical band-aid that will keep my iPhone Safari from closing randomly. This annoyance has been around for quite a while for me, but it seems to ebb and flow. I could go a couple of weeks and it never happens…or then it could happen several times in one day.

Posted by Flippy Hambone on February 26, 2008 at 6:33 PM (CST)

What’s expresso?

Posted by Anonymouth on February 26, 2008 at 6:52 PM (CST)

i don’t remember if you could do this—maybe i had my settings diffferent—but you can drag and drop items intstead of syncing only.

again, i may not have noticed this in the past.

Posted by alex on February 26, 2008 at 7:23 PM (CST)

so far it fixed all of my safari crashed!!! I’ve tested my safari browser under heavy load and it works like a charm.

Also the location finder appears to work better, dont know if the fix has anything to do with it.

SMS order looks good.

Good job Apple!!!

Posted by dennis on February 26, 2008 at 7:48 PM (CST)

And by “Expresso”, surely you mean “Espresso”.

Posted by uurf on February 26, 2008 at 7:58 PM (CST)

Podcast notes now work! They haven’t worked before on the iPhone. Show-Notes I guess is what I wanted to say - podcast notes that you can see on an ipod but couldn’t see with the phone
have never seen podcast show notes descriptions before.

here I’m not crazy:

But it now works for only one podcast and this one podcast. But it works and is cool.
All in the mind by ABC radio national. RSS here:

Posted by biomac on February 26, 2008 at 8:02 PM (CST)

it totally erased my jailbroken installer and nes games.

Posted by Toolarmy on February 26, 2008 at 9:43 PM (CST)

Safari seems more stable.  Previously it seemed like the bigger the web page, the more likely Safari was to randomly close.  Gizmodo.com was especially bad.  1.1.4 seems to be at least somewhat better- knock on wood.

Posted by dodo on February 26, 2008 at 9:51 PM (CST)

i was however able to reinstall ziphone in a couple of minutes. the installs were still visible in installer but i had to delete and reinstall my nes rom player and system utilities like bsd subsystem and such. a minor inconvenience. just uninstall and reinstall to get your icons back on your homescreen.

Posted by Toolarmy on February 26, 2008 at 10:12 PM (CST)

for those of you suffering from Safari crashes, I was having this same problem and I contacted Apple care for help. They told me that the iPhone is essentially a mini computer and needs to be turned off from time to time (something I rarely did). It works like a charm. Anytime Safari crashes (rarely happens now) I simply turn my phone off and it won’t crash again for a long time. Applecare explained to me that it has something to do with RAM.

Posted by urbanslaughter on February 27, 2008 at 12:59 AM (CST)

iTunes keeps telling me that 1.1.3 is the latest version when I click on “Check for Updates”. Any ideas on how I can get around this?

Posted by Chalo on February 27, 2008 at 1:04 AM (CST)

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >