Apple releases software 1.3 for fifth-generation iPods | iLounge News

Apple releases software 1.3 for fifth-generation iPods

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Friday, March 14, 2008
News Categories: iPod

Apple has released software 1.3 for fifth generation iPods. According to Apple, the software contains bug fixes, and supersedes all previous versions. iPod Software Version 1.3 for fifth-generation iPods is available now through the Update feature in iTunes.

« Proporta intros Echo Screen Protector for iPhone, iPod touch, nano 3G

iPhone launches in Austria, Ireland »

Comments

It was just a 6.3 MB update, which seems like nothing after all those 100+ MB iPhone updates. As usual, after iTunes applied the update, the iPod restarted itself and showed the Apple logo with progress bar underneath. The only differences I noticed were that it put “Shuffle Songs” back on my main menu, which I had removed since I never use it; and “Sound Check” was turned to off, which I always keep on.

Posted by Muero on March 14, 2008 at 7:58 AM (PDT)

Which one is 5G again?

Posted by Gordy. in Atlanta, GA on March 14, 2008 at 3:36 PM (PDT)

Oh, it’s mine…the first one with video BTW.

Posted by Gordy. in Atlanta, GA on March 14, 2008 at 3:43 PM (PDT)

This update has added timezones for the whole world.  Other than that, I can’t find any differences.

Posted by Phil on March 14, 2008 at 8:44 PM (PDT)

I noticed two changes
1. In the sorting of the songs, symbols like () are automatically ignored.
2. In the settings menu, in the time zone, there were some time zones that were absent there although there were present in the clock. Now these missing time zones are present (Like Chennai).

Posted by AceRoom on March 16, 2008 at 4:57 AM (PDT)

Wow!!!time zones!!!we really needed that!!!its esential to our lives and music enjoyment.why should they waste our ipod hard-drive space with cool suff,like cover flow and all those nice features found in the ipod classic??cause they’d be losing 250 dollars x ipod 5th gen users ,thats why.very nice Steve.

Posted by Mario on March 16, 2008 at 4:25 PM (PDT)

I’ve noticed a few small, but very nice things about this update:

1.  The sorting of songs/artists/etc. ignore parentheses - this is most helpful when scrolling through large lists (it no longer recognizes them as a number)

2.  The menus are a bit more responsive

3.  Time zones are added

A welcome improvement

Posted by Chris G on March 16, 2008 at 7:26 PM (PDT)

My 5G iPod never used sorting fields correctly on albums until I downloaded this update. Now it ignores first words such as “A” and “The” on album names. A worthwhile update for me.

Posted by Ian T on March 17, 2008 at 4:52 AM (PDT)

don’t think you are missing out much with coverflow. you might use it once or twice to show your friends but on day to day use its not worth the hassle.

as a classic owner i’d be happy with a working click wheel… whenever i use my old 4G it highlights just how rubbish the classics are.

Posted by dave on March 17, 2008 at 5:16 AM (PDT)

Rating stars on the front screen - obviously too much to hope for!

Posted by rob on March 17, 2008 at 8:56 AM (PDT)

Since I upgraded my iPod to 1.3, MP3 podcasts that I converted to M4B no longer show the “faster” option for playback on the iPod.  Not sure if this is due to the iPod update or recent iTunes upgrade but I sure miss the high speed playback!

Posted by waxwing1 on March 17, 2008 at 7:19 PM (PDT)

I can agree with the posts about the over rated hype of cover flow. When listening to my iPod, I’m not mindlessly staring at the screen. I’m usually paying attention to the direction in which I am walking, or watching the scenery fly by the bus window, or sweeping the porch, or whatever else I happen to be doing.

Posted by Raz0R on March 18, 2008 at 10:07 PM (PDT)

Are the release notes available for this? Why is it always so hard for me to find those for Apple software updates?

Posted by kghastie on March 25, 2008 at 10:03 PM (PDT)

Since I applied this update, my ipod will NOT sort according to album when I am in itunes.  When I click for the songs on my ipod to sort by album, it sorts them by artist (followed by no change in sorting when I click to sort by artist).  It’s not a problem with my itunes because the music library on my computer can be sorted by album.  It only happens when I am managing the music on my ipod, and it’s happened since the update.  Has anyone else experienced this?

Posted by South80 on March 25, 2008 at 10:10 PM (PDT)

after updating to 1.3, m 5th gen video thinks it is always getting a charge, also doesn’t seem to get recognized that easily by any computer anymore; I have to sometimes unplug, replug and or reset.

Posted by Will on March 29, 2008 at 5:06 PM (PDT)

since the update, my ipod no longer syncs the movies i’d converted
is this because of a new movie format that is no longer compatable or?
any help would be gratefully appreciated

Posted by Emma on May 15, 2009 at 4:26 PM (PDT)

after the update i lost the ability to play videos. i just get a black screen (still lit by backlight) with the play arrow and battery icon then nothing. it freezes then i have to restart. never happened before the update; it always worked fine before. is this a conspiracy to get us to trash our 5th gen because they made it too well? apple’s newer stuff seems disposable/cheaply made.

Posted by larry on May 16, 2009 at 6:34 AM (PDT)

After the update the ipod just became slow. response time to do anything. click on music it takes more than 3 seconds to be active again…. during music playing the damn thing is slow to select anything; songs, artust, albums… feel sorry for my sister for buying it… bug fixes my behind what they meant was bug addings… lol but other than that everything works

Posted by Hex1234 on March 8, 2013 at 4:52 AM (PDT)