Apple releases Software 2.2.1 for iPhone, iPod touch | iLounge News

Apple releases Software 2.2.1 for iPhone, iPod touch

image

Apple has released its iPhone Software 2.2.1 Update for the iPhone, iPhone 3G, first-, and second-generation iPod touch. According to Apple, the iPhone update offers “bug fixes and improvements,” including improved stability for Safari, and a fix for an issue where some images saved from Mail didn’t display correctly in the Camera Roll. The iPod touch update also fixes an issue that caused some Apple Lossless files to skip during playback. iPhone Software 2.2.1 is available now through the Update feature in iTunes.

« Papermaster starts April 24 as Apple iPod/iPhone hardware chief

Apple posts two new iPhone 3G ads [Updated] »

Comments

246MB for a bug fix release. Amazing. Those two issues they highlighted must’ve generated enough activity on the forums to warrant releasing this update. It also means we won’t be seeing 2.3 anytime soon, so maybe this is how they keep the update addicts at bay.

Posted by Ted Wood on January 27, 2009 at 2:35 PM (CST)

They always talk about safari improvements but it still always crashes on me, hopefully they truly made an improvement this time.

Posted by Ryan on January 27, 2009 at 2:47 PM (CST)

Seriously, why waste my time with 246 MB of bug fixes?
How about adding images to SMS messages?
Let me sync my Notes with my PC through iTunes
Update some of the other apps to not be so lame (Calc, Weather)

Or (God forbid) add FLASH to Safari!

Seriously, it’s like the original iPhone team works their butt to come up with an awesome product, and then only makes bug fixes for a few years until the next piece of hardware comes out.

Posted by Dave on January 27, 2009 at 2:58 PM (CST)

Where is the push notification?  That is the holy grail for iPhone apps.

Posted by John on January 27, 2009 at 3:04 PM (CST)

Or just punt on the push notifications and allow third party apps to run in the background like on every other platform out there. That would solve many other issues other than IM. Maybe we’ll see that when Apple pushes their latest battery technology into the iPhone/iPod Touches.

Posted by Wes on January 27, 2009 at 3:48 PM (CST)

What I think would be nice to see would be the addition of Flash, but also a new slider in Safari with the ability to turn it off.  That way, if you needed to view a website that was solely comprised of Flash, you could do so.  However, it could also be turned off to conserve battery power.

And how about copy & paste already?

Posted by Josh C. on January 27, 2009 at 4:08 PM (CST)

Josh C. said:
“And how about copy & paste already? “

If you want to waste your breath, do the following two things:

1. Tell a smoker they shouldn’t smoke.
2. Tell Apple that the iPhone needs copy & paste.

Those words are like bb’s against a tank.  You know it needs copy and paste, and so does everyone here, but Apple is so pig-headed about it for some strange reason.

Posted by Dave on January 27, 2009 at 4:25 PM (CST)

While I wouldn’t mind a more stable Safari, its not worth breaking my jailbreak….but I’ll wait until I hear more about this update to make a final decision.

Posted by DjRags on January 27, 2009 at 4:35 PM (CST)

From what people are saying it seems to fix the bug that stops the iphone from texting!  This issue has been all over the Apple forums and it got me a new handset sent out earlier this month because there was nothing the service centre could do to fix it!  I think this update is slightly more than a quick patch job but they don’t really want to start putting out in press releases that a glitch stops the phone doing something as vital as texting so it is just classed as ‘bug fixes and improvements’!

Posted by Moog on January 27, 2009 at 5:18 PM (CST)

Ted & Dave,

Perhaps iLounge can clarify this but I suspect that the iPhone is simply re-installed with a fresh copy of the OS which would explain why the download is so large.

Posted by Surya on January 27, 2009 at 6:13 PM (CST)

Proceed very cautiously.

I just tried installing it on my 2nd gen 32gb touch.  Installation failed, unknown error.  Touch went into recovery mode.  iTunes said must restore the touch in order to use with iTunes.  “Restore” means it wipes the touch clean, installs the (hopefully latest) software, and (hopefully) reinstalls all the content that was there before.

Upgrading from 2.0 to 2.2 went much more smoothly.  I wonder how extensively Apple tested the 2.21 update before releasing it.  I hope none of you have these problems.

Posted by Ron on January 27, 2009 at 7:44 PM (CST)

Downloaded 2.2.1

Everything went well took about 5 min to load on max out 16G phone.  I will have to play with it tonight to see whats new.

did notice web pages loaded faster.

Posted by Rick on January 27, 2009 at 8:38 PM (CST)

The reason the download is so large, based upon the comments, I looked at what is IN the file. Its all the different versions of the new version for multiple hardware - 2g, 3g, itouch 1 and 2 generations, etc.

Posted by Andrew on January 27, 2009 at 9:16 PM (CST)

The delay before being able to use the Contacts application is gone. I don’t have that many contacts (over 400) compared to some power users, but this had been there since 2.0.

Posted by Paul on January 27, 2009 at 10:10 PM (CST)

installation Failed unknown error occurred when i tried to update today. ipod touch is no longer recognized by itunes on win vista. HELP!! Anyone know how to get locked Touch to re-sync with itunse?

Posted by Daniel on January 27, 2009 at 10:22 PM (CST)

Daniel

While keeping your touch connected to the computer and with iTunes open reset the ipod (hold the sleep button and the home simultaneously.) The touch should prompt you to connect to iTunes, because you are already connected just leave it alone.  You should get a prompt a few moments later (no longer than a minute) to restore.

I hope this helps.  Good luck.

Posted by Cereal on January 28, 2009 at 12:34 AM (CST)

Please stop complaining about the filesize people. Firmware updates are ALWAYS this size, since it delivers the entire filesystem everytime. That’s why you can use it for a restore if your phone gets messed up.

Posted by Whacko on January 28, 2009 at 5:16 AM (CST)

I just updated my iphone 3g to 2.2.1.  However, when you go to Settings-General-About, my firmware version says 2.2.1 (5H11) NOT 2.2.1 (5H11a) like the above screenshot.

Posted by Kered on January 28, 2009 at 10:15 AM (CST)

Kered (#18): I have 5H11a on my iPod touch 2G, so I’d guess that the suffix means “ahahaha you don’t get the good Maps application”.

Posted by ckd on January 28, 2009 at 10:18 AM (CST)

ckd (#19): I had Maps as of 2.1.  I guess ipod touch users are JUST getting it in 2.2.1 firmware.  The A in your case stands for “ahahaha you are getting it later”.

All kidding aside, I hope this firmware works out for everyone.

Posted by Kered on January 28, 2009 at 10:29 AM (CST)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >