Apple releases Software 2.2.1 for iPhone, iPod touch | iLounge News

Apple releases Software 2.2.1 for iPhone, iPod touch

image

Apple has released its iPhone Software 2.2.1 Update for the iPhone, iPhone 3G, first-, and second-generation iPod touch. According to Apple, the iPhone update offers “bug fixes and improvements,” including improved stability for Safari, and a fix for an issue where some images saved from Mail didn’t display correctly in the Camera Roll. The iPod touch update also fixes an issue that caused some Apple Lossless files to skip during playback. iPhone Software 2.2.1 is available now through the Update feature in iTunes.

« Papermaster starts April 24 as Apple iPod/iPhone hardware chief

Apple posts two new iPhone 3G ads [Updated] »

Comments

Posted by Scubapro on January 28, 2009 at 12:48 PM (CST)

One bug they didn’t fix is that Maps still shows the details of a route in km and not miles in the UK.

Posted by Andrew Balfour on January 28, 2009 at 1:50 PM (CST)

Loaded on my touch 1st gen no problem and now lossless files no longer skip.

Posted by Steven Bates on January 28, 2009 at 3:27 PM (CST)

“Installed no problem and things do seem stable on Safari but I have noticed that WiFi keeps dropping.  Has anyone else noticed this? “

Yes, I just noticed this too.

When I glanced at my iPhone, I saw the 3G symbol, meaning that it was no longer connected to my network. As soon as I went to unlock it, I received the Wifi symbol in just a few seconds.

Is this a good thing? I suppose disconnecting from the network when there isn’t any activity could be a good thing if the network is unsecure. Just my thought.

Posted by css1323 on January 29, 2009 at 12:11 AM (CST)

Kered (#20): I had the Maps application from day one on my 2G touch, but touch owners didn’t get the walking/transit directions and such that iPhones did in the 2.2 upgrade.  Ah well; maybe 3.0 will include it for another $10 or something….

Posted by ckd on January 29, 2009 at 11:16 AM (CST)

I bricked two straight iPod 2g touches with this update, neither of which could be revived at the local Apple store, I’m waiting on my second replacement.  Either I somehow got a corrupt version of the firmware, my iTunes is busted up, or there is a problem with the USB port I’m using.  It seems to me that none of these issues should result in a useless iPod.

Posted by Jason on January 29, 2009 at 1:57 PM (CST)

Has anyone noticed that the bug where some photos saved from Safari appear in low resolution in the Photos app has _not_ been fixed?

Posted by sm on January 29, 2009 at 6:51 PM (CST)

I should have added to the above… even though it is specifically listed as being addressed in 2.2.1.

Posted by sm on January 29, 2009 at 6:58 PM (CST)

I just purchased the BLACKBERRY STORM and am telling all who asked me about the iPhone why I changed. Because Apple is frigging stupid not to add COPY/PASTE and Flash and other issues which they promised 2 years ago.  D- Liars. I can’t believe I fed them $20,000 in referrals in Drs and lawyers and judges I know.. we all feel betrayed.  Maybe… a class action suit…

Posted by T Mack on January 29, 2009 at 11:16 PM (CST)

First…T Mack, Apple never promised copy and paste or Flash. Unless you know something I don’t.

Back to the actual topic of this article, though…just finished installing the new update on a 1st gen 32 GB touch, seems to no problems yet. Then again, I’ve had zero problems at all with any update so far for this lil device.

...all the same, I’m taking my shuffle with me to work tomorrow, *just in case* the new firmware craps out…

Posted by Daniel S on January 30, 2009 at 12:46 AM (CST)

I hope this will fix the problem i have with my JVC adaptor KS-PD100

Posted by Dominique Woomed on January 30, 2009 at 7:44 AM (CST)

But there is a software 4 copy and paste! t is called Ipod Copy expert. Google it, and you’ll find it.

Posted by Jorge Conceicao on January 30, 2009 at 12:33 PM (CST)

What would really help is a search function on the iTouch.

Posted by Rutabage on February 3, 2009 at 12:39 AM (CST)

My iPhone is also dropping WiFi after a few minutes and doesn’t auto connect when browsing even with networks it knows. Auto discovery of available wireless networks doesn’t work either. I’m not sure when this stopped working but it used to work.

Posted by Terryk88 on February 14, 2009 at 7:38 AM (CST)

hi i just downloaded that new 2.2.1 software update for my iPhone 3G 16GB, it only took 5 mins max and i have seen some safari improvments, but seriously here…APPLE LISTEN!!! you realy need to do stuff like adding flash to safari, how about picture messages!!! and one of the most anoying things…FORWARDING TEXTS!!!!!!!!! c’mon if ur gunna do a software update then do a REAL one pleeeeeeeeese! :@...      i know people like me understand what i mean and i also know that apple isen’t goin to listen to us but i guess its good to say what we think and maybe someday apple won’t be soo selfish.. lol..ooh well other than that i still like the phone :D

Posted by connor..d on February 16, 2009 at 6:51 PM (CST)

hi just downloaded the 2.2.1 software now none of my apps work on it at all??
any ideas??

Posted by jamiew on March 25, 2009 at 3:05 PM (CDT)

Everytime I attempt to upgrade my software on my ipod touch (second gen) to the 2.2.1, it ends seconds before stating “the network connection has timed out”
I don’t suppose anyone knows how to overcome this as it consequently limits the applications I can download.
And my internet access seems to be fine also.

Posted by Christian on June 3, 2009 at 8:21 PM (CDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2