Apple releases software version 1.0.3 for iPod classic, nano 3G | iLounge News

Apple releases software version 1.0.3 for iPod classic, nano 3G

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Wednesday, November 28, 2007
News Categories: iPod

Alongside the release of iPod software version 1.2.3 for the fifth-generation iPod, Apple today rolled out iPod software version 1.0.3 for the iPod classic and iPod nano (with video). Again, the release notes state that the update simply contains “bug fixes.” More specifically, it appears the update fixes an issue with the iPod nano’s clock, and addresses a problem where play counts of songs were affected by games. On the iPod classic, the update appears to fix some issues with Cover Flow, and provides a solution for the “spinning disk” problem. iPod software version 1.0.3 for the iPod classic and iPod nano (with video) is available now via the Update feature in iTunes.

« Carphone Warehouse misleading iPhone customers?

XtremeMac unveils Verona leather cases for iPod touch, classic, nano 3G »

Comments

Just a little late on the uptake, I got the update this morning when I opened up iTunes.  Haven’t noticed much of a difference yet.

Posted by Ian on November 28, 2007 at 2:44 PM (PDT)

Hopefully they fixed the Nike+ km/mi issue.  We shall see!

Posted by ajmiarka on November 28, 2007 at 2:48 PM (PDT)

I updated and all seems good.  I have to admit that one cover flow problem I had blamed on the 1.0.2 update was actually a flaw on the part of the CDs I had imported into iTunes.

I thought the 1.0.2 update placed random CDs at the end of the cover flow (e.g. Pixies, Madonna, Sigur Ros, etc. had random CDs that appeared at the end of my cover flow instead of in corrrect alphabetical order with other CDs by the given band).

The error was that iTunes labled these CDs “compilations” when I imported them into iTunes.  The problem was easily fixed by highlighting all the tracks on the given disc and changing “Part of Compilation” from Yes to No.

Other than that, the “spinning disk” problem was fixed and no other errors were apparent.

Posted by matt on November 28, 2007 at 2:58 PM (PDT)

ALELUYA

Posted by gonzalo on November 28, 2007 at 3:16 PM (PDT)

I’ve noticed some interesting things in this update. Firstly, there is a new disconnect screen that shows a progress bar while the database is being updated.
Second, the full-screen photo bug seems to have been fixed (for me anyway).
Third, there is a new video setting - you can set the screen to widescreen or full screen. The former “fullscreen” setting is now called “fit to screen”.
A good update I think!

Posted by whatgift on November 29, 2007 at 1:17 AM (PDT)

Well I Just updated My IPOD and It now turns off and on, off and on, off and on and now off and dead.. thanks apple

Posted by GreenKillz on November 29, 2007 at 10:58 AM (PDT)

Posted by nolasox on November 29, 2007 at 10:58 AM (PDT)

I was extremely annoyed to learn, after I installed this update, that when I set my ipod to shuffle by albums, it automatically revers back to shuffle by songs - even though it still registers as shuffle by album under the setting menu. Anyone else experienced this? I can’t believe apple has managed to screw up such basic function!

Posted by arch on November 29, 2007 at 1:21 PM (PDT)

Well, I hooked up my Apple iPod Classic to my Apple IPod Camera Connector…......... and still it doesn’t work. ;((((

Device not supported, still sucks.

Looking forward to 1.0.4 maybe before Christmas.

Posted by StefanN on November 29, 2007 at 3:08 PM (PDT)

nolasox:

i’ve had this same problem the entire time i’ve owned my 160 classic… not a huge deal but definitely annoying

Posted by starflyerboy on November 29, 2007 at 7:11 PM (PDT)

Any one know when the classic will be able to play video out. 1.0.3 didnt.

Posted by Poon on November 29, 2007 at 10:03 PM (PDT)

Here’s the interesting thing for me.  I own a 160 Classic, and well, when I first got it, it didn’t play video out correctly through the Apple iPod Dock (the newest one).  Also, I had the random pausing issue too, but the random pausing only happened when I had left the ipod on the dock, and it had gone asleep (showing the big display of either charging, or being fully charged.  After that happened, if I pressed play, regardless of going to a playlist, or podcast, or movie, or whatever, it would pause in the middle of playing.  Where as, if I took it off the dock, plugged it back in, it would be fine.  That being said, the update fixed this for me somehow.  Video out actually plays properly now too.  I may be the only person so far with a 160 Classic that was actually made happy by the update, (fully that is), since really, nothing broke, and what slightly worked poorly before, works well now.  Just thought I’d chime in and speak for those who actually had their issue solved.  I do use an older iMac though, so I’m not sure if that has anything to do with it, or if other Mac users have had issues.  Regardless, the update worked for one person at least.

Posted by David on November 30, 2007 at 1:35 AM (PDT)

One thing this update did fix is now, when you choose 30s for backlighting, the backlighting actually stays on for 30 seconds, instead of just 20 seconds as has been the case for all previous firmware versions.

Posted by Larry on November 30, 2007 at 9:54 AM (PDT)

If you have an A/V composite cable, you now get an OSD which is a little better than the 5G that shows you:

(1) the progress bar at the bottom showing you the playing position
(2) play mode
(3) and a battery meter.

Also, now we have an option for Widescreen TV (16x9 ratio TVs).  If you have a portable DVD player, this is essential as it will play the video back in anamorphic widescreen so it will display properly on your TV.

A great update.  Thanks Apple!  Finally we get Anamorphic output!  smile

Posted by Lauren Glenn on December 1, 2007 at 7:57 AM (PDT)

>>Unfortunately this update has not fixed the random pause problem on my 160GB Classic.  Several times a day my iPod will pause in the middle of a song while it access the hard drive.  Anyone else having this problem?<<

Yep. Me too. And its really annoying. The iPods basic function is to play music. And its not doing it. Ive reported it several times to their “feedback” page and they still havent fixed it. Im beginning to wonder if there are some dodgy hard drives or caches out there. What to do?

Posted by XRayLexx on December 3, 2007 at 12:37 AM (PDT)

The random pause during playing music that is on ipod using itunes was fixed with the latest itunes.  I also noticed with the ipod update that when you eject there is now a progress bar on the ipod when the eject is completing.

Posted by jorge on December 3, 2007 at 12:04 PM (PDT)

I too get the occassional pause while playing music.  I think the problem is with the hardware.

The impression I get is the cache is flushing data slower than it can pull from the HD.  However it isn’t flushing parts of songs, only the whole thing.

Play a few short songs and you’re alright.  Play a few long classical pieces and you get the problem.

The pause is only for a second or so but it is annoying.

Posted by markrich on December 3, 2007 at 1:05 PM (PDT)

... I still haven’t updated it .. but is the cover flow more smoth now .. will it ever be? ..

and did they fix the issue with albums being called greatest hits albums where they all have every song thats under the name greatest hits ... even thougth its from differnt bands?

Posted by Andrew on December 13, 2007 at 9:34 PM (PDT)

We connected our 3G nano for the first time yesterday, and it immeduately detected the new upgrade, which we installed.  What we have noticed, and do not knoe whether this is a software or hardware problem, is that, if one touches the body of the ipod, front area outside the clickwheel, and the back area behind the clickwheel, it responds as if one is touching the “menu” button on the clickwheel.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Is it a defective ipod, or just “stiff” i.e. will change with more use?  It is 1 day old!  Any advice welcome. Johan.

Posted by Johan on January 7, 2008 at 9:32 AM (PDT)

My Ipod randomly pauses too, and starts after i update the 1.0.3 version, first was not so frequently, now its almost five to five minutes, and here in Brazil i don´t have an apple store. I have seen this problem with a loot of other people in other sites, but got no answer, already reset my ipod, but nothing works.

Posted by Nelson on January 15, 2008 at 6:37 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >