Apple releases update to fix ailing iPod shuffles | iLounge News

Apple releases update to fix ailing iPod shuffles

Apple today posted iPod shuffle Reset Utility 1.0 for both Mac and Windows. The long-overdue software update fixes a number of widespread issues affecting 512MB and 1GB first-generation iPod shuffle models. The update will completely erase all music and data and reinstalls software version 1.1.4 on affected shuffles. According to Apple, iPod shuffle Reset Utility 1.0 fixes the following issues:

With the iPod shuffle switched on, pressing the Play button will cause amber and green LEDs to flash for a few seconds, and the unit will not play any music, nor can you sync music to it from iTunes.

On a Windows PC, iPod shuffle will appear in My Computer as a “Removable Disk,” however the iPod shuffle volume will not mount correctly. The unit is listed in Device Manager under “Disk Drives” as “Apple iPod USB Device.”

On a Mac, the unit will only be recognized in Apple System Profiler under Hardware -> USB and will not appear or mount in the Finder.

When attempting to restore, the unit may not be recognized at all. However, if it is recognized, the restore may fail with an error dialog “Firmware update failure. Disk write error” or another error. It may take 3 restore attempts before the error appears. Note: iPod shuffle may take several minutes to be recognized.

« BMG catalog now available on Japanese iTunes Store

iPodResQ offers repair services for 2G iPod nano »

Comments

That’s great, but I’mm still waiting for the ipod 5th gen update fix :( I can’t listen to music watch videos or play my purchased games.

Posted by Jon on October 25, 2006 at 10:39 PM (CDT)

this did absolutkey nothing,ipod shuffle is still broken ><

Posted by ERWIN on October 26, 2006 at 1:06 AM (CDT)

At this rate, any firmware update for 4th and 5th generation iPod to fix slow syncing will be here by the year 2008. Ridiculous.

Posted by JWj on October 26, 2006 at 7:20 AM (CDT)

It’s irritating to see that Apple has released THREE updates for the new iPod nano since that came out. But there hasn’t even been one for the 5th Generation iPod.

On the sync issue, I don’t think it’s the iPods it’s iTunes 7 being slow.

Posted by Daveoc64 on October 26, 2006 at 7:37 AM (CDT)

Amazing….my Shuffle would appear in finder but would otherwise not be recognized and could not be restored.  I thought my Shuffle was toasted but this utility fixed it right away!

Posted by Steve K on October 26, 2006 at 8:20 AM (CDT)

Thank You!!!!!  My shuffle’s been toast for about a month.  I know Apple could’ve been a little quicker on things, but it saves me buying a new shuffle and/or pen drive.  Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!

Posted by bobby on October 26, 2006 at 9:12 AM (CDT)

I could have used this update well over a year ago back in July 2005 when my Shuffle went on eBay after messing with it for the last time.

Posted by too little too late on October 26, 2006 at 9:56 AM (CDT)

My 5G iPod doesn’t have any problem with slow syncing, it’s my 2G nano that has that issue.

A lot of the problems that most people have can be fixed if they’ll reset their iPod and then do a full restore (not update) of the iPod software.

Posted by RC on October 26, 2006 at 10:23 AM (CDT)

My 1st gen shuffle stopped working when I updated to Tiger.  iTunes 7 works fine under 10.3 but thinks the shuffle is a 2nd gen full size iPod under 10.4 and requests that I plug it in via firewire.  This update didn’t help, but I knew it was a long shot.  I am pretty sure Tiger broke the Shuffle when used with usb 1.1

Posted by sd on October 26, 2006 at 2:41 PM (CDT)

on the Apple support page it says “When attempting to restore, the unit may not be recognized at all.”

So ... ummm ... what then?

Posted by Lawrence Mikkelsen in New Zealand on October 26, 2006 at 3:55 PM (CDT)

To Lawrence Mikkelsen: That’s a description of the problem which this tool resolves.  It may not resolve all issues, but it certainly resurrected my iPod shuffle back from the dead.

Thanks, Apple!!!!

Posted by SomeOne on October 26, 2006 at 4:44 PM (CDT)

no change for me, still have a dead shuffle!!!

Posted by DodgeORama on October 26, 2006 at 5:52 PM (CDT)

Just to even up the experiences a bit, I have a first generation iPod Shuffle (1 GB), and it has continued working fine since I bought it.

I used to run with it often, until Apple released the Nike+iPod kit, and now the Shuffle usually stays home while I run with the Nano. But the Shuffle still works, and I still like the little guy. :)

Posted by BJ Nemeth on October 26, 2006 at 8:21 PM (CDT)

It works! The Reset Utility did the trick.  I thought my Shuffle was toast about 6 months ago. Even took it to the Geek Squad at BestBuy and they said it could not be fixed.  Since I thought it was dead, I bought a next generation Nano..very nice.  Now I have two iPods.  Good thing I did not throw the toasted Shuffle out. Give this utility a try…it worked for me.

Posted by Len S on October 26, 2006 at 9:55 PM (CDT)

Awesome!!! Thought my shuffle was gone

Weird thing is it was displayed on Finder but not on iTunes. I ejected it a few times, didn’t work until I just unplugged it, got the device removal error and then when I plugged it again, iTunes recognized it. Funny isn’t it?

Posted by SsnMx on October 26, 2006 at 11:29 PM (CDT)

The utility worked for me! My 1Gb Shuffle lives again…

I had given up on it and had actually visited the site to research the new Shuffle when I saw the article about this utility. The free download saved me about a hundred bucks from buying a new Shuffle and a weatherproof case for jogging…

Posted by ecd1211 on October 27, 2006 at 9:18 AM (CDT)

my shuffle does not even show in the system profiler under hardware, when I press the play button the amber light comes on and that is it. If I hold the play button the green light flashes a couple times then goes off. For a time I could hear the music but I have never been able to sync it or mount it. Anyone have any suggestions?

Posted by Toni on October 31, 2006 at 6:54 AM (CST)

computer doesn’t detect my ipod.. it can play songs but i cant put or delete files on it.. how can i fix it?

Posted by marlon on November 25, 2006 at 8:16 AM (CST)