Apple replacing water-damaged iPhone, 3G for $199 | iLounge News

Apple replacing water-damaged iPhone, 3G for $199

Apple has instituted a new policy under which iPhone owners who have accidentally caused water damage to their handsets—an issue not covered under Apple’s warranty—can buy a refurbished replacement unit for $199. ifo Apple Store reports that the new policy allows these users to replace their iPhones without the need to pay AT&T’s upgrade-ineligible pricing or add another two years to their contract. A commenter on the story indicates that the $199 price is good for replacements of both 8GB and 16GB units, and that it applies to the original iPhone as well as the iPhone 3G. The iPhone features four liquid submersion indicators—one in the headset jack, one in the dock connector, and two on the phone’s interior—which enable Genius Bar workers or other Apple technicians to determine whether an iPhone problem could have been caused by water damage.

« App Mix: Top Gun, Caster, Michelin, inTouch

FTC investigates Apple, Google ties »

Comments

what if you had the original iPhone on your account, then went and bought an iPhone 3G somewhere off account and was using it and it got wet.  would Apple let you buy a 3G phone, or would they tell you that your account originally had a 1G iPhone, so you could only get that????  I know that my account with AT&T;shows the 3G as being my phone, even though I did not purchase through them.

Posted by JakeyBoy on May 5, 2009 at 10:48 AM (PDT)

It seems to me that by allowing someone to buy a refurbished iPhone due to exposure to “water” damage, that Apple is admitting that their product has a design flaw in it, and that moisture somehow seeps into that headphone jack and triggers the liquid submersion indicator.  Instead of charging someone $199, Apple should be replacing these flawed units free of charge.

Yet another reason not to buy the latest generations of iPod or iPhone, all wih the liquid submersion indicators… not until Apple changes their repair/exchange policy or, better yet. just gets rid of the indicators altogether.

Posted by zyzyzyzyzyzyx on May 5, 2009 at 11:10 AM (PDT)

@JonnyOneNote
Apple’s not admitting any design flaw.  Most cell phones, MP3 players, and electronics in general don’t deal too well with being submerged in water.  It’s not a design flaw, it’s a simple fact.  Most major cell phone manufacturers use moisture indicators to let them know when a consumer tries to pull a fast one on them by claiming that the phone just stopped working, when in actuality they forgot to take it out of their pocket when they decided to take a dive into the pool.

This policy at least gives those people a better option than paying full price for a new unit.

Posted by ammusedReader on May 5, 2009 at 12:59 PM (PDT)

This has been happening for a while, at least unofficially. My sister’s 1G phone was ruined by a burst energy drink a year ago (before the 3G came out) and was replaced for $199.

Posted by Ward on May 5, 2009 at 2:38 PM (PDT)

A month after the first iphone came out i was getting out a boat at the local lake and my iphone was in my pocket and was submerged. this was on a Friday i let it dry for two days then took it to apple store the took my phone gave me a loaner iphone. about 4 days later i got a brand new iphone and shipped my loaner back. they didn’t say anything about water.

Posted by Phillip on May 5, 2009 at 5:35 PM (PDT)

Phillip, i just had a similar situation happen to me about 30 minutes ago.  What did you tell the people at the apple store? Did you mention the situation or did you just say it stopped working

Posted by Please help a man out on May 21, 2009 at 2:24 PM (PDT)

My camera on my iphone 3G stopped working a month ago…called tech support for help, but alas nothing changed. I made an appointment to visit the genius bar here in the Long Island N.Y. area. Once there the camera mysteriously worked! However, the ‘genius’ at the genius bar ran a ‘diagnostic’ test on the phone and claimed there was water in the phone. I have never placed the phone in or near water, much less use it in the bathroom or kitchen. It has always been in a hard rubber case since the day I bought it!( which was August 08). I am beginning to think there is a design flaw Apple is refusing to own up to with iphones! I have owned samsungs and nokias for years and have NEVER gotten water in the phones! Perhaps that’s why Apple is introducing a ‘newer version’ of iphones (for less!) so soon?

Posted by kim g. sullivan on June 16, 2009 at 9:34 PM (PDT)

I dropped my Iphone G3 into the toilet, retreived it, immediated it buzzed three times and then all functions ceased. I took the SIM card out, and I held the phone in a vertical position and tapped it on a cloth held in my hand. I turned it over and did the same with the other end, where the connector for charging and exchanging software, music, etc.
After having done this, I read all of the information I could find on how to get all of the moisture out of the phone. I got some rice and put a layer in a container, laid the iPhone on this layer of rice, and then filled the rest of the boal with more rice. I sealed this for two reasons. One of the reasons was that the rice could not absorb moisture from the outside air, and the second reason was that the rice in the container would hopefully absorb all of the moisture still in the phone.
I left the phone in this rice filled container for about 36 hours. I removed the phone and held the silver button on top of the phone, and it would not respond. I decided to just let it sit in the open air for another 12 hours or so.
Then having tried to restart the phone and when it did not respond, I decided to hook it up to my computer with iTunes already running.
Guess what? I got a response. The phone starded working, but the screen still had visible water on the inside and everything looked like a mosaic. Still, in all, I thought that having the phone working again was better than nothing. I then started going through all of the functions, the Music worked, as did the address book, dialing, ringer function and everything else.
I decided to keep the phne soerating as much as possibe, so I disconnected the headset, turned on the iPond function and plugged in the charger, and let it play for about 24 more hours. After this time, the moisture on the screen had decreased by about 3/4, and I decided dto go ahead and ues the phone as I normally would. I now have only 3 extremely small dots of moisture in my screen. and i believe they will disappear by tomorrow.
It is difficult to imagine that the phone functions as good as before it was submerged in water for probably 4 or 5 seconds. I feel fortunate that all is working fine again.

Posted by ronc on November 4, 2009 at 1:10 AM (PDT)

I am in the same boat as ronc there… except I have (kinda) the NEW 4G! Idiot me, toilet, 2 seconds, and DONE. It won’t stay on now (Unless plugged into wall) and lost its IMEI #, etc. When I sync it to the itunes, the apple turns off and on. That’s all. So far, the physical features are perfect! But the functions are fried. :-(. 3 weeks of a Crappy service, dropped apps, dropped calls, now this. Bummer.

If anyone has advice on water and 4G, pls help. TY!

Posted by Upset on July 27, 2010 at 11:07 AM (PDT)

I dropped my iphone 3GS in the toilet , immediatly got it out and dried the doc area with a hair dryer . the screen went dark for awile but you could still see all the apps etc . i then plugged it into the wall charger and it lit up again but started having a wee spaz attack on the screen . it finally stopped and i tried to turn it of but the silver button now doesn’t work . Everything else is fine , like messaging and music and everything works it’s just the sleep/wake button doesn’t . i checked the submerission indicator at the bottom and it’s gone red . I was just wondering what the policy was called and if it applied to countries outside of the states ?

Posted by Sam on September 17, 2010 at 5:09 PM (PDT)