Apple responds to iPod ‘sweatshop’ claims | iLounge News

Apple responds to iPod ‘sweatshop’ claims

Apple has responded to the recent claims of poor working conditions at iPod factories in China, stating that it takes the allegations seriously and that it is looking into the charges. “Apple is committed to ensuring that working conditions in our supply chain are safe, workers are treated with respect and dignity, and manufacturing processes are environmentally responsible,” Apple said in a statement. The company said it is “currently investigating the allegations regarding working conditions in the iPod manufacturing plant in China. We do not tolerate any violations of our supplier code of conduct which are posted online.”

« ITC launches probe in Creative vs. Apple patent dispute

Intempo offers spherical iPod speaker (Updated) »

Comments

I’m so glad that Apple is interested after the story was reported. I bet no one at Apple never even knew that these conditions existed. I’m sure that none of Apple’s executives have ever been to an Ipod manufacturing facility. Why would they want to go somewhere where people are basically slaves, and oh the conditions are so un-Apple like - or wait - or are they?

Posted by boogerjohnson on June 14, 2006 at 6:27 AM (PDT)

you people think cause apple acts cool, trendy and liberal they’re any different? they’re a big company with the same policy as microsoft: to make money. they just create products and market them well, so that people buy ipods and pcs from them and not from somebody else who makes better crap. their products cost the same to make as any other but are overpriced and overappreciated. come on now… it’s apple. have you ever owned one? they’re WAY overpriced… and to make them in sweatshops? tsk tsk tsk… c’mon now…

Posted by apple_is_no_different on June 14, 2006 at 6:37 AM (PDT)

I love everything about apple… the ipods.. the apple white… the sound quality and OSX. But I hate big companies. As a rule (not necesarilly because of they’re owners - there are many other lesser “demons” in all big companies) companies that attain a certain big share of the market turn evil. And Apple is no different. Therefore I hate Apple… I just love what they make smile. Because of this I know that Apple knew about the working and environmental conditions at their manufacturing plant in China. Of course they did! You don’t know what happens in your own pocket? And because I can’t live with or without Apple… I simply ignore them and keep on using my iPod. I mean… why get angry about something I have entirely no power over? Right?

Posted by Just me on June 14, 2006 at 7:00 AM (PDT)

iPod has to be paranoid about control and attention to detail because every one of you democrats in America are so quick to point fingers and throw lawsuits at people.  Its not Apple’s problem how much the workers in China get paid.  If they dont like their job…let them quit.  Or move to Mexico and try to skip across the border to the United States to earn more money here.

The bottom line is, these people work for “x” amount of dollars, they spend half of that of food and boarding, which is what everyone in the workforce across the globe does.

How do you think those shoes you are wearing were made?  This is just the most recent thing for people to make a stink about.  Wait till the American forces have a substantial victory again next week in Iraq then you loosers will have a new topic to pick apart as you listen to the breaking news on your iPod podcasts.

Posted by Mark on June 14, 2006 at 9:57 AM (PDT)

There’s an updated article from WP (you can find it on MSNBC) saying that the Apple factory in China is employing about 200,000 people who have to live in dormitories where no visitors are allowed.  Also, they’re working 15-hour days and making $50 a month….

Posted by ingallsra on June 16, 2006 at 7:54 AM (PDT)

How funny. Like Apple doesn’t know where and under what conditions their products are made!

Posted by Jerry on June 16, 2006 at 12:35 PM (PDT)

I wonder how many millions Apple will make while they “Look into the issue”.  Our whole economy has been hijacked by corporate America, try doing what they do here in the USA but don’t interfere with them outside huh?  I wonder how Bono feels about all the promoting U2 did for Apple.  Would love to see the Beutiful day video with these poor women working in the background (sold at your local Wal-Mart or Tesco of course)

Posted by Daniel Hogsed on June 19, 2006 at 4:14 AM (PDT)

Oh, and I forgot to even mention prices vs what they are paying for labor.  In the US they claim outsourcing and overseas markets allow them to keep prices low.  So I pay $400 for a device that they use $50 month labor to build.  I would have to get a loan to buy one if they made them in the US I guess.
We deserve what we are getting!! As the world wanders about with eyes wide shut!!

Posted by Daniel Hogsed on June 19, 2006 at 4:17 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2