Apple responds to Scandinavian iTunes DRM complaints | iLounge News

Apple responds to Scandinavian iTunes DRM complaints

Apple has replied to criticism of its iTunes DRM (digital rights management) policy, meeting the August 1st deadline set by consumer rights agencies in Denmark, Norway and Sweden. The Consumer Council of Norway said it is still reviewing the letter—which could determine the future of the iTunes Music Store in the three Scandinavian countries—and hasn’t yet released it to the public. The Norwegian council was the first to file a complaint with Apple, requesting that the company make changes to its iTunes Music Store terms of agreement and to┬ádefend its DRM policy. The council said Apple violates the Norwegian Copyright Act because iTunes-purchased songs can’t be played on other devices. Consumer rights agencies in Denmark and Sweden followed suit.

« Pod Safe locking iPod security case announced

iSoundCap for iPod nano, shuffle announced »

Comments

Uhhhh as long Apple makes it clear what you are getting for the money you pay then too bad. If you don’t like the terms and conditions and you don’t like the DRM spend your money elsewhere. I don’t like tuna casserole. But I don’t go into a restaurant, order the tuna casserole, then complain because it tastes like crap.

Posted by rrogers on August 1, 2006 at 3:12 PM (PDT)

What the hell are you talking about? The restaurant thing…. seriously, what the hell? Unless the restaurant is supposed to be giving out bad food, you have every right to complain. What you are paying for when you go to a restaurant is good food, and if you don’t get what you paid for, it is a problem.

Anyway, the point is their DRM is against the law there. While here it might seem stupid that someone would want music that they paid for on other devices, over there it isn’t. So Apple either has to pull the store or they have to change their laws.

Posted by Adam on August 2, 2006 at 9:16 AM (PDT)

So Apple either has to pull the store or they have to change their laws.

Or change their DRM policies. Like THAT will ever happen, at least willingly.

Say bye-bye to iTMS, Scandinavia. Not that being denied DRMed music is much to cry over.

Posted by flatline response on August 2, 2006 at 11:03 AM (PDT)

The article says: “because music buyers can’t play the music they buy on the player of their choice.”

Does anyone know the actual letter of the law, because this is pretty far reaching? If this is the gist of the law, then any online music sale is in violation. How many online music vendors make downloads compatible with Minidisc players? What if that’s the player of my choice? What if the player of my choice is my cassette deck? Or my 8-Track? And I though California was bad.

Posted by BT on August 2, 2006 at 11:16 AM (PDT)

@BT: I believe that the problem is that those incompatibilities exist because nobody makes a WMA compatible 8-track player, not that MS is flatly refusing to support such a device if one comes into existence.

There is no technological hurdle to playing Fairplay songs on any existing DAP any more than there is a technological hurdle to playing WMA-DRM songs on an iPod, only Apple, the company in trouble, for refusing to license their DRM or support any other DRM.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on August 2, 2006 at 2:13 PM (PDT)

Wow Adam. My point didn’t come across as I intended.My point was, if you don’t like music with DRM don’t buy it. If Apples DRM scheme doesn’t meet the legal requirements of Scandinavia then I concede your point it is well within those countries rights to prohibit the products sale in their countries. You are correct I go to a restaurant expecting to buy good food. But if I don’t like whats on the menu I should leave the restaurant and take my business elsewhere. To your point, it isn’t a debate about the good or evil of DRM, its about adhering to the laws of the countries in question.

Posted by rrogers on August 3, 2006 at 1:34 PM (PDT)