iPhone supplies dip, increase; AT&T hoarding phones?
Apple has begun restocking iPhones at its retail stores nationwide, following yesterday’s near sell-out of the device. Apple’s iPhone availability page showed sell outs at all but two of the company’s 164 retail stores yesterday, but today that figure has rebounded, with 44% of the stores reporting stock. The restocking, however, seems centered more on the East Coast and Midwest — stores on the West Coast remain sold out, from Washington to California. Many stores appear to be releasing their new inventory around noon, as several iLounge editors have succeeded at finding iPhones around noon at stores that were sold out in the morning.
Another iLounge editor had a surprising visit to an AT&T store, which may indicate unfair practices by the cellular giant. Our editor went in to see if they had any iPhones in stock, or had received a new shipment — to which an AT&T sales clerk responded with a resounding “no.” After taking our editor’s number in an effort to “call him when they come in,” the clerk noticed that he was a potential new customer, and proceeded to bring out two new 8GB iPhones, phones that he previously said were unavailable. The clerk then explained that the store was reserving iPhones for new customers only — the store in question had received around 20 units earlier in the day. It is unclear whether this practice is widespread throughout AT&T retail stores.
- VISA ‘tokenization’ may speed Apple Pay EU deployment
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 2 to developers
- Toyota currently has ‘no plans’ to adopt CarPlay in the US
- Report: Apple to release iOS public betas
- Apple extends two-step verification to FaceTime, iMessage
- Apple raises size limit for Apps to 4GB
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple adds vehicles to list of company’s activities in Switzerland
- Cook: Apple Watch to be available outside U.S. in April
- Apple Watch to have low energy ‘Power Reserve’ mode
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, subscribe now
- Cook: Apple Watch ‘designed to be able to replace car keys’
- Apple again under fire as Ericsson escalates legal action
- Apple announces ‘Spring Forward’ event for March 9
- Brikk unveils opulent Apple Watch line priced up to $75,000
- Apple Maps adds new third-party data providers
- Apple ordered to pay $532.9m in iTunes patent infringement case
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iWalk Extreme Trio 10,000 Universal Battery
- NewerTech NuGuard KX for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Incipio Clarion and Faraday for iPad Air 2
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?