Apple reveals details of $100 Apple Store iPhone credit | iLounge News

Apple reveals details of $100 Apple Store iPhone credit

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Friday, September 14, 2007
News Categories: iPhone

Apple has posted details of Apple CEO Steve Jobs’ promised $100 Apple Store credit for early iPhone owners. The program is for customers who own a qualifying iPhone purchased prior to August 22, 2007, and who haven’t yet received any compensation from Apple or AT&T. To receive a credit, which can’t be used on iTunes — only at Apple retail or online stores, or Apple Telesales — users need to Identify their iPhone by entering their phone number and iPhone serial number. Apple then sends an SMS text message to the iPhone containing an access code to redeem the $100 credit. Again, users need to enter their phone number and this access code to generate the $100 electronic store credit. Users must activate their iPhone before submitting their claim; customers must submit their claims by November 30, 2007.

« Apple image points to iPhone firmware v.1.1.1 [updated]

iPod classics exhibit random crashes, lockups »

Comments

done and done. couldn’t be easier.

thanks, Apple!

Posted by luke on September 14, 2007 at 7:22 AM (PDT)

Agreed. Totally easy. Thanks, Apple!

Posted by thelottery on September 14, 2007 at 7:55 AM (PDT)

Done! Hopefully v-moda has their new duo’s by 11/30.

Posted by trip024 on September 14, 2007 at 8:01 AM (PDT)

Super easy to do, whole process took about 15 seconds ... may take longer as the later adopters form a line. Good job Apple.

Posted by JINTEXAS on September 14, 2007 at 8:30 AM (PDT)

Didn’t work for me…I changed my phone number after initial activation and my current # doesn’t work. Just sent them an email.

Posted by mattf on September 14, 2007 at 8:30 AM (PDT)

Worked like a charm! Thx Jobs!

Posted by GigiMars on September 14, 2007 at 8:36 AM (PDT)

Didn’t work for me either.  I am not an AT&T customer (they won’t sell service to folks in my area of the USA).

This leads me to believe that the $100 coupon must be directly or indirectly funded by AT&T.

Posted by iloungelizard on September 14, 2007 at 9:16 AM (PDT)

“Your phone is not recognized”

Email to apple.

Posted by Stephen on September 14, 2007 at 9:53 AM (PDT)

No problem with getting the credit.

Big problem figuring out how to spend it.

Posted by Flippy Hambone on September 14, 2007 at 9:56 AM (PDT)

So, those of us that sold our phones after purchase are basically F#$í!  I purchased it, I should be the rebate…way to go Apple…screw your iPhone purchasers.  There is no reason that the person who bought it from me should get the rebate!  They should be required to have a receipt showing the date of purchase!  This is bull#$%@!!!!  What was already a small profit, is now nonexistent!

Posted by franticnomad on September 14, 2007 at 10:04 AM (PDT)

Apple isn’t trying to benefit the iPhone reseller, they are trying to benefit the iPhone buyer/end user. If you bought one and tried to profit via the secondary market, why should Apple give you a store credit?

Posted by Flippy Hambone on September 14, 2007 at 10:12 AM (PDT)

i like the fact that apple is extending a $100 credit to its customers.  but it would be better if they just gave cash.  it was a good p.r. move by apple to make themselves look good because in the end they still get your money since it’s a “store credit.”

Posted by the fifth element on September 14, 2007 at 10:18 AM (PDT)

to flippy…

it’s simple…I was the original buyer from apple, not them.  part of the process should require a purchase receipt.  and apple isn’t trying to benefit the apple end user either, it’s themselves that get the benefit from future business.

Posted by franticnomad on September 14, 2007 at 10:26 AM (PDT)

I, as the purchaser and user of my iPhone, am very glad I didn’t have to show my receipt.  I have it, but this process was way simpler than it would have been had I needed to go in somewhere with the receipt, especially since I’ll likely use the credit from the Apple online store.

And also, you said “What was already a small profit, is now nonexistent!”  This is just completely not accurate.  If you had a small profit before, you still have a small profit.  What didn’t happen is for you to turn your small profit into a large one.

Posted by Rod Dunn on September 14, 2007 at 11:16 AM (PDT)

To bring this conversation back to those who purchased an iPhone for the luxury of owning one and feeling satisfied that we didnt get screwed wth a 200 dollar loss (now a 100 dollar loss wink )...

This worked like a charm… smile

Posted by djJASMAN in California on September 14, 2007 at 11:47 AM (PDT)

I’m really glad Apple is doing this for a coupla reasons. To start, their initial price tag was way too high for this thing, as awesome as it may be (it is pretty amazing). Second of all, Apple wouldn’t wanna create bad blood between its’ customers and it by just lowering the price of the iPhone and not compensating the first people to have it.

Although there might already be a teeny bit of bad blood anyway…. lol.

btw… the new iPod line is very, very impressive. to say the least.

Posted by Matthew406 on September 14, 2007 at 11:51 AM (PDT)

Franticnomad, your plea is flawed because though you correctly state that Apple ultimately benefits from the store credit, the idea of extending it was NOT to reward the reseller but the user. You could have kept the phone for personal use but instead elected to sell and make a profit. That’s your right, certainly, but you cannot reasonably complain about not receiving the store credit. The first sentence of the credit program’s terms and conditions explicitly states that it is for “end-customers who own a qualifying Apple iPhone.”

Not requiring a receipt better facilitates this credit process, and keeps people who discarded their receipts from getting the ol’ shaft. What you desire is a loophole that allows you to reap benefits that rightfully belong to the party to whom you sold the iPhone. That’s not right.

Incidentally, you sold an iPhone for more than $599. It now sells for $399, so you’ve pretty much made out like the proverbial bandit here.

Posted by Flippy Hambone on September 14, 2007 at 12:28 PM (PDT)

All these rebates and the iPhone still has no flash

Posted by Gee on September 15, 2007 at 1:25 PM (PDT)

Worked like a charm.  Then that afternoon, I went to my local Apple Store, which wasn’t much busier than usual, and bought the Bluetooth headset I had been planning to buy after my next paycheck.

Posted by classicalduck on September 15, 2007 at 5:51 PM (PDT)

FYI…
I just spent my rebate, much like everyone else here, and found out that the only way of using it for iTunes music is by buying an iTunes Card from the Apple Store that must be shipped to you - the email version of their gift cards don’t allow apple gift cards to be used. Real weird in my opinion but now I can go and purchase some full fledge albums that I been wanting to purchase - the Beatles would have been nice right about now…

Posted by djJASMAN in California on September 15, 2007 at 9:17 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >