Apple seen expanding use of flash memory | iLounge News

Apple seen expanding use of flash memory

American Technology Research analyst Shaw Wu said that recent supply chain checks suggest that Apple plans to expand its use of NAND flash memory in iPods and Macs. In addition to a new “subnotebook” that will use NAND flash for its primary storage, Wu said Apple plans to soon have an all-flash iPod lineup. “Our sources indicate that Apple plans to migrate the rest of its iPod product line to NAND flash from HDDs (the current vPod is the only model remaining); however, fairly low price points and customer appetite for high storage capacities will likely prevent this from happening until late 2007-2008,” Wu said. “In addition, we are picking up that a widescreen vPod will not likely ship until after iPhone ships in the June timeframe to not take away from iPhone’s launch.”

« Elecom Portable iPod Speaker Charger introduced

Mix: Apple CFO, Google, (PRODUCT) RED, TiVo/Unbox »

Comments

I’d really love a new vPod to come out soon.  My 3G iPod is dying, but I don’t want to buy the current vPod because I know there will be a major upgrade soon. Does anyone know an approximate timeframe for the launch of the new vPod?

Posted by Mark C. on March 7, 2007 at 10:38 AM (PDT)

The 30Gb video iPod is a lot of product and functionality for the money. It will be some time before NAND is cheap enough to compete - and by them we’ll all be using iPhones anyway..!

I’ve never been convinced of the need for a widescreen video iPod. There have been plenty of portable media centre products around for years and very few people actually buy them. If I want to watch a film on the move I’ll use my laptop rather than an iPod type device. The only time I use the video functionality on my 5G iPod is on short public transport journeys.

Posted by drevo_uk in UK on March 7, 2007 at 10:55 AM (PDT)

Yet another piece of gold from Shaw “I make money recollecting and summarizing internet rumors two weeks later” Wu, aka Shaw “I state the obvious” Wu. Ah, don’t listen to me, I’m just jealous.

Posted by Bad Beaver on March 7, 2007 at 11:08 AM (PDT)

I hope they keep making music-only (or at least primarily music-focused) high capacity HDD-based iPods.  I’d really like a 120 GB iPod.  Don’t need a widescreen anything just more HDD capacity.

Posted by dodo on March 7, 2007 at 11:37 AM (PDT)

I’ve never been convinced of the need for a widescreen video iPod.

On the other hand, after using a Zune for several months, I’m MORE THAN CONVINCED that a large screen iPod is sorely needed for video convergence. Switching back and forth between the Zune and my vid-only 5G…there’s no question for me that the bigger screen is far more appealing to view and use.

Posted by flatline response on March 7, 2007 at 11:40 AM (PDT)

The more space the better. I like to have my library with me at all times. Makes me feel more secure :-p But with the iPhone coming out I’ll probably get so use to 8 GB of space I’ll end up enjoying my music more.

Posted by AZ on March 7, 2007 at 12:16 PM (PDT)

Mark C, apparently Apple try to release iPods September time to before Christmas. So that they have a good line for for the holidays.

Posted by ryan10ad on March 7, 2007 at 12:47 PM (PDT)

It’s quite possible that future iPods will act like portable Apple TVs, meaning they will have a cache of locally stored content, but will be able to stream content from your own home network, or even the Internet.  If that is the case, then 16GB would suffice.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on March 7, 2007 at 12:54 PM (PDT)

Does anyone know if there is any reason why Apple can’t put multiple NAND Flash memory modules into a single iPod (like in an array), thus avoiding the wait until the Flash manufacturers can start producing larger modules??  It sure seems like a good idea…

Posted by Steve-o on March 7, 2007 at 1:08 PM (PDT)

Hmm…

Don’t expect a new ipod anytime before September. The big screen is all the talk of Zune and Apple should nix that advantage right off.

I believe the 8GB Nano uses 2 4GB modules?
It should be cheap enough now for apple to place two 16GB modules in the next gen iPod.

HEY, how soon after apple transfers all ipods to flash does Microsoft anounce Zune is the no. 1 selling HDD palyer? Pretty quick I’d say.

Posted by Bizarro Ballmer on March 7, 2007 at 1:39 PM (PDT)

Because of the price, Steve-o, because of the price. Otherwise it should be no problem.

Posted by Bad Beaver on March 7, 2007 at 1:50 PM (PDT)

I hope they don’t get rid of the Hardrive, becuase I ran out of space on my 80 gig, and I’m hoping for at least a 100 gig ipod.

Posted by stevenjuke on March 7, 2007 at 5:28 PM (PDT)

I can find 4gb sd cards for about $30 retail. So you figure Apple can get wholesale prices much less. Say $20?? 20gb nano for $100 in memory costs, or 32 gb for $160 in memory costs. Hopefully we’ll continue to see new lines of iPods and new possibilities. HDD and Flash versions. Large capacity flash drives at a reasonable cost are still a few years off. Give it two years and the 32gb cards will go for around what the cheapest 8’s are going for now == $55-$60.

Pointless contribution I realize now that I’m done typing. Haha.

Posted by uphillslide on March 9, 2007 at 12:20 PM (PDT)

was wondering does anyone one know how you can expand the memory of a nano, mine full but i sont want to delete anymore off it.

Posted by ttoliver on April 19, 2008 at 2:43 AM (PDT)