Apple sees ‘tremendous’ interest in new iPod shuffle | iLounge News

Apple sees ‘tremendous’ interest in new iPod shuffle

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Wednesday, November 8, 2006
News Categories:

image

Apple is seeing a large amount of consumer interest in its second-generation iPod shuffle and is upbeat about the upcoming holiday shopping season. “Response to it has been tremendous,” said Phil Schiller, Apple’s head of worldwide product marketing, referring to the new shuffle, which started shipping late last month. “We’re really excited about the holiday period.” Schiller did not provide any specific sales figures.

« Fox movies could be on their way to iTunes Store

Case-mate intros cases for 2G iPod nano »

Comments

This really isnt much of a surprise just look at it. Aesthetically its a work of art add in the good 1gb memory and the horrendously cheap price tag and you have somthing bound to sell well.

Ive got one of the first in my college and have for the last week getting small glances and comments about it. Overall in the run up to christmas it also makes a very good christmas present.

Posted by johnathan on November 8, 2006 at 2:40 PM (PDT)

the price is not “horrendously cheap”.  i agree it is a great looking device, but its price is not very amazing.

Posted by zip22 on November 8, 2006 at 3:26 PM (PDT)

well..whether an item is “horrendously cheap” or not is all relative…

i’ve had this shuffle since friday and it’s great!

Posted by tycol25 on November 8, 2006 at 3:41 PM (PDT)

well..whether an item is “horrendously cheap” or not is all relative…

So is defining it as a ‘work of art’.

For some (up to no good) reason it just reminds me of a 2G nano that’s been run through a band saw, like some sort of DAP equivalent of sliced salami.

Posted by flatline response on November 8, 2006 at 5:30 PM (PDT)

The 2G shuffle is pretty cool, but without a display, it will always be a glorified toy.  It’s great for the gym, and if you don’t care about playlists, but good luck finding and playing the music you want to hear without a computer nearby.  While it’s not that cheap, if it got stolen at the gym, or crushed in your book bag or something, it wouldn’t be the end of the world.  It’s cool enough, and cheap enough, to make a great present.

Posted by genius on November 8, 2006 at 7:48 PM (PDT)

genius

the shuffle is for people that have no interest in playlist or whats next. or they would have gotten a nano or 5.5g that simple.

i own both a 3g and 1g shuffle with the shuffle i piut stuff on there that i listen to most often so that i dont have to worry about whats next cuz i know its good.

just my refuttal

Posted by BIGP in Texas on November 8, 2006 at 9:02 PM (PDT)

One review I read recently said it best: “the shuffle is your own personal radio station”.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on November 8, 2006 at 9:34 PM (PDT)

I want a (Red) one…

Posted by macphisto on November 8, 2006 at 10:30 PM (PDT)

Oh man… a (RED) shuffle would be hot hot hot.

Funny to me that people forget that only a handful of years ago you couldn’t even buy a portable CD player for under $50, and it only played 12 songs at a time (give or take), there were no playlists, no displays telling you what’s up next, it ran on AA batteries, and the thing was the size of a small dinner plate. Now we have something like the Shuffle, which plays 1500 songs (give or take), costs 79 friggin bucks, lasts 10 hours on a single charge, and is smaller than a Now-and-Later.

By the way “genius”... all mp3 players do the same thing: PLAY MUSIC.

Posted by thelottery on November 9, 2006 at 7:55 AM (PDT)

i love ipod. i got the old ipod shuffle for xmas and put all my fav songs on it. i enjoyed it so much, i went out and bought the 30GB Ipod, now i wish i had the 60GB. ive got movies, audiobooks, photos, games, music, tv shows on my 30GB ipod. I love it! i love the itunes store too!

Posted by raindrop on November 9, 2006 at 8:01 AM (PDT)

yah, i got one. didn’t need it, but i had gift cards to best buy and they rarely have anything i want.
i agree with thelottery. CD players weren’t that long ago. I remeber taking dozens of CDs with me on bus trips. but with a shuffle, you can fit all those CDs into a single playlist. You can search through the songs to find a song, just like we did with the old discman. *gasp* And skip protection? I never worry about that anymore. I used to have to hold my CD player perfectly still to have optimal listening experience.

Posted by Matt on November 9, 2006 at 8:05 AM (PDT)

I hope the “tremendous” interest gets Apple to fix the iTunes/Windows/USB issue that has many 2G Shuffle owners frustrated right now.

Posted by jedi_dad on November 9, 2006 at 8:50 AM (PDT)

The Shuffle is also great for listening to podcasts while doing something else, like driving, yardwork or housework. In those situations I don’t want to have to look at a screen to navigate, and the long duration of the podcasts (30 to 90 minutes) means I don’t to navigate very much. I just want to be able to easily pause it or change volume by feel. If I need to find a specific podcast, I print out the playlist on paper and fold it up in my back pocket. It’s low-tech but works amazingly well. Better than squinting at a tiny screen.

I also have a dedicated Shuffle in the car just for Audiobooks. I just bring it in the house on weekends to recharge and refresh the books. I works great. I just start and stop it when necessary.

Posted by Scotto on November 9, 2006 at 9:24 AM (PDT)

thelottery, you must be using some really crappy files if you can fit 1500.  apple’s estimate is 240.  the battery life is also closer to 18 hours (according to the ilounge review).

Posted by zip22 on November 9, 2006 at 10:01 AM (PDT)

A (red)shuffle would be a HUGE hit!

Posted by kero on November 9, 2006 at 10:13 AM (PDT)

“The 2G shuffle is pretty cool, but without a display, it will always be a glorified toy.”

Aren’t all IPODs glorified toys?

Posted by erbfan on November 9, 2006 at 11:54 AM (PDT)

“Aren’t all IPODs glorified toys?”

You are probably right.  I just meant that this is Apple’s low-end offering in the DAP market.  It’s a solid player, no doubt, but trying to find a specific track or album among 1500 songs while on a treadmill isn’t very practical with the shuffle.  Obviously, that’s not important to some people.  I use the shuffle feature more often than not, and I don’t always recognize the artists.  It’s a good thing I have a display, eh?

Posted by genius on November 9, 2006 at 12:08 PM (PDT)

am i missing something?  where the hell did this 1500 number come from?

it can hold around 240 songs.  that doesn’t mean you need to fill it.  you can put on one playlist or a couple albums.  skipping around is easy.  you can always move to the first song with 3 clicks of the play button.

Posted by zip22 on November 9, 2006 at 12:12 PM (PDT)

You clip it on your pants put the headphones in your pocket and forget about it. No clutter in your pocket. You have some time on the metro pull out the phones and finishe that podcast you were listening to. It is simple and therefore better.

Posted by BEM on November 11, 2006 at 11:55 PM (PDT)

In the real world, the shuffle 2 can hold about 180 songs. I now use it more than my iPod video because its so small. It may not have all the bells and whistles but it sure is fun to use.

Posted by podster1 on November 12, 2006 at 10:02 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >