Apple, AT&T send out ‘Get Ready’ iPhone email | iLounge News

Apple, AT&T send out ‘Get Ready’ iPhone email

image

Apple and AT&T have sent out a mass email with recommended preparation steps for the iPhone. The subject of the announcement reads “Get Ready. iPhone is coming June 29,” while the body lists suggestions for both PC and Mac users on how to get ready for the iPhone. These tips are broken down by sections, “Contacts,” “Calendar,” “Email,” “Photos,” “Music and Video,” and “iTunes Account.” Each section includes a brief description on how it works on the iPhone, and then an explanation of how customers can prepare. Of particular interest, the “iTunes Account” section reveals that an iTunes account will be required to set up the iPhone. Keep reading to see a summary of Apple’s suggestions.

Contacts
Since iPhone takes contact information from existing applications on your computer, Apple recommends using Address Book, Entourage, Outlook, Outlook Express, or Yahoo! Address Book to prepare your contacts for automatic synchronization with iPhone, and suggests you get phone numbers and e-mail addresses up to date. It notes that you can also enter contact information directly into iPhone, as well.

Calendar
iPhone can import events from your current computer provided you use iCal or Entourage on the Mac, or Outlook on your PC, similar to the way it handles contacts. Apple suggests that if you don’t already use one of these applications, you can start right now and be prepared, but that if you choose not to use a Calendar program, you can still enter appointments directly into the iPhone.

If you’re using Mail on a Mac or Outlook on a PC, the iPhone will automatically sync your email account settings through iTunes. Most popular email systems, including Yahoo! Mail, Gmail, AOL, and .Mac Mail, work on the iPhone, as do industry-standard POP and IMAP systems. iPhone will also be able to automatically retrieve your email on a set schedule.

Photos
Along with storing photos taken with its built-in 2-megapixel camera, the iPhone can also display photos synced to the device through iTunes. Photos can be imported from iPhoto on a Mac, or Adobe Photoshop Elements, Adobe Photoshop Album, or any picture folder from a PC. While the iPhone can hold thousands of images, Apple suggests creating an album/folder with 50 to 100 of your favorite photos.

Music and Video
iTunes is required to sync your music and video to the iPhone, so if you don’t currently use iTunes, Apple recommends that you download it ahead of time and start a music and video library. It also suggests making a playlist of a few hundred of your favorite songs.

iTunes Account
In order to set up iPhone, you need to have an iTunes account. Apple recommends creating an account ahead of the launch if you don’t have one already, in order to save time. Note that iTunes is required to create an iTunes store account. If you already have an account, double check to make sure you have your account name and password written down and/or memorized.

« Apple bringing iTunes to Bebo?

Apple announces iTunes Festival London »

Comments

iPhone will not support Flash!  Goodbye iPhone.

Posted by Obadiah on June 12, 2007 at 10:24 AM (PDT)

“...a few hundred of your favorite songs?”

So this won’t replace my 40GB video ipod if I have 7,000+ songs, I’ll need to carry both devices.  That’s a deal-breaker for me.

Posted by Marie on June 12, 2007 at 10:44 AM (PDT)

Marie

8g is fine Do you really listen to 7000 songs at once or in day? or in a week? or in a year? 8g would hold more than enough songs for along time. Bring the 40g on very long trips.

Posted by Brian on June 12, 2007 at 11:05 AM (PDT)

marie,

ya say that as if you are completely surprised. it was announced at the initial ANNOUNCEMENT the iPhone would be available in a 4gig and an 8gig model.

Posted by luke on June 12, 2007 at 11:24 AM (PDT)

Brian,

I’m not sure why Marie wants more than a few hundred of her favorite songs… but I know why *I* would want more than 100-300 songs:

Simply put, when I load music onto my iPod, I’m at my desk.  I’m not listening to the iPod until I’m on the plane, stuck in the airport, or trying to find something to help me sleep when I’m in a hotel.  At any of those moments, I might want to choose something far different than what I selected back at my desk.

Having a 20, 30, 40, 60, or (gasp) 80 GB iPod allows you the CHOICE of listening to what you want, when you want.

Now… much of the hype about the iPhone is generated by blogs, media, and comments attached to articles like this one.  Those abovementioned sources are the root of people saying the iPhone is going to be the “one and only” device that you’ll ever, ever need.  I don’t think Apple is saying that.

I think the iPhone is a very cool device, which isn’t a surprise.  After all, Apple has a long history of creating cool devices.

It’s a pity that the phone only uses EDGE networks and doesn’t have a replaceable battery.  When they make the battery user-replaceable *and* have 3G speeds, then the iPhone will be truly remarkable.

Posted by Tyler on June 12, 2007 at 11:31 AM (PDT)

Why would you need an iTunes Store account if you don’t buy from them?

Posted by Ian on June 12, 2007 at 1:00 PM (PDT)

Ian, so that they will know everything about you - down to the color of your underwear.

Posted by Anon on June 12, 2007 at 2:21 PM (PDT)

Jeez people, how MANY songs do you need at any given time?  I have over 800 songs(over 2 days worth) and that takes up just under 4 gigs.  So with my 8 gig iPhone, I can have all my music, all my photos, and a couple of movies.  Do anybody need anything more?  That’s over 52 HOURS of non-stop entertainment!

Posted by nilesmitchell on June 12, 2007 at 2:32 PM (PDT)

I think it’s been proven with the AppleTV that under-sized memory capacity is a detriment. Going from 40GB -> 160GB is not a small step and is a response to huge buyer criticism.  I would expect Apple to increase the memory size of the iPhone by Christmas if they don’t sell as well.

BTW, the AppleTV makes THE PERFECT MOBILE MULTIMEDIA PLAYER FOR CARS/VANS/SUVS. Sync it in your driveway!!! Watch all your videos, no DVDs all over the place!!!

Posted by will_bc on June 12, 2007 at 4:15 PM (PDT)

For everyone, to each their own when it comes to the size of their music collection or a subset of their collection. If you don’t have the time and patience to make out your playlists of specific songs, then a larger memory capacity device is for you.

Respect each other’s preference for listening convenience. More or less memory.

Regarding having an iTunes account, how many people have credit cards or memberships they don’t use?  ‘Nuff said.

Posted by will_bc on June 12, 2007 at 4:22 PM (PDT)

you gotta remember too (speaking on size) that all of us on these boards would be considered “semi-pro” apple users who actually care about this stuff.

I too have a ton of songs…but when their main market isn’t business (hence business professionals w/ money) size is really not an issue…

especially when people who will be buying the iphone probably have a nano or shuffle that does them quite nicely.

just my 2 1/2 cents

Posted by twitzgall on June 12, 2007 at 6:16 PM (PDT)

Well, speaking of devices capacity: I personally carry a nearly full 30GB 5.5 iPod plus a cell phone. The big idea with iPhone (and what we were all dreaming about) is that it’s an all-in-one device. So, I know that I’ll just have to be selective on the music dropped in it but it also mean that the time is not yet come that it will totally replace my iPod, sadly.

Posted by niclet on June 12, 2007 at 9:31 PM (PDT)

Like the Apple TV, the Iphone will get a larger upgrade at some point.

Posted by Scarpad on June 13, 2007 at 5:46 AM (PDT)

I was very pleased with the service pricing selections mentioned in the email.

[Moderator note: Insult to other readers removed; please avoid ad hominem attacks on fellow readers.]

Posted by FahrenheiPod 451 on June 13, 2007 at 8:53 AM (PDT)

for all of you that say that 8gbs or a few hundred songs is enough, good for you.

some of us are quite diverse in our music as i currently have just shy of 50gbs of music alone, add pics and videos and i can very easily fill my 80gb iPod.

so of course the iPhone will not replace my iPod, and i don’t think it was intended to replace any iPod. It is bigger than a Nano or Shuffle thus no good for working out, running, etc. It would replace some peoples smart phones or pdas as long it is not running some specific software that only runs on MS Mobile or Palm.

I am not in the market. at least not yet, for the iPhone but some of you people are so quick to point why you won’t get it. it is a matter of choice, respect others, geez!

Posted by hydra-calm on June 13, 2007 at 9:26 AM (PDT)

speaking from someone involved with the music industry, i have a ton of stuff on my ipod, music alone, but at the same point, i cant see an iphone replacing my phone and ipod, just my phone, but being able to play music far better than most phones on the market.

sure, if you’re a nano, mini, or shuffle user, you’ll have convergence, but many of us musicheads will not be relying on an iphone (should we purchase one), purely for the fact that it’s a 4/8 gb music player.

Posted by millhouse on June 13, 2007 at 10:55 AM (PDT)

I wonder why nobody has mentioned the compatibility between the iPhone and after market car audio decks. I have a 60GB iPod plugged into an Alpine CDE-9881 and I wonder if the iPhone would function at all with these kinds of units.

Posted by Matthew on June 13, 2007 at 11:10 AM (PDT)

”...doesn’t have a replaceable battery.”

All batteries are generally replaceable. But if you mean a user-replaceable battery, I thought Jobs said that the original iPhone concept was amended to include an accessible battery compartment to address this issue.

As for having room for THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of songs…I don’t care if people think it’s excessive; I want it, simply because I HATE HAVING TO MICRO-MANAGE the files already on my iPod, even if it’s only every couple of weeks or so. I want the cap so when I rip new CDs I can simply ADD them to the player, and not fret over figuring out what songs I need to remove in order to make room…EXACTLY what I do now with my 8GB nano.

Posted by flatline response on June 13, 2007 at 4:41 PM (PDT)

The iPhone won’t replace my iPod, but it will replace my iPod and Razr for my commute to/from work, which is 20 minutes each way. 8 GB is plenty for 40 minutes per day not to mention listening at work, which I personally don’t.

Posted by technolawyer on June 13, 2007 at 7:30 PM (PDT)

I will not be buying one of these. I’m in the security business and trusting Apple to do something securely is like asking a fox to guard the chickens.

Posted by blah on June 21, 2007 at 7:46 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >