Apple sets $10 price for iPod touch 3.0 software, free for iPhones | iLounge News

Apple sets $10 price for iPod touch 3.0 software, free for iPhones

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, March 17, 2009
News Categories: iPhone, iPod

In keeping with past releases of the iPhone OS software for the iPhone and iPod touch, Apple today announced that the iPhone and iPhone 3G versions of iPhone OS 3.0 will be free for current iPhone users, and that the iPod touch version will be available for $10. Slides at the event, interestingly, depicted the iPhone as receiving a new Voice Memos application previously announced in the presentation, while the iPod touch was shown without the application; it is unclear whether Apple will attempt to charge iPod touch users separately for the voice recording functionality. iPod nano and iPod classic users have a free integrated application for this purpose.

« iPhone OS stats: 30M devices, 25k apps, 800m downloads, 96% approved

Apple intros In-App Purchase micro-transaction service »

Comments

I still don’t see why we iPod touch owners have to pay for major software updates! iPhone owners get exactly the same thing for free - why should we have to pay?!?

Posted by NFreak007 on March 17, 2009 at 12:25 PM (PDT)

Agreed, i’m an iPhone user so it won’t affect me but it’s still unfair..

Posted by Durrson on March 17, 2009 at 12:33 PM (PDT)

The iPod Touch would not have a Voice memo application since it does not have a speaker (version 1) as well as no microphone.
As for the $10 upgrade, yes I think it is a bit strange to charge for it, but the other alternative is to not offer it at all and then each new upgrade would require a new purchase of hardware. between the $10 and no upgrade, I will pay the $10 if it offers something to extend the usefulness of my current iPod touch version 1.

Posted by robCass on March 17, 2009 at 12:37 PM (PDT)

@ NFreak007 I agree, I am an iPhone 3G user but I think by not offering it free you are limited iPod touch users to 2.0 apps and for those that can’t afford to update or perhaps have parents with credit cards and can’t gain access to this but wants free apps. I suspect there will be plenty of iPod touch users still on 1.1.4 as they don’t know how to upgrade perhaps. This means developers will just end up with less money as people can’t use the games with these new features.

Posted by Rob Sammons on March 17, 2009 at 12:40 PM (PDT)

tut tut i dont see this going too well with my fellow ipod touch users. i shall stick to my version 2.2 as it does exactly what i require from it.

Posted by mikelarry85 on March 17, 2009 at 12:56 PM (PDT)

I can’t recall the exact details, but there is a government restriction as to why Apple can’t give free software updates to the iPod Touch line, or to any other product that has no additional cost once it’s been purchased.  MacBook owners could pay $1 to upgrade their built in WiFi to 802.11n, even though it was just flipping a bit in software.

I wish I could remember the name of the law. I want to say its Sox, but I could be wrong.

It’s not that Apple hates iPod Touch users.

Posted by Donald Roeber on March 17, 2009 at 1:17 PM (PDT)

I do not see a problem with offering the update at a charge of $9.95 but I am more interested to know when the Touch will ship with the “new OS” and will they grandfather in people that purchase a Touch from now until they are released?  They did not introduce a new device so really the only difference will be the operating system it comes preloaded with.  Unless I was in dire need of a Touch, why would I buy one now and have to pay another $9.95 in a few months when I could just wait until the “new” touch ships with the then “free” upgraded OS?

Posted by TosaDeac on March 17, 2009 at 1:19 PM (PDT)

Frankly, as a 1st Gen iPod Touch user, I don’t see the logic behind a fee for a standard firmware update.  When my other electronic devices get a functionality update, it’s typically for free…i.e., camera, video camera, portable HD, etc.  What also kills me is that a $10 fee for the 1st Gen iPod Touch with no BluTooth is like merely paying for the privilege to continue BUYING apps in the App Store.  I’m going to pay you to pay you?  How does that make sense?

Posted by Herb August on March 17, 2009 at 1:35 PM (PDT)

I’m an iPhone 3G owner. I do agree with charging a fee for iPod Touch users for many reasons. Some of the main reasons is that what they are introducing today is for the IPHONE not their IPOD lines. This goes back to their last major update. For some reason, people think that they should get FREE PHONE updates when they don’t own one. While the iPod Touch is very similar to the iPhone, they are two different products. They would hurt their iPhone lines if they gave everything that it had to the iPod Touch; especially free updates. This Phone update is for that; a phone. It’s actually a luxury to have this on an iPod Touch.

If I was an owner of an iPod Touch and not an iPhone, I would probably want the update for free, but you have to be realistic about it. What they are doing is improvements for thier Phone, not their iPods. Two different products with similarites in software between them.

People stop crying about having to pay for the update; its not for an iPod, its for the Touch…

Although, the only thing I would side with an Ipod Touch user is the unlocking of the bluetooth; that should be free..

Posted by Ronald Melkonian on March 17, 2009 at 2:01 PM (PDT)

If someone would to explain the law that requires Apple to charge for this update that would be great.

Posted by John on March 17, 2009 at 2:17 PM (PDT)

well, you could pay $10, to upgrade to v3.0 but…
I refused to upgrade to v2.0 and pay when I got my 1st gen touch, after a few days of it being out and released, I found a torrent of a v2.0 restore of the update that ended up being legit.
BINGO, $0 to upgrade

Posted by Jon on March 17, 2009 at 2:49 PM (PDT)

The idea that there is some applicable law that requires  Apple to charge for software updates for the iPod touch is a grey and murky one, and there’s quite a bit of debate as to exactly how it applies and to what extent.  Two CPAs I’ve spoken to who deal with securities-related accounting are unclear to what extent it’s necessary but suggest that Apple is probably erring on the side of caution to prevent future SEC and/or shareholder actions that could be brought against them.

The best information I’ve been able to find that could apply to this situation is an article from the CPA Journal titled Revenue Recognition for Software Products with Multiple Deliverables

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on March 17, 2009 at 3:36 PM (PDT)

Apple can charge $10 for the upgrade but should offer a $10 credit/coupon on apps or music purchases with the iTunes store. This would make everyone happy and create more interest in Apple.

Posted by George Bazan on March 17, 2009 at 4:19 PM (PDT)

I don’t know why so many people are whining. I have a 2nd Generation touch and it’s perfectly logical to pay for an extensive upgrade. For stereo Bluetooth, I would gladly pay $10 for it. Since its an iPod and not an iPhone, I do not have to pay a monthly bill nor am I locked into a 2-year contract. Of course, I would like it to be free, but its not fair to iPhone users. Also, Apple isn’t making it mandatory to buy the update. If you want to stay where you are, that’s fine. So calm down and grow up.

Posted by croquembouche11 on March 17, 2009 at 5:28 PM (PDT)

Updates to operating systems should be free. I got free upgrades from Microsoft before switching to a Mac and mu updates to OS X have been free and I don’t pay a monthly fee like for a cell phone. It stinks!

Posted by Lapo on March 17, 2009 at 7:36 PM (PDT)

I am still reading up on this, but I have one major issue. To those saying stop whining, to us Touch users, I feel I do have a right to whine. I have had my ipod Touch for 3 weeks, and if I am understanding this correctly, in order to purchase any paid or free apps from this point on, I have to pay apple to have this luxury.

I do not feel this is being whiny, croquembouche11, if it is simply an iphone update as you are stating, then it should not include apps that the touch uses as well. That makes it an upgrade for BOTH. If I am getting this information wrong, or interpreting it incorrectly, please let me know.

I do feel slighted, and bitter, since I have literally had mine not even a month. I feel ripped off if this is going to involve apps I will want to buy. I should not pay someone for the luxury of buying from them, that is insane.

Posted by Heather on March 17, 2009 at 7:49 PM (PDT)

The Ipod Touch is a very amazing device, but it also costs as much as a low end laptop.  I owned a Zune and never paid for a software upgrade.  Don’t understand why Apple would have to charge when Microsoft has never charged for any upgrade for the Zune that I know of.
True Ipod Touch users don’t pay a monthly fee, but we also don’t have a cell phone, and many of the features that come with it, so why are do people compare the two like they are the same.
I have never been an apple fan, but have to admit that the ipod touch is the coolest piece of electronics I have ever owned.  But I do remember why I always hated Apple when they keep charging paying customers for an item they already bought, and other like products don’t.

Posted by XZuneUser on March 17, 2009 at 8:02 PM (PDT)

@16 Not sure why you would need to purchase the update to buy Apps from the App store.  I guess if you want to do in-App purchases that might be the case but it is not clear yet if that will be an AppStore issue or Touch issue.

What you would be paying for is to unlock the Bluetooth capabilities that you did not know you even had in our hand before today, get new features like cut/copy/paste, landscape keyboard, a new Spotlight-like search engine, and other features from the newly available APIs that are available to developers which are all things you did not purchase the ability to do when you bought your Touch 3 weeks ago.  Think of it this way…4 months after you bought your Touch you will get tons of new features for $10 instead of having to buy a WHOLE new Touch if they had told you that they were introducing a new Touch generation that could do all these things.

In my mind if you bought your Touch any time from TODAY until they ship the exact same physical Touch with 3.0 instead of 2.0, then you could have a beef with Apple about paying for the update!

Posted by TosaDeac on March 17, 2009 at 9:37 PM (PDT)

I found it.  It’s part of the Sarbanes Oxley law.  Basically the law prevents Apple from changing functionality of a product that they’ve already declared revenue from.  So, to get around this, they need to charge a fee for a new product (the 3.0 software).

Posted by Don Roeber on March 18, 2009 at 6:29 AM (PDT)

Yes, Sarbanes Oxley is the excuse that’s often used, but, seriously, there is no excuse needed.  I have a 1st Gen. Touch, and I already paid for the first upgrade and will most likely pay for the 2nd upgrade. Sure, everyone wants free upgrades, but to say “everyone else upgrades their stuff for free.” is simply inaccurate. Almost every piece of software I have has two kinds of upgrades: minor or service upgrades that are usually offered for free and major upgrades that add significant enhancements and new features and usually are offered for an upgrade fee.  My Touch is currently running 2.2.1.  There was a fee for 2.0, but every upgrade since has been free. I don’t know that the upgrade is free for iPhone users, either, as they pay monthly for their device.  Personally, the reason I have an iPod Touch instead of an iPhone is that $40 more per month on my cell phone is a lot less affordable then a one-time $10 upgrade fee. Sure, I wish it was free, but I got what I paid for. To think that Apple owes me something more just because they’ve improved their product is silly. But as long as we’re being silly, the iMac G5 I paid so handsomely for is now somewhat out of date, so perhaps Apple owes me a new one of those, too.

Posted by Rob E. on March 18, 2009 at 7:14 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 7 pages  1 2 3 >  Last »