Apple sets $10 price for iPod touch 3.0 software, free for iPhones | iLounge News

Apple sets $10 price for iPod touch 3.0 software, free for iPhones

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, March 17, 2009
News Categories: iPhone, iPod

In keeping with past releases of the iPhone OS software for the iPhone and iPod touch, Apple today announced that the iPhone and iPhone 3G versions of iPhone OS 3.0 will be free for current iPhone users, and that the iPod touch version will be available for $10. Slides at the event, interestingly, depicted the iPhone as receiving a new Voice Memos application previously announced in the presentation, while the iPod touch was shown without the application; it is unclear whether Apple will attempt to charge iPod touch users separately for the voice recording functionality. iPod nano and iPod classic users have a free integrated application for this purpose.

« iPhone OS stats: 30M devices, 25k apps, 800m downloads, 96% approved

Apple intros In-App Purchase micro-transaction service »

Comments

I have 2nd generation ipod touch 2.1 if I upgrade to firmware 3.0 so do I nedd to jailbreak my ipod touch in order I can install 3rd party application into my touch? Everyone please advise. your time and effort will be highly appreciated. Hung

Posted by Hung on July 31, 2009 at 2:47 PM (PDT)

I just bought an iPod Touch today August 15th 2009 and still ships with OS Version 2.2.1. I connected to iTunes and found out I have to pay to upgrade its OS to 3.0. APPLE SOLD ME A STALE IPOD TOUCH! THIS IS A SCAM! Are they planning to never introduce v.3 on the new iPod Touch so they can keep collecting the $10 from new buyers who are paying more for an iPod than what they would pay to buy a netbook? WTF! I had other problems with other Apple policies and marketing decisions recently and swallowed it, but enough is enough!

I agree that the iPod is one of the best pieces of electronics around, however that will not entitle Apple to SCAM their users!

Apple keeps selling units with the old OS even now that the F*&^% v3.0 is almost 6 months old!

I will go through the hassle of going back to the SCAMMING store and ask that they give me an iPod with v.3.0 already on it or I’ll return this F$#@%ing marvel of modern engineering just out of principle because this is just fu&%$#@ing ridiculous!

While a long time user of an iPod Touch with OS v2.x can see v.3.0 as a welcome upgrade and will be happy to shell out 10 bucks for it to gain more features, a BRAND NEW USER who gets conned in such way will not look at “get OS v3.0 for an extra 10 bucks” in the same way!

Look it’s really not for the 10 Bucks here. I already spent 435 bucks on this thing to get it as a gift for my mother, therefore 445 would have made no difference if the GENIUS cashier would have let me know that to get the latest OS on this thing I needed to pay an extra $10 via iTunes. The fact that such units do not ship already updated to v3.0 after 6 months 3.0 was released it’s appalling!

I am not an anti-Apple guy, so if anyone is thinking “there goes the rant of another windoze user”, I would advise them to “think different”! I own 2 Mac Pro with 30” screen each, an AppleTV (which was unusable until patchsticked), a MacBook pro, a 30GB iPod video, and 4GB Nano… plus I had several different macs through the years from the classic, Quadra, G3/G4 to the current Mactels… I even have a 7600 running 9.1 off a Jaz drive, still laying around. So I rest my anti-windoze case your honor. What I hate is to see Apple becoming greedier than M$!

If you happen to be one of the users who are happy to be sod0mized by these kind of unfair policies and think that it’s fair to be charged for such upgrades (which Apple can do as it dominates the market of portable players) I have a suggestion… why pay just $10? Show your support and send Apple your paycheck… Maybe you may think that’s a little too much? Well don’t worry that’s just your paycheck, what do you need it for since they already got your brain?

Posted by freakqnc on August 16, 2009 at 12:00 AM (PDT)

I usually by my software media etc. but on this paid 3.0 update I really could not give in… therefore the iPod Touch has been hacked and jailbroken. “Vive la résistance!” and F&^%$ those greedy ba5tards at Apple who decided to make 3.0 a paid upgrade!
Now let’s see if Google Voice will ever get on iTunes Store or if the lobbying of AT&T will prevail over ed users rights as usual!

Posted by freakqnc on August 16, 2009 at 3:02 AM (PDT)

Apple Tech posted that iPhone users don’t have to pay because they have a contract. the iPhone contract is with AT&T not Apple. So I don’t get how you can associate the two. On the other side - back in the 90’s we had to pay for major updates for MS-DOS Operating System. 3.0 is an OS for the touch and iphone so I can see why Apple is doing this - they are copying MS business practices from the 90’s. I was toying with the idea of buying a Mac - not a chance now. I bought my Gen 2 2 months ago (after ver 2 was outdated) and now I have to pay to upgrade - thats crap

Posted by Jeff Smith on August 18, 2009 at 3:55 PM (PDT)

I agree with post 122.

We bought a new iPod touch 2g today and also had to pay the 10 dollar 3.0 OS upgrade.  What an unbelieveable scam Apple is pulling here on innocent consumers.

Posted by barnyard on September 5, 2009 at 10:49 PM (PDT)

Apple seems to have gotten very greedy.I am so pissed about having to fork out $10.00 for this update and now it appears to be free on itunes.

Posted by William Rosenlof on September 11, 2009 at 1:19 PM (PDT)

I just went to Apple support chat and told them that I was pissed about paying ten bucks for the latest update that is now free on itunes and they refunded my money with a credit on my account.FOR ANYONE WHO PAID $10.00 FOR THE UPDATE-DEMAND YOUR MONEY BACK.TODAY IS 9/11/2009

Posted by William Rosenlof on September 11, 2009 at 2:04 PM (PDT)

Down to $4.99

Posted by Jacob on September 30, 2009 at 8:06 PM (PDT)

I purchased my Ipod Touch 2nd generation on Jan 15, 2010. When I tried to install a few apps, I received a shock that my software was outdated (2.1) and I have to pay another 4.95$ to get an upgrade to 3.0.

Absolutely ridiculous !! The software upgrade was released almost a year back and still Apple is making me pay for an upgrade….. can’t believe it. How can we fight against this ?

Posted by ipodtouchuser1 on January 28, 2010 at 8:06 PM (PDT)

Everyone keeps saying that the Touch users should have to pay because we don’t have to pay for anything once we’ve bought the product, but for iPhone users, the entirety of any subsequent payment is received by their telco carrier; Apple receives NONE of it. So why is it that although (from Apple’s perspective) they are indistinguishable products post-sale are they charging the users of one and not the other?

Also, one of the heralded attributes to the update for Touch users is the unlocking of Bluetooth. What about us with 1st Gen Touch? Apple have got it wrong.

Posted by Macca on February 3, 2010 at 6:56 PM (PDT)

I just bought the newest update for Ipod touch, V3.1.2 I had to pay about $5 for it.  I personally would not have paid $10 for it apple was crazy.  The only reason I paid for this one was I could not download my organization type apps.  I have not had a problem with most games, but all the productivity apps would not allow me to download.  I am just hearing about all this happening with the new software upgrade.  I do not know what all it includes, but I have noticed a new voice memos app on my touch.  Personally I think this is crazy since the only way I might be able to even use it is to purchase new headphones with a microphone if that even works.

Posted by Cileece on February 21, 2010 at 9:52 PM (PDT)

i have a question can i install 3.0 software on ipod touch 1st generation because i want to get bluetooth and voicememos

Posted by franky on March 9, 2010 at 6:57 PM (PDT)

I am an iPod Touch user—this update has been out for a while and at first it didn’t affect me; the apps were still able to be downloaded to the version 2 software. Now, however, I have not been able to buy any apps for over a month because all of them are only compatible with 3.0. I understand the viewpoints of some iPhone users that they pay monthly fees and blah blah so they should have the free privilege—however I paid $400 for this iTouch (and own two smaller ones in my household) and now I am stuck with leftovers. If Apple wanted to make this fair, they should have offered a basic software upgrade for iPod users that didn’t include Bluetooth or any of the other frills—just enough of an upgrade for us to continue PAYING them for their apps. Then they could have offered the iPhone upgrade for iPods for the $10 and all would have been fair. I am disappointed in Apple and am not so sure I will be investing in their products again.

Posted by C. W. on March 26, 2010 at 7:58 PM (PDT)

Re: Geezus’ comment, in fact your ipod touch will NOT be as good as the day you got it. All the apps available at the “App Store” now require the firmware upgrade. Basically you now have an oversized mp3 player that won’t be able to use any of the neat new apps being developed. Apple sucks, get used to it and stop buying their products!

Posted by bill on April 19, 2010 at 1:27 AM (PDT)

Everyone is using that law thing as an excuse for apple charging for updates. Why don’t they just charge $1 instead of 10 or 5.

Posted by Johnny on May 5, 2010 at 7:47 PM (PDT)

I have a question do you have to pay a monthly fee when you get an I-pod touch? I really want one but if it has to have a monthly fee then….forget it! Please let me know. Thanks.

Posted by question on May 12, 2010 at 1:17 PM (PDT)

Question: Can you still purchase an ipod Touch for $10, and still get the iphone for free? Is it possible.

Posted by SHANTEL BROOKES on May 19, 2010 at 10:03 AM (PDT)

I still don’t know how to do this ... My iPod says there is no update avalible but it’s only on 1.2.0

Posted by Miki321 on October 2, 2010 at 3:12 PM (PDT)

i love music

Posted by Cynthia May on December 17, 2011 at 9:49 PM (PDT)

Page 7 of 7 pages « First  <  5 6 7