Apple sets $10 price for iPod touch 3.0 software, free for iPhones | iLounge News

Apple sets $10 price for iPod touch 3.0 software, free for iPhones

In keeping with past releases of the iPhone OS software for the iPhone and iPod touch, Apple today announced that the iPhone and iPhone 3G versions of iPhone OS 3.0 will be free for current iPhone users, and that the iPod touch version will be available for $10. Slides at the event, interestingly, depicted the iPhone as receiving a new Voice Memos application previously announced in the presentation, while the iPod touch was shown without the application; it is unclear whether Apple will attempt to charge iPod touch users separately for the voice recording functionality. iPod nano and iPod classic users have a free integrated application for this purpose.

« iPhone OS stats: 30M devices, 25k apps, 800m downloads, 96% approved

Apple intros In-App Purchase micro-transaction service »

Comments

I just have a question regarding the iPod Touch. I’m thinking of buying one next week and just wanted to know…do I have to pay for every single firmware update that Apple releases for the touch? or just for the major releases such as 3.0?

Posted by Sonny on April 6, 2009 at 6:39 PM (CDT)

To Daniel, no, first gen still cant play music out loud because the hardware speaker isnt in there in the first place. Software updates like this 3.0 only provides more functions using the hardware thats already in the touch.

To the guy above me, You dont have to pay for every update because the touch you buy now is a second gen and already has 2.0 plus. Touch with 3.0 wont be sold until some time after the 3.0 update comes in the summer.

Posted by David on April 7, 2009 at 9:57 PM (CDT)

Sarbanes Oxley law.  First, they don’t create laws.  They over see companies that want to become a publically held company.  There certainly is a way to work around that.  If that were the case, tell me why all companies that are publically held aren’t charging for firmware updates?  They seem to do it for a profit when profits are hard to come by.  They are looking for a quick way to build a small capital or encourage people to upgrade to a new systems all together.  They certainly shouldn’t claim a 3.0 firmware update unless it is a major update with clear functionality differences.  They should make it a 2.3.  In order to move to a 3.0 it would be nice to see more freedom with the devise.  Like not being so iTunes dependant.  Just a thought…

Posted by Randy D on April 7, 2009 at 11:53 PM (CDT)

Thats BS that they charge 10 bucks for the itouch when iphone is free.  And the update only includes things that shoulda been there in the first place.  Total rip off

uber gay apple

Posted by Josh on April 10, 2009 at 12:51 PM (CDT)

can someone tell me what you get when you update the IPOD TOUCH to get 3.0 is it really different what are the nea things (i have an ipod touch so i have to pay $10) btw i have headphones with the mic

Posted by snow8745 on April 10, 2009 at 7:58 PM (CDT)

iPod touch update for $10?!?! and iPhone is free.
JUST ONE MORE REASON TO KEEP JAILBREAKING.
THANKS APPLE!

jailbreak = free 3.0 & all the free (cough) apps and games you could ever want.

Posted by Just think on April 21, 2009 at 9:36 PM (CDT)

omg people that are fussing about the $9.95 update

just wait about a week for someone to upload to a host site and you can download it off them

Posted by Jordan on May 3, 2009 at 4:06 PM (CDT)

I would agree with paying the 10.00 for the touch if I had the availability to purchase the iphone in the first place.  But with AT&T;having exclusivity on that product I do not have the availability unless I want to break the contract I now have.  Not to mention, I should not have to switch cell phone carriers just to have the privilage of owning an Iphone.  Therefore, I cannot justify spending the 10.00.  I think it’s unfair to charge us money for the OS touch upgrade when I cannot use the iphone unless I switch to ATT.  Open the iphone up to other carriers, and then maybe i’ll pay the upgrade for the ipod touch.

Posted by Me on May 10, 2009 at 10:43 AM (CDT)

someone please help!!

I’m going to buy a touch. Should I wait until 3.0 is released? Or should I buy it now and pay the 10 bucks later. I don’t mind paying 10. I spend that much when I go to McDonalds so that’s not a problem, if it means getting my touch sooner.

Or is there going to be new hardware features on the 3.0. I know that from 1st gen to 2nd they added speaker and volume buttons. Will they add new features like that or is it strictly just the softwware update? So if I buy it now and update it will i have the exact same thing as if I bought it after 3.0 came out?

If it’s just software it would be worth it for me to buy it now and update later so i dont have to wait.

Posted by tyler on May 12, 2009 at 1:06 AM (CDT)

ID wait for the new ipod because it might have a mic and it will definitely have a camera.

Posted by Sam G on May 14, 2009 at 2:10 AM (CDT)

Thanks apple u just gave ipod touch users yet another reason 2 jailbreak. 4 iphone users Bluetooth has been availible through cydia 4 a while. ToUch and iPhone users get cut and pass b4 the release of 3.0. After you jailbreak ur divice becomes yours with cuetomizable themes wallpapers and icons not to mention free app store apps!!  So everyone show apple they don’t control us just jailbreak

Posted by KM on May 17, 2009 at 11:23 PM (CDT)

I have an ipod touch and i live in germany.Does anyone know if the law counts for germany? I find its stupid to charge 10$ for it.But the software update is kinda cool.plz answer.

Posted by L. The happy ipod user on May 23, 2009 at 7:36 AM (CDT)

would anyone here pay for service packs for windows. no i don’t think so cause thats retarded, as is Rob E. Service packs for windows are free and they are major upgrade for many security issues and just added features which is exactly what 3.0 is. If you really don’t want to pay then either. 1. don’t, make apple realize there making a big mistake and wait for them to come to their senses. or 2. JAILBREAK, screw apple altogether.

Posted by zodiacv2 on May 23, 2009 at 10:57 AM (CDT)

i am an iPOD touch user and logically feel unhappy for being charged for the new upgrade.this leaves the impression as f apple has left taking care of its media player users and has fully entered in compitition with mobile phone companies.cz every one wants to remain uptodate and being depprived of this major update ll also have psychollogic effect of as using an old device,such a charge ll discourage apple fans of middle class,especially in asia, as they cant afford iphone.

Posted by roohullah on May 23, 2009 at 1:29 PM (CDT)

I think it is unfair. I am a iPod touch owner. I think we should get free software updates too. The iPod touch should be able to get the voice memo recorder. I have the 2nd gen iPod 8gb and I downloaded a voice memo application from the app store and I got the iPhone mic headphones and I can record fine. Plus I can talk on it ipod touch using the fring app. Only different from the iPhone and iPod touch is the phone which mean the iPod touch does not send out radi signals.

Posted by Meechie Green on June 1, 2009 at 3:36 AM (CDT)

we ipod touch users have to pay because iphone users pay more then $60.00 per month.

Posted by sean on June 7, 2009 at 10:29 PM (CDT)

After reading the article posted above, I would actually argue that by charging Touch users, Apple is setting a market value for the OS upgrade which forces them to defer revenue recognition on their Iphone line because those users receive the upgrade for free.  It would be simpler if the upgrade had no market value, because they could then argue that deferred revenue could not be measured accurately enough to assign a value.

Besides, this is strictly an accounting issue.  Having to defer revenue recognition is hardly an adequate excuse for cramming upgrade fees down my throat. It has no effect on cash flow, taxation, etc.  It’s really a paper entry for financial statement purposes only, and not really a difficult one at that…

And finally, the idea that the OS is specifically for the Iphone and is a privilege for Touch users is simply retarded…the OS works perfectly on the Touch, so the Touch was clearly designed to run the OS.

Posted by Jason on June 8, 2009 at 7:37 PM (CDT)

@NFreak007

It’s very clear and common sense why Apple is charging for the Touch update - because Apple is the devil.  Apple has always been the king of nickle and dime.  I’m shocked that you are surprised by this.  I have a Touch and an iPhone and I love them but Apple is without a doubt one of the most greedy companies in the history of business.  The legions of Apple fanboys can’t wait for their chance to give Apple more of their hard earned money.  They act like it is some sort of badge of honor.  The more money you give apple the hipper you are - see how cool I am because I spent $2500 on a laptop.

I love my Touch and iPhone but these people who defend every move Apple makes and every single thing they do need to get a life.  I’m an intelligent tech user and I use the iPhone because it is the best phone out right now.  I have no allegiance to Apple.  If some unknown company comes out with a much better phone in 2 years I’ll buy that.  I use intelligence to guide my decisions not blind allegiance like every single person who owns an Apple laptop.  I actually know people who have bought an Apple laptop but have then struggled to pay rent because they “needed” the new iMac.  Mac users are ridiculous.

Posted by you on June 8, 2009 at 9:54 PM (CDT)

Holy crap guys..  If you don’t want or need the update,  don’t buy it.  Your iPod will be just as good as it was they day you bought it.  If you think it’s worth 10 bucks for added functionality.  Fork it over.    It’s no big deal!!

Posted by Geezus on June 9, 2009 at 10:03 PM (CDT)

Im happy they made an update for the itouch

Posted by erik on June 10, 2009 at 2:42 AM (CDT)

Page 3 of 7 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last ›