Apple ships over 2 million iPods | iLounge News

Apple ships over 2 million iPods

Apple today announced financial results for its fiscal 2004 fourth quarter ended September 25, 2004. Apple shipped 2,016,000 iPods during the quarter, representing a 500 percent increase in iPods over the year-ago quarter. Apples’ Q4 financial conference call with financial analysts and press also mentioned several iPod and iTunes related highlights. (Source MacMinute.com)

• Music based revenue grew 370%
  • 2,016,000 iPods shipped, up 500% ($537 million)
  • $98 million from iTunes Music Store and other iPod-related services/gear
  • HP-branded iPod accounted for 6% of all iPods sold
  • More European stores coming this month

« RetroPod shut down by Sony

Solio solar powered backup battery for iPod announced »

Comments

Good job apple (gives pat on back)

yay, i’m first!

Posted by Yay, I'm First on October 13, 2004 at 3:00 PM (CDT)

So that’s like 5 million in total that Apple has shipped?

Posted by Michael on October 13, 2004 at 3:39 PM (CDT)

woohoo! I bought one this quarter. I think Im 2,010,025!

Posted by greedy on October 13, 2004 at 4:17 PM (CDT)

ROCK ON APPLE!!!!!!! I love the ipod :-D

Posted by MATRIXsjd in Burbank, Ca on October 13, 2004 at 4:27 PM (CDT)

Posted by M Bargo in Chicago, IL on October 13, 2004 at 4:29 PM (CDT)

‘This is one of those times where i would like to shake jobs’ hand and congradulate him. Although I would shake his hand anyway. Apple has the mp3 player market by the neck, and if they keep the updates going, they will make the mp3 player market conpletely their’s eventually.’

That’s not necessarily a good thing.

Posted by dino in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada on October 13, 2004 at 5:10 PM (CDT)

Exactly right. No monopoly, no matter how benevolent you may think it might be, is not a good thing. And, unless you own Apple stock, why should you care if they “dominate” the marketplace?

Lack of competition will lead only to perpetually and artificially high prices and a lack of innovation…yes, even from Apple.

I really like my 4G 40gb, but there’s still much room for improvement. If there is no challenge to Apple, then there will be no compelling reason for them to make significant improvements. Think about it; was there really SIGNIFICANT change between the 3G and 4G?

Posted by jinzo-ningen on October 13, 2004 at 5:58 PM (CDT)

My apple stock went up almost 3 bucks a share since yesterday =]  Very pleased.

Posted by Mouse on October 13, 2004 at 6:07 PM (CDT)

When is Apple going to offer (heaven forbid) a sale on iPods?!

Seriously though, selling iPods for $25 cheaper during the holiday season, say November 10th to December 30th, would be a smart move for Apple & would make iPods the hotest christmas item.

Posted by adrenaline on October 13, 2004 at 6:46 PM (CDT)

My apple stock went up almost 3 bucks a share since yesterday

You realise that if you went back to, say, 1990 and invested a cool $10,000 in different big tech stocks the kind of return you’d get if you sold your holdings today:

Apple - $30K
IBM - $100K
HP - $120K
Microsoft - $445K
Dell - $7 million

So you see, in terms of shareholder returns owning Apple for the long term has been and probably will continue to be an unmitigated disaster. You’d have earned as much money in Muni bonds as you would have if you’d “invested” in Apple.

My advice is to sell high and get out of Apple!

Posted by performance on October 13, 2004 at 7:25 PM (CDT)

Over this year and over the last 5 or 6 years the return from Apple stock has outpaced those stocks (in some cases far outpaced them). So it all depends on where you set your time stops. Basically Apple is a totally different company than the company of 10 years ago. It’s Steve’s Apple now and the inside and outside have been so changed by his presence as CEO, that they are not even comparable as the same company anymore.

Posted by lawrence on October 13, 2004 at 9:08 PM (CDT)

Thanks for the time-travel tips, performance. I’ll tell my past-self to get on that. I’ve more than doubled my money on apple stock in a few years. So I’m not complaining.  But you’re the expert so I’ll defer to you in the future. Got any hot tips for me?

Posted by Mouse on October 13, 2004 at 10:36 PM (CDT)

Hot stock tip: remember Napster and how HUGE they were in the early days of mp3s? Napster is now owned by Roxio and they have recently sold their stakes in software to concentrate fully on Napster. At $4 a share they are an easy takeover target. Imagine what a huge deal it would be if Apple were to buy Napster? It would shut down the competition permanently. Personally, I think it’s a pain in the #$$ that some artists have exclusive deals with Napster because I can’t buy those songs on iTunes.

Posted by moonwaver on October 13, 2004 at 11:15 PM (CDT)

“It’s Steve’s Apple now and the inside and outside have been so changed by his presence as CEO, that they are not even comparable as the same company anymore.”

Yes, under Jobs Apple has drastically cut back its R&D spend, has cancelled Mac licensing and seen its share of the PC market shrink by nearly 50%, its revenues are down 30% on 5 years ago, and it now more dependent than ever on outside companies for technologies (such as the iPod and the Mac’s graphics and hard disks).

All in all a resounding success for the Jobster.

Posted by changes on October 14, 2004 at 5:10 AM (CDT)

Posted by time travel on October 14, 2004 at 5:11 AM (CDT)

“I wish I’d bought Dell back in 1990. Then I could probably buy all of Apple now and fire Jobs.”

Dream on, idiot.

Posted by The Raven in USA on October 14, 2004 at 6:23 AM (CDT)

> “When is Apple going to offer (heaven forbid) a sale on iPods?!”

Why?  There is more than enough demand, and revenue is through the roof!  There is absolutely no reason for them to reduce the price.

Unless you’re just saying that because you cannot afford one.  That’s your problem, not Apple’s.

Posted by m.sherman on October 14, 2004 at 8:46 AM (CDT)

“Dream on, idiot.”

You may say I’m a dreamer,
but I’m not the only one,
I hope some day you’ll join us,
And the world will live as one.

Dell:
Market Cap: 88.13B
P/E (ttm): 31.07
EPS (ttm): 1.136

Apple:
Market Cap: 17.05B
P/E (ttm): 61.99
EPS (ttm): 0.709

Apple’s P/E is at an unsustainable 62 (!). By comparison Dell is undervalued. On similar metrics, Dell should be around 10 times the size of Apple. Not bad going for a company that started a decade after Apple, and was significantly under-capitalized for the first few years of its existence.

Posted by money money money money money on October 14, 2004 at 8:46 AM (CDT)

Hey money,

Theres a brown spot on ur nose.

Posted by huh on October 14, 2004 at 9:41 AM (CDT)

dell sells more, apple is more expensive. yadda yadda yadda i smashed my emac this weekend and it felt good… it was broken and i was tired of apples support. i now use my dell desktop system

*easy as dell!*

Posted by scratchpod on October 14, 2004 at 2:13 PM (CDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >