Apple shows EarPods earphones, Lightning cable, adapters | iLounge News

Apple shows EarPods earphones, Lightning cable, adapters

Confirming previous leaks, Apple today officially unveiled the names of its new earphones and miniature Dock Connector replacements. EarPods is the name chosen by Apple for its earphones, which will be bundled with the seventh-generation iPod nano and fifth-generation iPod touch starting in October, as well as sold separately. Like earlier Apple earphones, the EarPods will include a three-button remote control and microphone unit; new to the design are waveguides to channel the speakers’ output into users’ ears. They’ll sell for $29.

image

Apple also announced the Lightning moniker for its new Dock Connector, which will appear on the bottoms of new iPods, iPhones, and iPads going forward. A $19 Lightning to USB Cable will be included with each compatible device, while two Lightning to 30-pin Adapters will be sold. The first is a hard plastic adapter, sold for $29, while the second is 0.2m long and sells for $39, starting in October.

For European users, a Lightning to Micro USB Adapter is now showing up in Apple’s online store with a lead time of three days. Selling for £15—about $24—it allows Apple to comply with EU regulations.

image

Of brief note: Apple has also renamed the prior USB Power Adapter to 5W USB Power Adapter, further differentiating it from the Apple iPad 10W USB Power Adapter, and listing it as compatible with all recent iPods and all iPhones, including today’s newly-introduced models. Notably, however, the 5W USB Power Adapter does not include Apple’s new Lightning to USB Cable or any cable, and now sells for $19 on its own.

« iTunes 10.7 becoming available via download

Apple debuts fifth-generation iPod touch at $299/$399 »

Comments

The lightning adapters are marked as “Video and iPod Out not supported”.  What exactly does this mean?

Posted by Ethan on September 12, 2012 at 3:31 PM (CDT)

@1: Apple has engaged in media corporation bootkissing shenanigans for years. There are “rights” enforcing chips onboard the devices and in their approved video out cables. This allows the “rights” holders for media to decide if you can put it on your TV straight from your device or not. Based on the wording, the new adapter, chiefly allowing you to hook your device to a USB slot, does not come with those authenticator chips because of fears of consumers finding “loopholes” to watch video they paid for how they want, the horror.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on September 12, 2012 at 3:57 PM (CDT)

I just realized that the adapter costs more than just buying a new cable for purposes of our computers and wall chargers. Further, no wonder they refused to let specs out since everybody and their brother will need to buy at least one of these overpriced $0.30 dongles for whatever their car solution is.

I can’t believe I’m likely going to get stuck paying $30 to Apple so I can use my $15 car charger, ugg.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on September 12, 2012 at 4:34 PM (CDT)

@3: Probably water under the bridge for you, but a little USB module that plugs into your 12V cigarette port lets you connect any type of USB cable you need for charging purposes—USB mini, micro, or Apple’s flavor of the decade.

Posted by rockmyplimsoul on September 12, 2012 at 7:14 PM (CDT)

@4: But then I need to buy one of those ;)

I used to have just a USB based car charger but someone stole it out of my car. I bought a nice “spring coil” cord charger that stays out of the way, but the cord is integrated with the charger unit.

No matter what, somebody is getting more of my money because Apple don’t play nice with others.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on September 12, 2012 at 7:43 PM (CDT)

The price for this adapter is truly outrageous.  It makes me rethink my commitment to the platform.

Posted by bluespark on September 12, 2012 at 10:55 PM (CDT)

@6: Apple pulled a similar stunt back in 2008 when they dropped charging via the firewire pin in the dock connector, a move that saved them abut $0.05/unit, but passed costs exceeding Apple’s saving by hundreds of times (or more) that onto a large percentage of consumers.

Didn’t see their market share drop from that, did you?

It’s a massively phallic move to make an adapter that probably costs them about as much as a bag of skittles and will be outright necessary for consumers during the next few months cost more than a couple of dollars. Any company that was worried about repercussions would have just eaten the cost to include the adapter with every device from this model year. Of course, that’s not Apple, and as much as this goes on my long list of reasons why Apple isn’t the amazingly great corporation many think it is, it’s also not enough to jump ship to Android and say goodbye to a media management scheme that goes back to 2003.

It’s a change that will make Apple millions, if not billions, just this year alone, and intensifies the pressure to keep accessories skewed toward Apple. It won’t affect new customers in any way, and pre-existing customers know they’ll grumble and complain, but only someone on the edge of dumping Apple is going to switch platforms over *this* transgression.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on September 12, 2012 at 11:53 PM (CDT)

@7 - my bags are packed and I’m about ready to jump SS Rotten Apple…

Posted by Bob on September 13, 2012 at 6:16 AM (CDT)

@8: Ah, but “about ready” isn’t actually doing it :)

Trust me, as I see them move farther and farther away from what won me over in the first place (the ability to have insane amounts of control over large media libraries) to these derp derp derp “just browse through a giant, unorganized list on our cloud servers you brain dead fool” approaches, I am a lot less committed to the platform than I was pre-iOS 3.1. And as I watch more and more of the app developers go cross platform with their top tier products, I am more confident that Apple is making some detrimental choices for the long term thriving of the platform. However, I am also objective and realize that yet another “Apple tax” of ~$100 for new adapters, cables, etc.. is nothing compared to how annoyed I would be trying to manage all my media without the control measures iTunes affords me.

So long as there is no *management* alternative to iTunes, Apple does have me by the short and curlies.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on September 13, 2012 at 9:33 AM (CDT)