Apple signs movie rental, DVD deal with Fox | iLounge News

Apple signs movie rental, DVD deal with Fox

Apple has signed a deal with 20th Century Fox to offer digital rentals of the studio’s films, and to include a FairPlay DRM’d, iPod-compatible digital file on the studio’s new DVD releases, according to a Financial Times report. Citing a person familiar with the situation, the report says only that the rented movies would be active “for a limited time,” and that they would be made available through iTunes. The launch of iPod-ready films on DVD would signal the first appearance of Apple’s FairPlay DRM outside of its own products, and could “help Apple sell a load more video iPods,” according to one studio exec. “Fox and potentially other studios are coming around to the idea that there is nobody out there to challenge iTunes,” said Jonathan Weitz, a principal with IBB Consulting. “This deal is a sign that media mobility is coming to the mainstream.” In addition, the report also states that Apple has been in talks with Sony Pictures, Paramount, and Warner Bros. about making their new releases available on iTunes to buy and rent, and about adding FairPlay-laden copies of their films to new DVD releases.

« Amazon MP3 adds Warner Music Group Catalog

Findley Designs updates iPod Access Photo v1.3, adds iPhone support »

Comments

A portable version of their movies is a great idea, but I no longer buy DVDs, only Blu-ray Discs.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on December 27, 2007 at 9:07 AM (CST)

the market is still DVDs, galley.  we’re still a good 1-2 years away from mass adoption of blu-ray or hd-dvd.

Posted by schiano on December 27, 2007 at 1:04 PM (CST)

There was a rumor last year that Apple was lobbying to get a iPod-compatible movie file on Blu-Ray/HD-DVD as well.

The AACS DRM used by both formats would allow for “managed copy” which was Microsoft’s scheme for ripping those discs.

But Jobs supposedly wanted to put an iPod-compatible file on there.

Posted by wco81 on December 27, 2007 at 3:59 PM (CST)

well then, Galley, i guess you won’t be buying any

Posted by Bradley on December 27, 2007 at 5:01 PM (CST)

Yeah, because I don’t have a BD drive in my MacBook.  D’oh!

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on December 27, 2007 at 11:17 PM (CST)

Yay! Rentals! I really don’t buy movies much. I prefer just to rent. I’m just happy seeing a movie once, unless it’s worth seeing again. So, I will be a user of the iTunes rentals.

Posted by Pamela on December 28, 2007 at 10:25 PM (CST)

If it’s $4 per movie like other online outlets, then forget it.  If it’s a flatrate price per month, then OK.  Knowing how things have been done in the past, I’m guessing that they’ll charge $4 per movie or something along those lines.  At that price, I can just go down to Blockbuster or subscribe to their expensive service for $12/month.  Netflix is a little cheaper, but try getting a new release from them within a day or two of release (I’m still waiting for Blade Runner).  Also, Netflix has problems with delivery during holiday weekends (I’ve only received 1 film a week because when they receive the film on Friday of a holiday weekend, I don’t get the next one until Wednesday).  If iTunes can give me a flat rate of $12/month, I’ll sign up.  Otherwise if it’s like Amazon’s pricing scheme of $4 for one day, I’ll pass.

Posted by daelin in The Ugliest City in the US (I'm the exception ;) ) on December 30, 2007 at 10:23 AM (CST)