Apple simplifies iPod lineup, adds color screens to all full-size iPods | iLounge News

Apple simplifies iPod lineup, adds color screens to all full-size iPods

imageAs anticipated, Apple today announced that it is merging its iPod and iPod photo lines, dropping the “photo” naming and adding color screens to all full-size (white) iPod models.

The simplified lineup features a new 20GB color screen model for $299 (the same price as the older monochrome version), a 60GB model for $399 ($50 cheaper), and an updated iPod U2 Special Edition with a color screen for $329 ($20 cheaper). The company has apparently dropped the 30GB iPod photo model, which sold for $349.

Apple also said that starting today iPods will offer “an easy to use Podcast menu, including bookmarking within a Podcast and the ability to display Podcast artwork in color” to coincide with the release of iTunes 4.9.

Unsurprisingly, all of the new full-size iPod models support the photo and album artwork features of the previous iPod photo models, allowing users to view their photo libraries on the iPod’s screen or on a TV. Apple said the new 20GB iPod holds up to 20,000 photos, compared to the 60GB version which holds up to 25,000. Both can import photos from a digital camera with the optional iPod Camera Connector.

iLounge has noted Apple’s gradual shift away from using the word “photo

« iPod Updater 2005-06-26 released

Apple releases iTunes 4.9, featuring podcast downloads [updated] »

Comments

They put a color screen on the U2 iPod!

man, I wish I could trade in my iPod now :P.

Posted by edeab220 on June 28, 2005 at 8:49 AM (CDT)

D*mn it. I thought i had the newest,30gig photo ain’t the top of the line anymore.

Sigh….guess it woulda happened eventually.

Posted by hsk on June 28, 2005 at 8:53 AM (CDT)

hahahahahahahah!!! my freind bought a U2 iPod LAST WEEK! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Posted by mx on June 28, 2005 at 9:00 AM (CDT)

Does this mean that there won’t be a new generation of iPod model (at least regular iPod line) this summer?

Posted by cpwoo on June 28, 2005 at 9:00 AM (CDT)

they say the new ipod is “podcast ready”... now is that just a marketing statement, or are the other ipods not podcast ready?

Posted by littlecletus on June 28, 2005 at 9:01 AM (CDT)

I think im more bummed that there is no 2gen ipod shuffle…and with that new price drop…i don’t think there is much chance for them to announce it at the special thing later in the week either.

Posted by Colin on June 28, 2005 at 9:02 AM (CDT)

My only question:

is there gapless playback yet?

Posted by StinkieDMB on June 28, 2005 at 9:03 AM (CDT)

Same here. Give us gapless playback.

Posted by Wuddel on June 28, 2005 at 9:04 AM (CDT)

I knew this was coming.  Time to buy…again.

Posted by Gordy. in Atlanta, GA on June 28, 2005 at 9:07 AM (CDT)

Well, technically, while the 30GB iPod is no longer being made, it’s still got more capacity (and a higher price) than the 20GB model, so I’d consider it to still be higher up the food chain than the 20GB.

Posted by FeelTheFire on June 28, 2005 at 9:10 AM (CDT)

Are these the 5Gen ipods? Are there any new ones coming out later on in the year?

Posted by Mooo on June 28, 2005 at 9:16 AM (CDT)

well, looks like this is the “new” iPod…

*sigh* I was hoping for a user replacable battery. I guess I’ll get a Sony HD-5 instead, cracks and all. :(

Posted by jopari on June 28, 2005 at 9:27 AM (CDT)

So, is there any difference between this 60 GB iPod and the previous one, or is it just a price drop?

Posted by thenightfly42 on June 28, 2005 at 10:32 AM (CDT)

if these are the 5G’s I’m going to have to call “weak”.

This is a weaker “upgrade” than the 4Gs.

I’m going to sit back and wait for the dust to settle rather than throw my hands up, give up and buy a 60GB iPod.

weak.

Posted by Puck in washington dc on June 28, 2005 at 10:33 AM (CDT)

Booooooo to Apple for making the masses endlessly covet new versions of what they already bought.  I love Apple, but sh*t like this makes me really hate the sour fruit.  So what will Apple be doing with all those colorless screened 20 gigs I wonder?  Will there be a dumping site/landfill?  My 30 gig seems so extinct now.  Also I hate how this article reads “As anticipated” when over the past months I have read nothing of the sort on this site!  They kept saying “video ipod coming” but this is all that really happened.  What a load of junk!

Posted by tetherah on June 28, 2005 at 10:45 AM (CDT)

what about the iPod Minis ???
Does anyone know ???

Posted by mark b. on June 28, 2005 at 10:45 AM (CDT)

joparl, the battery is replaceable. And by the time you’ll need a new one it’ll be out of Apples ‘great’ warranty anyways.

Enjoy your sony, don’t let the door hit ya..

Posted by ash8080 in Florida, USA on June 28, 2005 at 10:57 AM (CDT)

I bet this is just a reorganization for a couple of new models to be announced at that July 7th Media Event.  I bet we’ll see a new 40GB iPod.  I think this because, they’ve given the 20GB a color screen, got rid of the 30GB, and dropped the price of the 60GB.  To sell a 40GB (that contains a single platter drive) for $349 would keep the $50 jump between models and it would be a 20GB jumps between the 3 regular iPods.  This however is just a guess.

Posted by mkoby on June 28, 2005 at 11:05 AM (CDT)

You can now get the 30GB in the deals section on Apple.com for the same price as the “new” 20GB. They didn’t even make it slimmer. Lame.

Posted by batboy on June 28, 2005 at 11:05 AM (CDT)

So, are the new 20GBs the 5th Gen that is supposedly supposed to come out this summer, or should a wait a while to buy?

Posted by yoda on June 28, 2005 at 11:08 AM (CDT)

Page 1 of 4 pages  1 2 3 >  Last ›