Apple simplifies iPod lineup, adds color screens to all full-size iPods | iLounge News

Apple simplifies iPod lineup, adds color screens to all full-size iPods

imageAs anticipated, Apple today announced that it is merging its iPod and iPod photo lines, dropping the “photo” naming and adding color screens to all full-size (white) iPod models.

The simplified lineup features a new 20GB color screen model for $299 (the same price as the older monochrome version), a 60GB model for $399 ($50 cheaper), and an updated iPod U2 Special Edition with a color screen for $329 ($20 cheaper). The company has apparently dropped the 30GB iPod photo model, which sold for $349.

Apple also said that starting today iPods will offer “an easy to use Podcast menu, including bookmarking within a Podcast and the ability to display Podcast artwork in color” to coincide with the release of iTunes 4.9.

Unsurprisingly, all of the new full-size iPod models support the photo and album artwork features of the previous iPod photo models, allowing users to view their photo libraries on the iPod’s screen or on a TV. Apple said the new 20GB iPod holds up to 20,000 photos, compared to the 60GB version which holds up to 25,000. Both can import photos from a digital camera with the optional iPod Camera Connector.

iLounge has noted Apple’s gradual shift away from using the word “photo

« iPod Updater 2005-06-26 released

Apple releases iTunes 4.9, featuring podcast downloads [updated] »

Comments

wow, i just got the 20 ipod B&W. I wont if i can return it to the place i got it at.  wow. Podcasting is the best its awsome and so east with itunes.

Posted by John on June 28, 2005 at 11:15 AM (CDT)

Great! Not one but TWO color-screen iPods in the thin 20 GB shape!

But still…  lowering the prices, adding album art and color screens, and auto-bookmarked podcasts (kept separate from music) are all great… but who wants all that newfangled stuff?! These iPods will never compete. The modern music listener demands FM radio! Advertisements, DJs, lower quality sound, lack of choice in headphones that work as antennas… these are the future! :)

Posted by Nagromme on June 28, 2005 at 11:23 AM (CDT)

Also… just to get this straight… in addition to those of us taking this good news in stride, we have two camps of complainers:

* I hate Apple for not changing the iPod more and faster.

* I hate Apple for changing the iPod too much and too fast.

That about it?

Posted by Nagromme on June 28, 2005 at 11:27 AM (CDT)

HEYEYEYE HEY you guys missed the suprise now we have a radio on our ipod and we don’t need one of those stupped fm/am tuners .... we are free to listen to radio anytime anywhere .... its like the as we know it radio is obsolete… no more tuning to a radio station with static .... OMY WORD

Posted by Jeremy Joyner on June 28, 2005 at 11:36 AM (CDT)

In the Apple store’s sale department, they have the following items :-

$269 iPod (20GB with Click Wheel)
$329 iPod (30GB with color display)

an extra $30 (on top of the $299 ipod colour 20gb) gets you an extra 10gb :) not a bad deal!

btw, the u2 ipod colour looks really neat!

Posted by me101 on June 28, 2005 at 11:39 AM (CDT)

Is the 30gb iPod Photo (which has been renamed on their site too, strangely enough) plus today’s firmware update identical to the 20gb iPod “with color”?

Since there is now only a $20 price difference after student discount, I don’t know if I should get the 20gb hoping that it has something better hidden inside or just get a 30gb and upgrade the firmware.

Posted by iota on June 28, 2005 at 11:46 AM (CDT)

I am very disappointed with this.  I was hoping the new ipod will have
1. Removable battery
2. S-Video to TV displaying the ipod menus and the song and not just the pictures
3. Gapless Playback

This really stinks.

Posted by Nick on June 28, 2005 at 11:50 AM (CDT)

I can’t believe that I *just* bought a 30GB two days ago!  I’m taking it back and upgrading to a 60.

Posted by Jesse on June 28, 2005 at 12:28 PM (CDT)

Why does the new 20GB hold on 5k less photos than the 60GB?  How is that possible?

Posted by Erin on June 28, 2005 at 12:30 PM (CDT)

WOW!!!!

Podcasting is here

Now everyone has the opportunity to listen to yesterday’s news,  TODAY!

IF SONY, CREATIVE OR IRIVER CAN’T BEAT THIS LAME 5 GEN IPOD THEY DON’T DESERVE A BIGGER MARKET SHARE!!!!!

Posted by Dazza on June 28, 2005 at 12:39 PM (CDT)

“I am very disappointed with this.  I was hoping the new ipod will have “

This isn’t “the new ipod” We’re still in Generation 4.

Posted by croooow in Fairfax, VA on June 28, 2005 at 12:46 PM (CDT)

Nagromme, you are right except Apple IS both changing too fast (didnt they just introduce the 30 gig in 1st quarter 2005? And now they are dropping it?), and too slow (still no video pod, gapless playback)

Posted by tetherah on June 28, 2005 at 12:48 PM (CDT)

OK, now I’m upset.  Within this past month I purchased the U2 version iPod which I was extremely happy with both the design and overall performance.  Now to see that Apple has decided to slash the price and include the color display really make me feel cheated.  I purchased the unit via Amazon.com who do not show the newer version available whatsoever.  I need to contact Apple to see if they would consider an exchange.

Posted by jrakai on June 28, 2005 at 1:04 PM (CDT)

Actually, I was looking for the inclusion of the CPU used in the latest mini’s. That is the piece of hardware that seriously boosted playing times. From what I can tell so far, the playing time on these models is the same as they used to be.

Gapless playback and a larger buffer are also what I’m looking for. I’d be happy to stick w/B&W in order to get gapless, larger buffer and more time between charges.

Posted by uptown_doof on June 28, 2005 at 1:04 PM (CDT)

These “adjustments” to the 4G shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone; color screens were bound to become the de facto standard as companies like iRiver have already adopted their use in all their HD units.

As for the 60GB’s price drops…either the biggest iPod STILL isn’t selling very well, or Apple is simply maneuvering their lineup for new units down the road; 80GB drive technology is supposedly available, for instance, and there’s still the persistent scuttlebutt over video playback.

This is all very yawner.  Give the world a REAL tuner, gapless playback, a simple user-changeable battery and a music selector that will let me loop around the bottom of the alphabet instead of stopping like my 3G and 4G does now and I’ll be back for another ride.  Oh, and I really, REALLY love a 120GB HD, too. (Hear that, Toshiba?  Hitachi? Anyone?)

Posted by flatline response on June 28, 2005 at 1:22 PM (CDT)

So it’ll be Gen 5 for XMAS at the earliest. Hopefully then with gapless and 80GB HD. Wait for next week and you’ll see why there is no Gen 5 iPod now.

Posted by Bad Beaver on June 28, 2005 at 1:24 PM (CDT)

Wooo! New(ish) Pods’!!!

Anyone else checked the UK site yet, they don’t have any of the new colour iPods up (inc. U2), or changed from iTunes 4.8 to 4.9!!! Strange!!

Posted by Liam on June 28, 2005 at 1:31 PM (CDT)

I’ve been waiting for a nice slim color 20GB iPod to come out. I really like the color screen and want to replace my 20GB B+W one but I didn’t want to buy the 30GB iPod photo as it was thicker. When I read this, I thought the time had come. But, this new 20GB color iPod is thicker than my current 20GB b+w iPod. Why did they have to make it thicker? I guess I’ll keep waiting. :(

Posted by Shadow on June 28, 2005 at 1:50 PM (CDT)

I think it isn’t hard to conclude that these aren’t your “5th generation” ipods; I think its more of a consolidation of what they ought to have released as 4th generation ipods in the first place.

I think it’s a bit silly to leave such a yawning gap between 20 gig and 60 gig; when I found myself running out of space on my 20, the 30 gig provided the perfect compromise between memory space and physical size. I just feel sorry for people who need something in between a 20 and a 60 now

Posted by Popjunkie in Singapore on June 28, 2005 at 2:43 PM (CDT)

If anyone planning here is planning on buying one of these things you can save a lot of money by buying it at a University. You get an academic discount. It worked for me!

Posted by banklocater.com on June 28, 2005 at 3:03 PM (CDT)

Page 2 of 4 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >