Apple simplifies iPod lineup, adds color screens to all full-size iPods | iLounge News

Apple simplifies iPod lineup, adds color screens to all full-size iPods

imageAs anticipated, Apple today announced that it is merging its iPod and iPod photo lines, dropping the “photo” naming and adding color screens to all full-size (white) iPod models.

The simplified lineup features a new 20GB color screen model for $299 (the same price as the older monochrome version), a 60GB model for $399 ($50 cheaper), and an updated iPod U2 Special Edition with a color screen for $329 ($20 cheaper). The company has apparently dropped the 30GB iPod photo model, which sold for $349.

Apple also said that starting today iPods will offer “an easy to use Podcast menu, including bookmarking within a Podcast and the ability to display Podcast artwork in color” to coincide with the release of iTunes 4.9.

Unsurprisingly, all of the new full-size iPod models support the photo and album artwork features of the previous iPod photo models, allowing users to view their photo libraries on the iPod’s screen or on a TV. Apple said the new 20GB iPod holds up to 20,000 photos, compared to the 60GB version which holds up to 25,000. Both can import photos from a digital camera with the optional iPod Camera Connector.

iLounge has noted Apple’s gradual shift away from using the word “photo

« iPod Updater 2005-06-26 released

Apple releases iTunes 4.9, featuring podcast downloads [updated] »

Comments

about that academic discount…if you order it from the education store online, do they somehow check to see if your are really enrolled?

Posted by steve on June 28, 2005 at 3:15 PM (CDT)

yeah this is definitely not the ‘awaited’ 5th generation revision of the ipod
apple has a way of shuttling in changes subtly and gradually (ie the ipod photo to ‘ipod with colour screen’ change) and i think that this is one of those changes, even though it isnt subtle at all i think its setting them up for something new to introduce.. that’s probably what the 20-60gb gap is all about
i think people just have to be patient and see what happens
but i do sympathise with those who bought the former revision of the 4th gen, because i remember how i felt when the 2ng gen minis came out and my 1gen didnt quite have the same sheen that it had before i found out
but really people, ipods are for music listening first and foremost, and youve survived this long with monochrome, so not having a colour screen isnt gonna kill you

Posted by nick on June 28, 2005 at 3:15 PM (CDT)

Grr! I just ordered a 30g iPod, it hasn’t arrived yet and already it’s out of date. I take it it will still be compatible with new equipment and software when they start coming out? Pity, as with the price drop I would have tried to stretch to a 60g. *grumbles annoyedly*

Posted by Sophia on June 28, 2005 at 3:37 PM (CDT)

What about those people who like the thicker ipods?  and hate the fact that apple had over 15 different ipods, but now only 2 real ipods are selling? (face it, those suffle peices of crap arent real ipods, and the minis arent any closer)  I also thought that the U2 ipod was “limited”, and now its been out longer then the 30Gb was.  I think that apple should keep making all the gens of ipods - they would make more $ that way, and there would be a great selection.

Posted by Cary Healy on June 28, 2005 at 4:06 PM (CDT)

Here is the question:

Besides memory and price, is the new 20gb different from the 30gb? in hardware or anything?

Because it seems like a great time to buy the 30gb, as you could get it for a good price and with an extra 10gbs of memory.  Or is there an internal difference that makes the new 20 the one to buy?

Posted by me on June 28, 2005 at 4:20 PM (CDT)

haha i thot the U2 ipod was “limited” too…i guess it isn’t

Posted by iamaclogger on June 28, 2005 at 5:01 PM (CDT)

Hah! I ordered my 30GB a week ago, and since it has not been built yet, I get a free upgrade to 60GB. That rocks!

Posted by Bzzzt on June 28, 2005 at 5:22 PM (CDT)

I really, REALLY love a 120GB HD, too. (Hear that, Toshiba?  Hitachi? Anyone?)

I have 100GB in the car’s Archos, but it uses 2.5” drives. There is a new 120GB 2.5” just out, but very expensive, and Seagate announced a 160GB 2.5”

However, the 1.8” drives used in the iPod max out at 60GB currently. Toshiba announced an 80GB version in “Q3 2005”...

My take on the new iPods… *still* no video?!?!?!?

Posted by Demosthenes on June 28, 2005 at 5:42 PM (CDT)

the U2 iPod was never marketed as a Limited edition. It’s named as a “Special Edition.”

Posted by cadster on June 28, 2005 at 5:56 PM (CDT)

I knew my patience would pay off!!!
New U2 iPod here I come!!!!!! I can’t wait!!! It must be selling ok for them to continue producing it eh? Anyway, WAHOOO!

Posted by Kelly on June 28, 2005 at 6:08 PM (CDT)

Yeah, i was gonna save and get a photo to replace my near-death 3g, but i wouldn’t rush out and get one of these untill the much hyped July 7th press conference thingy is over with. you never know, Apple might be just consolodating some of the older iPod lines to make way for the much anticipated 5g ipod!!! (that’s my bet, anyway!!!)

b.t.w. The UK Apple site now has all the new iTunes and iPod stuff on, but it took a while for the sites to catch up.

Posted by Liam on June 28, 2005 at 6:26 PM (CDT)

This is kinda like “iPod: Gen 4.2.” Very sad. Apple is begining its edge.

Posted by azn1stknightsoul on June 28, 2005 at 7:05 PM (CDT)

I spoke with a dealer at the Apple store about Apple’s behavior in announcing new products in timing with their many conferences.  He told me that Apple knows customers wait for their conferences before releasing crap, so July 7th or not, don’t hold your breath.  They’ll surprise you all like they did today.  My bet is with what many of u said—-that they’ll probably release that fabled 5th Gen before Xmas season…

This current move in the ipod line seems timed for kids needing tunes during Summer and returning to school (check out their new deal with giving away free ipods with the purchase of any macs—-the deal expires Sept. 24th. Coincidence?).

Posted by tetherah on June 28, 2005 at 7:15 PM (CDT)

I hope this “waiting until before Christmas” idea is wrong.  I have the money for an iPod now, and am impatient to get one.  But there is no way I can afford to get one now and then another one later.  So do I go for one now, knowing before too long, the next generation ones will be released?

I’m still hoping July 7 brings good news.

Posted by Lenonn on June 28, 2005 at 8:32 PM (CDT)

I don’t see what all the excitement is about.

The only new thing here (besides the price drop) is the addition of a colour screen to the 20 gig ipods. Functionality wise, the product works exactly the same as any other colour screened ipod (30, 40 or 60 gig).

So really, this announcement should not bother those who bought a 30 gig, which was good value in relation to the 20 gig to start with. I really don’t understand those who are moaning about their recently purchased 30 gig ipods being “obsolete”... maybe they ought to print yourselves t-shirts advertising that they INDEED have the VERY latest colour screened ipod, after going back to apple to exchange their rather unfortunately obsolete products.

Posted by Popjunkie in Singapore on June 28, 2005 at 8:35 PM (CDT)

Well, looks like my mini is gonna be out of my hands and be making a space for a new 20gb. I got the updater and it seems that it does make all of the iPods podcast ready.

Posted by surferstyle on June 28, 2005 at 8:58 PM (CDT)

Apple rocks! I ordered a 20g Ipod at the end of last week, it wasn’t built yet, so they upgraded me for free to the new 20g color model without me even having to do anything. They could have just shipped me the b+w one that I ordered. I will be ordering from apple again in the future.

Posted by Marty Quinn on June 28, 2005 at 9:29 PM (CDT)

Does this mean that my replacement 20G from the settlement will be a photo?

Sweet!

Posted by Hot Karl on June 28, 2005 at 9:55 PM (CDT)

I hope the new 20g fits into my 4g 20g case.  That would be really annoying if it doesn’t.

And for those in the settlement…I guess we know what iPods you’ll be getting (b&w leftover 20g!)

Posted by Morvran on June 28, 2005 at 10:05 PM (CDT)

The 30gb photo is still the way to go. The new 20 is the same weight and thickness as the 30gb only 10 less gb’s. Only true upgrade is the U2 edition, but I won’t support anything bearing Bono’s name. So dont fret recent 30gb owners.

Posted by nick on June 28, 2005 at 10:15 PM (CDT)

Page 3 of 4 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >