Apple simplifies iPod lineup, adds color screens to all full-size iPods | iLounge News

Apple simplifies iPod lineup, adds color screens to all full-size iPods

imageAs anticipated, Apple today announced that it is merging its iPod and iPod photo lines, dropping the “photo” naming and adding color screens to all full-size (white) iPod models.

The simplified lineup features a new 20GB color screen model for $299 (the same price as the older monochrome version), a 60GB model for $399 ($50 cheaper), and an updated iPod U2 Special Edition with a color screen for $329 ($20 cheaper). The company has apparently dropped the 30GB iPod photo model, which sold for $349.

Apple also said that starting today iPods will offer “an easy to use Podcast menu, including bookmarking within a Podcast and the ability to display Podcast artwork in color” to coincide with the release of iTunes 4.9.

Unsurprisingly, all of the new full-size iPod models support the photo and album artwork features of the previous iPod photo models, allowing users to view their photo libraries on the iPod’s screen or on a TV. Apple said the new 20GB iPod holds up to 20,000 photos, compared to the 60GB version which holds up to 25,000. Both can import photos from a digital camera with the optional iPod Camera Connector.

iLounge has noted Apple’s gradual shift away from using the word “photo

« iPod Updater 2005-06-26 released

Apple releases iTunes 4.9, featuring podcast downloads [updated] »

Comments

i bought my b&w 20gb not too long ago from a hard-earned money…knowing the fact that the first colored ipod was too expensive few months ago and I just couldn’t afford it. and now, here they are, cheaper. I felt like I was ripped off by Apple.

Posted by mav on June 28, 2005 at 11:00 PM (CDT)

what is with people saying they were “ripped off” by Apple? Geez people, then why did you buy it in the first place? That’s what technology is - always new products coming out. If you want to acount feeling “ripped off”, then never buy anything. Morons.

Posted by Jesse on June 28, 2005 at 11:41 PM (CDT)

i feel this switch was a great move on apple’s part. after reading all these comments i realized that almost all of you are going to trade in or upgrade. if they announced it earlier they would have only lost money becuase poeple would have held on to their wallets in wait. i agree w/ jesse in technology is always new products coming out. take the upgrade as a good thing and get some color! (am/fm radios in the 50’s were a small fortune and now are given out as advirtizements for banks and universities, just wait until you get a “PNC” iPod)

Posted by Ant da man V on June 29, 2005 at 12:05 AM (CDT)

I am very nervous to order one of these, I ahve been waiting forever for 5G, but I will not wait any longer. I guess I will wait until July 7 though to make sure they don’t announce something better.

Posted by Kooky on June 29, 2005 at 12:56 AM (CDT)

Ha ha I was just on apples site and they still have the Quick Time VR’s of the monocrome ipod.
Look in the right hand corner

Posted by EsPy on June 29, 2005 at 1:25 AM (CDT)

I have a 20GB b&w iPod. I neither feel the need to trade up nor any annoyance at having bought it early. It’s a music player guys. If you can’t listen to your music without a colour screen you’re not doing it right.

Posted by Why the fuss about colour? on June 29, 2005 at 1:42 AM (CDT)

Looks like its time to start organizing the next best-buy warranty thing… lol, 35bucks to upgrade to a brande new ipod each time is not that bad…. no questions asked they take my old one and give me a new one =) so sweet

Posted by iUser on June 29, 2005 at 1:58 AM (CDT)

Save your money and wait until X-mas.  I’m sure something else cool will come out then.

Posted by clint Curtis on June 29, 2005 at 4:55 AM (CDT)

Be sure the read the details to the “best-buy warranty thing”

I have one and they won’t just give you a new one, no questions asked.

Posted by croooow in Fairfax, VA on June 29, 2005 at 7:42 AM (CDT)

now my 4gen ipod is not cool any more? omg why the hell they keep changing the ipod family…gosh!!

Posted by jasuell on June 29, 2005 at 12:11 PM (CDT)

is it true that the new clor 20GB is thicker? as thick as the 30GB?

Posted by Ant da man V on June 29, 2005 at 1:54 PM (CDT)

Buy whatever you want at Best Buy, get the 2-year replacement warrenty, and trade your iPod for 5G when it comes out… The replacement plan is $40 I think, but well worth the no hassel exchange. I did it, and I will do it again ONLY because the stupid battery drain and… the lack of features compared to what we expect to see in 5G.

Posted by curtis on June 29, 2005 at 2:32 PM (CDT)

They asked to see my student ID for the discount. (I used an old one.)

Posted by Banklocater.com on June 29, 2005 at 11:17 PM (CDT)

Wait, does this mean that if I have a problem with my 3G iPod, Apple will replace it with a 4G color iPod?! *Takes out hammer*

Posted by Kevin on July 2, 2005 at 9:21 AM (CDT)

I went to the Apple store yesterday and even with the new 20 GB ipod CHOOSE a 30 GB.  I was able to use a discount for educators, and the 30 GB was only 30 dollars more than the 20 GB.  I paid $299 vs. $269 for the 20 GB.  I haven’t unwrapped it yet…and after reading these am a bit worried is there any difference between in software between the two?  They told me no in the store and in fact said the 30 GB would have a slightly longer battery life.  What to do?  Advice would be welcomed.

Posted by Melissa on July 3, 2005 at 4:27 PM (CDT)

what in the world is podcasting?????

Posted by €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ on July 3, 2005 at 9:22 PM (CDT)

HEYEYEYE HEY you guys missed the suprise now we have a radio on our ipod and we don’t need one of those stupped fm/am tuners .... we are free to listen to radio anytime anywhere .... its like the as we know it radio is obsolete… no more tuning to a radio station with static .... OMY WORD
By Jeremy Joyner on 06.28.05 at 07:36 AM

Did I miss something, is there a radio on the new Ipod ?

Posted by Viwake on July 4, 2005 at 7:56 AM (CDT)

LOL I am SO EXTREMELY glad that I waited and stuck it out for a few more months to get the all-new 20G color iPod with photo capabilities and podcasting on it…it totally su*ks for my friend who like, just bought one a few months ago. Boy am I lucky; one week earlier and I would have kicked myself!!

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

LOL but does anyone know what’s going on July 7th?

Posted by meghan on July 5, 2005 at 4:20 PM (CDT)

What’s the deal with Apple only giving discounts to people in education and schools?

What about the other 98% of the buying public?

I think a lawsuit is in order.

Posted by mike on November 27, 2005 at 9:23 PM (CST)

Page 4 of 4 pages ‹ First  < 2 3 4