Apple slashes prices on refurb iPods | iLounge News

Apple slashes prices on refurb iPods

image

Following last week’s new iPod introductions, Apple has added a slew of refurbished iPods to the online Apple Store and substantially cut previous refurb pricing. Apple is currently offering the original 2GB iPod nano (both white and black) for $99, the original 4GB iPod mini (gold, silver, blue, pink and green) for $99, and the second-generation 6GB iPod mini (silver, blue and pink) for $129. The company is also offering original fifth-generation iPods at a discount. The 30GB model is priced at $179 and the 60GB model is now $229. Apple Certified Refurbished products are pre-owned Apple products that “undergo Apple’s stringent refurbishment process prior to being offered for sale.” All Apple Certified Refurbished products are covered by Apple’s one-year warranty.

« iTunes Store sells 125,000 movies in first week

Buy $25 smartCharge, get $50 in iTunes songs »

Comments

Good move on Apple’s part, although I never buy refurbished (bad experiences in the past)

Posted by ejg930 on September 19, 2006 at 9:32 AM (PDT)

what’s up with the digg thing?

Posted by mike H on September 19, 2006 at 9:35 AM (PDT)

Yes, but are these actually “refurbished?”  Seems more likely that they’re just selling off the old inventory, so it could be never-used products in the mix.  Of course even if that’s the case, there’s probably no way to make certain you get a new version of last year’s model instead of a refurbished version.

Posted by Rob E. on September 19, 2006 at 9:39 AM (PDT)

That’s great!! I was actually wanting to buy a refurb nano for my wife, who keeps “borrowing” my 5G iPod, but I hadn’t gotten around to it. She mainly uses it to listen to audiobooks and music, so this could not be better timing!

Posted by Jason on September 19, 2006 at 9:59 AM (PDT)

Actually the gold one at $99 is the only first-gen mini you can get.  All the other ones at $99 are the second-gen minis with the excellent battery life.

This has been this way since Friday.  And they actually sliced the amounts of iPods that are available - you can’t get a refurb. 1GB or 4GB nano anymore, and you can’t get any fourth-gen iPods, either.  But with the 30GB dropping $20 to $179 (was $199) and the 60GB dropping down to $229 from $299, you can’t go wrong with any of these.

Posted by crunkmaster on September 19, 2006 at 10:01 AM (PDT)

*shrug*  can’t speak to ejg930’s experience, but my son bought a refurb 4G 20GB ipod a while back and it’s been fine.  With the exception of the box in which it came, it was indistinguishable from brand new.  I know someone who bought a refurb mini and it was DOA - but since Apple refurbs have same full Apple 1 year warranty as new units, he got it swapped out in for another unit in short order.

I agree you have to be careful with refurbs in general, some are not good deals.  But Apple’s refurbs seem to be good; especially given the 1 year warranty.

Posted by good grief on September 19, 2006 at 10:37 AM (PDT)

60gb iPod for $229 is a steal.

Posted by Apple shareholder on September 19, 2006 at 11:40 AM (PDT)

Great deal on the venerable iPod mini. Has anyone compared the sound quality of the new nano to a mini?

I listened to a 1st generation nano when they first came out and I thought it couldn’t compare to my 1st gen mini—the sound was much thinner. I’m tempted by the 2nd gen nanos, but I’d like to know if the sound has improved. If not, I’m going to go for a 2nd gen mini.

Posted by Paul1022 on September 19, 2006 at 12:36 PM (PDT)

no more monochrome refurbs!

sucks…

Posted by feh1325 on September 19, 2006 at 2:09 PM (PDT)

why no refurbs in the uk?

Posted by Rob Walford on September 19, 2006 at 2:46 PM (PDT)

They come and go (presumably depending on stock)—the uk store had refurbished iPods last week.

Posted by Frooge on September 19, 2006 at 4:48 PM (PDT)

do you think they will throw a 4g nano in the refurb store?

Posted by phil on September 19, 2006 at 11:54 PM (PDT)

oooo!  look at the little “digg this” icon.

smile  ilounge is bein’ all cool now.

Posted by OnlyShawn on September 20, 2006 at 5:15 AM (PDT)

can you buy them anywhere in europa ?

Posted by wer on September 20, 2006 at 10:30 AM (PDT)

Yes! I´m also very interested to hear where we Europeans can buy them….!

Posted by Hans on September 26, 2006 at 2:22 PM (PDT)

I ordered a refurb mini from the Apple Canada site last Friday, can’t believe it got to me from California today (Tuesday), especially since shipping was free.  Kudos to Apple, hooray for me for not being an early adopter!

Posted by Dave on October 3, 2006 at 10:30 AM (PDT)

Does Apple refurbish their own iPods, or do they have a contractor do it?  Do you know if they’re shipped back to China?

What do they do with all of the old inventory?  My housemate has an older 30 GB iPod, but I have the 60…Apple said that they would just replace his if it broke - do they have just leftover stock, or would it be with a refurbished one?  thanks

Posted by C. Mil on October 4, 2006 at 1:21 PM (PDT)

what happened to the 60 gig refurb? they took it off the website! i can’t survive on 30 and i certainly can’t afford the 80.  does anyone think they’ll be bringing it back soon?

Posted by Jeff on October 15, 2006 at 8:11 PM (PDT)