Apple sold out of 1GB iPod shuffle until January | iLounge News

Apple sold out of 1GB iPod shuffle until January

The 1GB iPod shuffle is out of stock at Apple’s online store and is not expected to be available again until next month. A brief note on the store reads: “Sold out for holiday. Expected availability mid-January.” Coincidentally, Macworld Expo in San Francisco, where Apple annually releases new products, runs January 9-13. The 512MB shuffle is still available for order and ships in 1-2 business days, according to Apple.

American Technology Research analyst Shaw Wu said last month that the shuffle is due for a refresh as early as January. “We are hearing of an even smaller form factor (smaller than a stick of gum) and the potential for the re-introduction of multiple colors, particularly popular among women, including black,” Wu wrote in the report obtained by iLounge. “We believe price points ($99 and $129) and storage capacities (512 MB and 1 GB) will be similar to the current offerings to minimize overlap with the iPod nano.?

« Carbon fiber iPod nano case introduced

Customizable iJacket cases for iPods announced »

Comments

Yes, I was right. I was thinking everything stated.
I can’t wait to see it.

Posted by Jonathan Keim on December 17, 2005 at 12:11 PM (PDT)

The shuffle is the perfect player to get multiple colors after the mini was axed.  It’s such an impulse buy already, anyway….

Posted by Cameron T. on December 17, 2005 at 1:51 PM (PDT)

good call cameron.  smaller shuffles with anodised aluminum cases would be sweet.

Posted by z2 on December 17, 2005 at 2:34 PM (PDT)

The shuffle is such a stupid idea. I can’t believe people get excited about this. It’s old technology!

Posted by Danny Cohen on December 17, 2005 at 6:13 PM (PDT)

Just get a refurbished 1GB from the Apple outlet store for $99 (same price as the 512 MB in the regular Apple store).

Posted by Damon on December 17, 2005 at 9:07 PM (PDT)

You have to admit though, even if iPod shuffle isn’t the most recent technology, it’s a much better deal than a lot of other low-capacity flash-based players.

Believe it or not, there a people who don’t need 60GB to store music.

Posted by EricS2008 on December 17, 2005 at 9:26 PM (PDT)

Believe it or not, there a people who don’t need 60GB to store music.

That much I have no problem believing, it’s the part about not needing to choose specific tracks, albums, or playlists; or to see what’s playing; or to rate tracks; or to mark a track with an OTG playlist for whatever reason, and so on…

Apple went too far in the quest for minimalism with the Shuffle.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on December 17, 2005 at 9:55 PM (PDT)

how many other flash players have you used?  i agreed with jobs when he said many had (at the time the shuffle was released) tortured user interfaces.  the shuffle was released at a very low price as well.  recently the other companies have come down a bit, and deals on creative players have bested the shuffle (is bestbuy dropping creative?), but its still a good on-the-go player.  its more like its own playlist, so the features you mentioned, monkey, aren’t really needed.

Posted by z2 on December 18, 2005 at 12:07 AM (PDT)

That’s Mr. Monkey to you!

Posted by Remington in Sacramento, CA on December 18, 2005 at 12:16 AM (PDT)

Hola codemonkey

I don’t need all that stuff, that is just frills for me.
I don’t need to rate the songs. Nor to mark the tracks either. Have you realised that if you repeateadly press the buttons you can skip whole albums?.
I use my 1GB shuffle as a highcapacity pendrive to carry info (I know lots of people who bought it for that reason), music is secondary, although I listen to it many, many hours a day, without worrying about scratching it.
It fits everywhere. when on the move i´m not looking at what is playing, I don’t like to disturb what i am doing to select other music either. If not moving, I just plug it to work or home computer, and run podplayer (a great solution).
I also have a 3G 40gb ipod. I wish I used it a 10% of the time I use my shuffle.
If you think your needs are the standard for the market, you’d better not work in a marketing enviroment.
Shuffles rock. (IMO & probably also the thousands who buy them)

Posted by gond on December 18, 2005 at 5:05 AM (PDT)

Better deal???  The Shuffle?

Cheaper storage vs. less control, battery longevity and features. Looks like a classic example of manufacturing tradeoffs to me.

Not everyone wants features; many people prefer being sheep and having someone else dictate their habits for them. The Shuffle is a perfect device for them.  However to me, the perfect Shuffle ended up being called the nano.

Posted by flatline response on December 18, 2005 at 5:35 AM (PDT)

I use my shuffle at the gym.  I can’t tell you how many people I see at the gym with either a full sized iPod, mini or nano who have to stop what they are doing and scroll to find the perfect playlist and/or song.  Meanwhile, all I have to do is press >> or <<.  I don’t even have stop or look at the iPod.

Posted by Black Beauty on December 18, 2005 at 2:48 PM (PDT)

Black Beauty—
You do know that full-sized ipods have the shuffle feature as well, right?

Posted by Anna on December 18, 2005 at 4:46 PM (PDT)

I think black beauty was trying to say it’s just easier to use the shuffle compared to the nano, mini, etc for certain tasks.

Posted by Macromedia on December 18, 2005 at 5:17 PM (PDT)

The buttons on the shuffle aren’t as fumbly as the video or nano. The shuffle is much easier to use without looking at it.

Posted by minty on December 18, 2005 at 10:41 PM (PDT)

Shuffle = The suck.

Don’t kid yourself, open your eyes past that little white (or gray) Apple logo.  I will admit that some people do not need playlists, EQ, FM, or fancy bells and whistles.  BUT, a screen? Come on, anybody see that Mobiblu?  What about the Sony Bean or their watch-dial one?  It can be as simple as the shuffle, every feature doesn’t have to be used.  People are shuffle crazy because Apple has made a cheap product, and they want to hop on the iPod bandwagon.  I hope the shuffle dies, and get replaced with a tiny flash drive, same price points, but more **** bells and whistles!

Conclusion: The only thing better about the Shuffle compared to other Mp3 flash players is the iTunes integration.  That, I will concede.

Posted by Jegero on December 18, 2005 at 10:56 PM (PDT)

mobiblu: non-standard usb cable (compared to the shuffle that doesn’t need a cable), and less than half the battery life of the shuffle

sony bean: priced higher, one line screen sounds harder to use than no screen (cnet seemed to hate the interface), sonicstage, and cnet also found a persistant ‘hiss’ while the shuffle sound quality has been judged great.

Posted by z2 on December 18, 2005 at 11:07 PM (PDT)

Shuffle great sounding? Whoever believes that needs to clean their earwax out. At best it’s average, and definitely to me nowhere as good as any of our other iPods, or worse still against my old Creative and iRiver players. That SigmaTel processor was a step backwards.

The Shuffle is the only iPod I’ve ever regretted buying, even though it’s the cheapest. The only advantage it has is that it’s the smallest and lightest design in the lineup, which for exercising or working in the shop came in handy. But that was before the nano came along. For me the nano’s own form factor and light weight more or less took that advantage cleanly away. And Apple’s newest flash player’s all-around flexibility has made any flash advantage the Shuffle had for us before totally obsolete.

Don’t kid yourself about the ease of use factor: the nano, mini and standard iPods (we have WAY too many examples of all in our household going back to the 3G) can all play in the same brainless ‘set and forget’ manner that the Shuffle does; it’s EASY to set and do. The Shuffle battery life is anemic for a flash player; at the time for a FP it was neat that the battery’s rechargeable, but c’mon…my last iRiver typically went 24-30 hrs on a disposable, and almost that long with a decent NiMH. And bloody hell, it’s menu system wasn’t THAT bad to learn, nor was its screen that painful to use; it ain’t rocket science running one of these things, after all.

So aside from trying to look like a stubby tongue depressor or plastic cigarette lighter, what was the advantage of the Shuffle again?

Posted by flatline response on December 19, 2005 at 2:08 AM (PDT)

Anna:  Yes, I do know about the shuffle on the full size iPod.  Yes, you are right, I could set it and go. But what happens when I don’t like the song that is playing.  I will have to stop running, take out the Pod, turn off the hold and stand there while I find the perfect song.  With the Shuffle, all I have to do is press back or forward button.  Don’t get me wrong, I love my full size iPod - I just don’t love it at the gym.

Macromedia:  You hit the nail on the head!

Posted by Black Beauty on December 19, 2005 at 7:20 AM (PDT)

you would have to convince quite a few people at head-fi that it sounds ‘average’, flatline.  the verdict over there is that it sounds great and can power some big headphones very well.

obviously the nano is better, but its also significantly more expensive.  its also significantly more scratch prone and fragile.

rechargeable batteries save money and time.  so lets go over the shuffle’s advantages
-small
-light
-durable
-cheap
-simple
-built in USB
-great sound quality

Posted by z2 on December 19, 2005 at 8:47 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >