Apple sold out of 1GB iPod shuffle until January | iLounge News

Apple sold out of 1GB iPod shuffle until January

The 1GB iPod shuffle is out of stock at Apple’s online store and is not expected to be available again until next month. A brief note on the store reads: “Sold out for holiday. Expected availability mid-January.” Coincidentally, Macworld Expo in San Francisco, where Apple annually releases new products, runs January 9-13. The 512MB shuffle is still available for order and ships in 1-2 business days, according to Apple.

American Technology Research analyst Shaw Wu said last month that the shuffle is due for a refresh as early as January. “We are hearing of an even smaller form factor (smaller than a stick of gum) and the potential for the re-introduction of multiple colors, particularly popular among women, including black,” Wu wrote in the report obtained by iLounge. “We believe price points ($99 and $129) and storage capacities (512 MB and 1 GB) will be similar to the current offerings to minimize overlap with the iPod nano.?

« Carbon fiber iPod nano case introduced

Customizable iJacket cases for iPods announced »

Comments

flatline response: Totally agree

Black Beauty: How long does it take you to find the ‘perfect’ song on your Shuffle?  Is there a button on all iPods that can go to the next track?

z2: The Shuffle’s batter life is quite pathetic compared to other’s in its class.  Back to the Sony flash players…50 hours.  They are small, light, durable, cheap (same price points as Shuffle, if you haven’t noticed) built in USB and great sound quality (I do not believe everything Cnet says).  So, all of those advantages are really expected things, more or less, in the flash player industry.  Finally, I want you to stop lying to yourself.  A screen, albiet one-line, is better than having no screen.  Period.

Posted by Jegero on December 19, 2005 at 12:24 PM (PDT)

I really don’t understand why people think that just beacuse a product is not right for them, then it is also not right for anyone else?  No one is the center of the Universe.  I think the shuffle is great at the gym or the beach.  But if you don’t think so, then don’t get it.  Don’t have to knock other people for liking it.

I would never buy an SUV but some people out there like gas guzzlers.

Posted by khyberny on December 19, 2005 at 12:57 PM (PDT)

are you still talking about the bean?  cnet had nothing but complaints about it.  it sounds like a horrible mp3 player

are you by any chance this guy?

if you have any links to good reviews of the bean, i’d be interested in taking a look.

Posted by z2 on December 19, 2005 at 1:00 PM (PDT)

just ask any kid if he wants a sony bean or an ipod nano

Posted by khyberny on December 19, 2005 at 1:08 PM (PDT)

“just ask any kid if he wants a sony bean or an ipod nano”

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on December 19, 2005 at 1:24 PM (PDT)

Bean is comparable to the shuffle, not nano. Second of all, I think the Shuffle is just way too overhyped.  People love this product because it is “right for them”.  Truth is, it is “right” because it has an Apple logo.  I own a 3G iPod.  I love it, but with the vast popularity of iPods Apple can release a thumb drive that plays music, say it has very distinct new super cool features like a “shuffle” mode, and make big bucks on it - just because it has an Apple logo.  I don’t understand why people buy into all this marketing when they can’t look at the product alone, not the company selling it.  Face it: the iPod shuffle is WAY OVERHYPED.  IT IS NOTHING, I repeat…NOTHING SPECIAL.

That said, regardless of what they do to the shuffle, it will be a big hit because it is an iPod.  I hope I am wrong when I think Apple is going to make different colors and call it a 2nd Generation shuffle.  Prove me wrong Apple. Prove me wrong.

Posted by Sum Goias on December 19, 2005 at 2:03 PM (PDT)

Crap on the Shuffle all you want, but eat these two facts:

1. It was a hit…less is more sometimes…apple was right…AGAIN!

2. It’s sold out.

Posted by Gordy. in Atlanta, GA on December 19, 2005 at 2:15 PM (PDT)

“Because the view of a corporate zombie is an argument for which product is the better one, got ya.”

Posted by khyberny on December 19, 2005 at 2:24 PM (PDT)

“Face it: the iPod shuffle is WAY OVERHYPED.  IT IS NOTHING, I repeat…NOTHING SPECIAL.”

Again, if you dont like it, dont buy it, many people including myelf love the design and the functions and simplicity.  Just because it is not right for you what gives you the right to say that it is not special or great for other people.  If you dont like the ipod or shuffle, there are other websites you can spend your time at.

Posted by khyberny on December 19, 2005 at 2:28 PM (PDT)

Gordy: It is sold out because they are releasing a new one. Duh.  I agree, it is overhyped.  There are many options out there same price with better features than the shuffle.  People are buying the logo, not the product.

That said, simple products for simple minds.

Posted by Jegero on December 19, 2005 at 2:45 PM (PDT)

“what does better product mean?  better for whom?  who is selling more product, if that is the question, i think it is pretty obvious.”

Wow, just wow. Sales mean only slightly more than the opinion of a kid. Allow me to play devil’s advocate for a moment here…

In addition to the hordes possessed of nearly fanatical devotion to a portable mpeg decoder, there is a disproportionate number of fanatical devotees to those things called “Macs” on this site. If we take your “arguments” for why the Shuffle is anything more than a hyped up, underperforming player that wouldn’t have sold 5 units manufactured by anyone else, then can we also apply them to Macs? I mean, almost nobody in the real world wants one and they represent an insignficant percentage of computer sales, ergo, by your logic Macs are crap just because kids don’t want them and they don’t sell.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on December 19, 2005 at 3:05 PM (PDT)

Very well said, and I completely agree.  Sales do not always equal quality.  Example? SHUFFLE.

Posted by iPodder on December 19, 2005 at 6:22 PM (PDT)

its obvioulsy just not what you guys were looking for.

do you have any idea how many times that argument is used against the (regular) ipods?  the people who hate the ipod are constantly takling about how everyone that owns one is a sheep and they only buy it because of the name.  they don’t even know there are alternatives…  blah blah blah.  the fact of the matter is, i have stated very plainly the advantages the shuffle has over the competition, and you’re still denying that it is a valid mp3 player that has a place in the market.

jergo, which mp3 players off the small size, weight, ease of use, and built in usb functionality?  you still haven’t presented anything.

Posted by z2 on December 19, 2005 at 7:19 PM (PDT)

you would have to convince quite a few people at head-fi that it sounds ‘average’, flatline.  the verdict over there is that it sounds great and can power some big headphones very well.

Not so; I’m certainly not going to convince you, that’s for sure. I only need to convince myself of that reality, which it was VERY easy to do when doing head-to-heads with my previous iPods and non-Apple players using a variety of formats, music types, and bitrates. Even by 4G standards (which has its own well-vocalized SQ flaws), the Shuffle has issues with sonic accuracy and imaging dynamics; not that hard to spot if you spend the time and REALLY listen.

There are quite a lot of Apple fanatics over at head-fi, many who seem to have lost all sense of unbiased opinions when it comes to their iPods and their SQ.  The Shuffle has a good sound to it but it’s certainly not close to the best I’ve heard in a DAP, or even in other iPods specifically; by my definition that qualifies as ‘average’. For $150 (which is what I paid for being an early adopter), I expected better, especially considering the lack of a comprehensive UI. It should have sounded at least as good as the “lousy UIed garbage” that my “flawed” iRivers FDAPs supposedly has that “ruins” the listening experience (thank q, Mr. Jobs, for that worthless piece of enlightenment). If you’re not going to give me a complete UI, then at least give me excellent sound…which *SHOCK* you did not do.

If you want to take the argument that the Shuffle offers some level of value…sure, it does, as long as you recognize that it’s “value” comes at a cost of added features that other players do include. Apple isn’t fooling anyone who bothers to look; they took the approach that storage capacity was most important, and created the Shuffle around that.  To say that the resulting simplistic interface is what even a halfway experienced DAP user wants, let alone a power user…that’s pushing it. If anything, it gives a first-time DAP buyer an easier way to get into iPods…or a lazy music listener an always near-brainless method of playing his or her tunes.

In that respect it did its job, but the Shuffle was and still is a perfect example of a compromised design, done in order to get the price down for the market segment Apple was really intending it for.

Posted by flatline response on December 20, 2005 at 4:53 AM (PDT)

Try an iRiver iFP-series (think the latest 1GB unit is the 899); No, it isn’t in white and doesn’t look like a fat popcicle stick, and it lists for $50 more than the 1GB Shuffle (but is commonly discounted so the actual price difference is much less), but it does a hell of a lot more and sounds pretty damn good, even if it doesn’t have a Li-Ion to recharge (still, 40 hrs out of a single AA Energizer has to be worth something). Of course, it won’t fly very far if AAC is your thing…

Posted by flatline response on December 20, 2005 at 5:02 AM (PDT)

which iFP series specifically?  there are a handful.  none of them have a built in USB connector, which allows the player to function as a USB key.  in fact, reviews point out that they do not even show up as a flash drive, and you need drivers and software to use them (this may have changed, since there are so many).  its also something like 4 times the size of the shuffle.

since i don’t know which one you’re talking about, i chose the iFP-799 1GB player.  the cheapest i found it was $150 + s/h.  i would still say thats significantly more than the shuffle.

in the long run, i would much rather have a built in rechargeable.  i realise theres a place for both types of batteries, but for my usage, the built in rechargeable is much less of a hassle and only puts the cost of ownership of the iFP still higher.

so you still haven’t presented a player that has the USB key functionality, the size, or the weight.

of course i realise there are sacrifices, there are sacrifices with any product.  but you act like the sacrifices for the shuffle are horendous and illogical, which i disagree with.

Posted by z2 on December 20, 2005 at 9:20 AM (PDT)

Illogicial?  Not putting a screen.  Parading around some ‘cool’ feature called “shuffle”.  Stupid.  Apple?  Finally addressing their weakest Mp3 player.

Posted by Alex on December 20, 2005 at 11:14 PM (PDT)

i’ll agree that hyping the shuffle part wasn’t a good idea (many people thought it couldn’t even play in order).

the lack of the screen is honestly not as detrimental as you might think.  i guess you have to own one to know that its not all that necessary.  maybe you should also buy the sony bean and then you can compare which one is easier to use and provides you with a better esperience.

Posted by z2 on December 21, 2005 at 1:05 AM (PDT)

The shuffle was my first iPod. I bought it last march.

At the time, it really was a good deal, it offered 2-4 times the capacity of anything on the market, including the cheapest brands. 512Mb was a minimum for me as it was a little more than my music collection. I arranged the playlist with my favorite tunes first and last, so that they would be near the track 1, which can be accessed by clicking play 3 times quickly. The songs in the middle were my “least” preferred, or classics that I know too much. Those were for when I used the random mode.

Having no screen, I had a mental representation of my playlist so I always could easily find a song that I wanted near the current one.

There was a few little bugs that are now fixed, but it added to the “life is random” aspect, and it’s “just” music anyway, not a spreadsheet. The way it fits in your hand and can be used without looking is a plus for the shuffle.

So then two months ago I bought a 2 gigs nano and sold my shuffle for $50 smile

I don’t have a case and use it every day, and scratches are superficial, I don’t know what those people do to theirs but mine looks fine.

The nano has cool neat features and I use most of them, but the best improvement for me over the shuffle was the equalizer settings…

I do miss my shuffle though… I miss the simple thumb control and perfect fit in the hand. I miss not having to bother about which menu or playlist I’m in. I miss just having to think about the music…

Now, it’s been less than a year since the shuffle has been introduced, it cannot remain screen-less forever, and if it does get a screen I hope it keeps the same form factor and controls.

I predict a new iPod shuffle at Macworld with a screen and IR to transmit mystery data to mystery device.

Posted by vl-tone on December 21, 2005 at 5:40 AM (PDT)

since i don’t know which one you’re talking about

Er, if you had read my post more carefully, you would’ve read ‘899’ for the iFP…and I found a couple of sites that sold that 1GB player for around $150, with s/h. More expensive than the 1GB Shuffle, sure, but musically and functionally it does quite a bit more.

Yes, you’re correct in saying that the iFP doesn’t have built-in USB connectivity like the Shuffle (you need a separate cable), but frankly it’s not all that inconvenient for me to carry a cable around when I sometimes connect my 4G or 5G to transfer files to/from work, but then I usually have it conveniently stored in my backpack or portfolio.

Now I’ve never really used any of my old iRivers FDAPs as a file transfer device, either (I used my Nomad Zens back then), and these days with microdrives, SD cards and USB drives so cheap I seldom even bother using my iPods (only when I forget the USB drives at the office or home).

As for the “horrible-ness” of the Shuffle: for me, yeah, it stunk as a music player, mainly because I’m so used to having more flexibility with any DAP. But it being the only AAC flash DAP at the time, I bought one anyways. I never needed or wanted it for file transfer and even for music I only ended up using it for about the first 4 months or so after buying it (got it about 1 1/2 weeks after its introduction), when I finally got fed up with its “simpliness” and missed the superior SQ of my 4G. So in the end, I guess you could say for me it was a “horrible” waste of money.

Occasionally someone in the household would use it, but generally they’d use my or my wife’s old 3Gs instead. But when the nano came out and we picked up a couple of those, the two Shuffles we had got a permanent retirement (someday I suppose they’ll end up on eBay, if I wasn’t so lazy); no one here in our family shows them much love these days, if they ever did. Only did our Nomad Zens get forgotten faster than the Shuffles, and I still occasionally use the Zens.

Posted by flatline response on December 23, 2005 at 8:21 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2