Apple stores to broadcast music event | iLounge News

Apple stores to broadcast music event

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Monday, October 13, 2003
News Categories: iTunes

Apple retail stores nationwide will be presenting a live satellite broadcast of the expected release of iTunes for Windows and more this Thursday, October 16 at 10 a.m. PT. “The year’s biggest music story is about to get even bigger.”

« Mac: PodMonkey 1.1.1 Released

Proporta to release aluminum iPod case »

Comments

So, basically we can assume that at 1pm EST we’ll have iTunes officially launch?  Neato, I’ll have my account at 1:01pm then

Posted by The Only Druid on October 13, 2003 at 6:40 PM (PDT)

w()()7

Posted by req on October 13, 2003 at 6:41 PM (PDT)

Yahoooooo!!!!! I plan on camping out in Soho.

Posted by Christianicononev.2 on October 13, 2003 at 6:42 PM (PDT)

awesome

Posted by Mongoos150 on October 13, 2003 at 7:25 PM (PDT)

yeah it sucks, the closest apple store is in Soho :X. Iam in Queens and dont have it in me to make the trip ;P

Posted by zeve on October 13, 2003 at 7:41 PM (PDT)

Spare a thought for the Europeans. 10am PST = 6pm BST, isn’t it?

Posted by Wobbler on October 14, 2003 at 3:52 AM (PDT)

I was thinking about hitting SoHo but decided in the end as cool as it would be to be there for the annoncement I rather be home set to download iTunes as soon as it debuts. Train ride back to Brooklyn from SoHo would just take too damn long! wink

Posted by SpideyXP on October 14, 2003 at 4:28 AM (PDT)

I will be on NY starting this weekend until the 23, so no luck on this or Panther special event.

Posted by sergio on October 14, 2003 at 5:17 AM (PDT)

Really it’s not that exciting.  I would only download music from here that I don’t care that much about.  Liner notes, etc. are part of a good album.

Posted by enfused on October 14, 2003 at 9:45 AM (PDT)

Anyone know what else is going to be announced besides IMS for Windows?

Posted by Scott on October 14, 2003 at 10:35 AM (PDT)

According to IPodhacks.com, One of the Accessories they will also announce at this event will be a recording device.  As well as increased functionality of Itunes across the board, such as Time-limited previewing of tracks before buying them.  Can’t wait!! Here’s a thought though.  Why not broadcast the event on the website?  A lot of people would tune in I bet, especially since its during the work day and they don’t have anything better to do.

Posted by Patrick on October 14, 2003 at 12:13 PM (PDT)

How are we going to all download iTunes at the same time? We need to set up shifts.  smile

I work 2 blocks away from the Apple Store in Chicago (but I think I’ll skip)... what if the annoucement is just to say “November Fools!!!!!”

Posted by Derek on October 14, 2003 at 12:54 PM (PDT)

—————————
—————————

Amazing. You can now buy several clunky add-ons for your iPods to deliver FM and Recording that do almost as good a job as my iRiver iHP-120.

Of course, your iPods equal the iRiver’s outstanding S/N sound quality, or the optical digital input and output, but keep the faith! I’m sure Apple will release an iPod *one day* with somewhat decent features.

Of course, you will have to pay through the nose and settle for 3-hour battery life. But hey! At least it will be all white!

Posted by reviews on October 14, 2003 at 2:06 PM (PDT)

Do you think the last guy likes the iRiver?
Na…..he’s an IPod fan.

Posted by SpideyXP on October 14, 2003 at 3:35 PM (PDT)

Read Cnet’s review of the IRiver:“We found the multidirectional joystick control on the front easy enough to use for navigating the deep menu structure, but compared to the iPod’s scrollwheel, it makes going through long lists of songs a tedious chore.”

Plus, the Ipod is just so much cooler.  So why don’t you hang out on Iriverlounge.com? Oh wait, it doesn’t exist.  Sorry.

Posted by Patrick on October 14, 2003 at 5:52 PM (PDT)

I used to think “Applites” were kinda loopy. Then I got one.You can figure out the rest…
I’m sooooo psyched it’s scary,or maybe it just means I have too much free time on my hands…
I understand the point the Enfused makes,but Itunes,if anything,will probably increase my CD and vinyl purchases.I buy a lot of them,right now,as it is.If they have a section that specializes in imports,even better. And not having to hassle with re-ripping? Yeah! And while there are so many other reasons that I think I-Tunes is the greatest thing to come down the pike since,well,Ipod, for me,the most important is being able to finally buy “Promo Only"remixes commercially.On this particular point, I give the labels credit. Barely.For the longest time,if I couldn’t get them via alternate means,I had to resort to other options,which meant subjecting myself to potential viruses,irritating pop-up ads,and all sorts of other crap that I won’t get into.
Let the countdown begin…

Posted by Christianicononev.2 on October 14, 2003 at 6:57 PM (PDT)

$399 for that 20 gig iRiver sounds like paying through the nose to me! To each his own I guess. As far as the downloading itune songs, I have no interest as the guy stated above… the liner notes and such are always interesting to me. Besides at .99 there is no great incentive when I can buy the album for 11.99. I just hope we get itunes for windows software to sync with so I can throw away MM!

Posted by Del Griffith on October 15, 2003 at 5:06 AM (PDT)

“The iRiver iHP-100, which is the company’s first stab at the hard drive market, sits between the iPod and Zen NX in many ways. The sound quality is not quite on par with Creative’s, but is better than Apple’s. It is slightly larger than the iPod, but a good bit smaller than the Zen NX. However, in terms of straight features and abilities it beats the hell out of both.

No player is more versatile than the iHP-100. From the digital optical in and out to the insane menu system, there is nothing you could ask of a portable that isn’t in the iHP-100. This is something iRiver is famous for, and the company didn’t hold back with the iHP-100.

Another big draw is that the iHP-100 shows up as a generic hard drive. You don’t need any software or drivers; you simply drag and drop.

Unfortunately, the very things that make this such an impressive device also make it the most expensive in the shootout. Make no mistake: This is the Starship Enterprise of hard drive portables. However, you pay out the a** for it.

The iHP-100 is my daily player. And if you aren’t on a budget, then I recommend it without reservation. However, the price will turn many people off.”

Posted by iHP on October 15, 2003 at 8:18 AM (PDT)

Dudes, the reason the iPod is so damn easy to use with the scrollwheel is because it does so damn little. No features => simple UI. It’s like thew damn one-button mouse that plagued the Macs for so long. Steve Jobs made it happen and because the early 128K and 512K Macs could basically do nothing, this wasn’t a problem. At the time people went “Oooooooo! A single button mouse is *so* much easier to use than those nasty PCs with two or three buttons”

Later, as Macs improved and added features, working with the single-button mouse was a chore—you had to press single or double modifier keys on the keyboard for context selection and dragging.

I hope you are smart enough to see the analogy I am drawing here for you. The iPod is underfeatured so it can get away with a simple linear selection tool. Other handhelds are doing more (FM, recording, encoding, on-device playlist editing, text viewing, memos) so the interface is more complex, by necessity.

The iPods is like a learner car for people—it’s made intentionally simple. Grow up!

Posted by SimpleIsAs on October 15, 2003 at 8:27 AM (PDT)

Maybe its iTunes for windows, maybe its Itunes music store outside of the US (is it available in Canada as well?),  but I have a friend who babysits for a man in our city, who overheard a man in McDonalds who looked a bit like Steve Jobs, who was holding a DVD, Which can only mean one thing….The staff of Apples rendition of Grease. smile

Posted by Beninio on October 15, 2003 at 11:12 AM (PDT)