Apple sued over Click Wheel touch sensor technology | iLounge News

Apple sued over Click Wheel touch sensor technology

Quantum Research Group has sued Apple, claiming technology used to make the iPod’s Click Wheel infringes on a touch sensor patent it holds. “We are suing Apple over charge-transfer technology in iPods,” said Quantum CEO Hal Philipp. “Some are based on Cypress’ PSoC chip and used in a way we believe infringes our patent… There are settlement discussions going on but I believe it will go to trial later this year. I am hoping iPhone does not contain Quantum-patented charge-transfer technology.” The legal action against Apple was initiated in December 2005 but has been kept under wraps until now. Apple recently filed an answer “denying all material allegations and asserting numerous affirmative defences.” The company also filed “counterclaims for non-infringement and invalidity” in July.

« Transformers iPod speaker system debuts

HandStands offers iSnug Accessory Kit »

Comments

I wanna sue too!

Posted by unreal on January 22, 2007 at 3:42 PM (PDT)

“I am hoping iPhone does not contain Quantum-patented charge-transfer technology.”

Uh huh. Sure.

Posted by stompy on January 22, 2007 at 3:53 PM (PDT)

I am filing suit today regarding the use of my fruit’s name.

Signed,
The apple tree

Posted by Jim2300 on January 22, 2007 at 4:12 PM (PDT)

I have also filed suit against Apple regarding the use of plastics, metals and glass (herein after known as ‘physical matter’) in some or all of its products.

Regards,
The periodic table of elements

Posted by Multimoog on January 22, 2007 at 4:46 PM (PDT)

Opportunism!

Posted by Chris G on January 22, 2007 at 5:38 PM (PDT)

HE HE HE. I like this legal bulllsh**.

Posted by Verities on January 22, 2007 at 5:47 PM (PDT)

omg, Apple is sued on a daily basis.

Posted by ddsd on January 22, 2007 at 5:55 PM (PDT)

STOP WITH THE LAWSUITS!

Posted by Brent on January 22, 2007 at 6:09 PM (PDT)

Have you noticed that Apple has been using the tech it is being sued for for years? It is only when a company goes bigtime that they get sued a lot. Microsoft and IBM went through it, Apple will pull through too. Most of the cases get thrown out by judges who realize this, anyway.

Posted by anti-luddite on January 22, 2007 at 6:51 PM (PDT)

We will also sue apple because all, and I mean ALL of their products require some sort of manipulation with the hands.

Best Wishes,
Handheld devices

P.S. Light too is looking into the issue with refraction and reflection found in Apple products as well. Lets hope the new iPhone does not use light in this matter.

Posted by Mike on January 22, 2007 at 7:45 PM (PDT)

Geez, I bet the one who invented the wheel would love to be around right now! Am I the only one who’s a tad tired of hearing about all these ridiculous patent lawsuits, regardless of what side is blaming the other.

Posted by canadan on January 22, 2007 at 8:40 PM (PDT)

Business world law suits over patents is common place and ridiculous…much of it driven by oportunism.  But keep in mind a couple things.  Apple has stated it will do everything within it’s power to defend their own patents if they feel they are infringed upon…along with Apple suing over the use of “pod” in various product names.  It’s all part of the business and Apple has been on both ends of the absurdity.

Posted by bluecow on January 22, 2007 at 9:31 PM (PDT)

Where were these idiots when the iPod was invented 5 years ago?

I hope this suit gets dismissed of ignorance.

Posted by Bonk on January 22, 2007 at 9:40 PM (PDT)

Yup… that’s what these pathetic little companies do when when someone else hits it big using technology that is even just marginally similar to theirs. What a shame!

Posted by RLC915 on January 22, 2007 at 9:45 PM (PDT)

I’m going to sue iLounge for copyright infringment on my special orange color.

Posted by joe on January 22, 2007 at 9:48 PM (PDT)

You people are so lame! Apple fanatics all around. Don’t you think it is normal for someone to protect his or her rights and possesions? Apple sues all over the place because we, who have PDA’s and smartphones, have the iPhone wallpaper on our phones, saying it is Apple’s property. So what if it’s their property? They steal from other companies everyday and them cheat them out of their intelectual property through loop-holes.
I really like the iPod. But Apple is strating to smell a tad bit like Microsux sewage. And don’t think Jobs is the IT saviour. He is just as greedy as Gates. Just look at the profit they are making with the iPod: 50%. That’s HUGE! He just got railed in the 80’s… That’s why he isn’t just like Gates.

Posted by Just me on January 22, 2007 at 11:52 PM (PDT)

And this is for Bonk: the first iPod had a mechanical wheel, #####. And the reason the lawsuit was put forward only in 2005 is that it takes time for a company to realize that a product form another company is using a product based on its patent

Posted by Just me on January 22, 2007 at 11:54 PM (PDT)

If you can’t beat ‘em, sue ‘em!

Posted by Cad on January 23, 2007 at 4:39 AM (PDT)

Just me, I was talking about the 2G iPod, and it’s 4 years, my mistake.

Posted by Bonk on January 23, 2007 at 5:15 AM (PDT)

Just me: how can it take time to realize that a product that became so well known in such a short from a big company is using their patent? If you look at this whole thing, it’s ridiculous. It’s touch sensor technology, it’s everywhere and everyone uses it!

Posted by sue on January 23, 2007 at 5:16 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >