Apple sued over iPod battery life | iLounge News

Apple sued over iPod battery life

Apple today filed its quarterly report with the Securites and Exchange Commission. The report listed several lawsuits against Apple, one of which was five plaintiffs;  Craft, Chin, Hughes, Westley and Keegan “filed purported class action cases in various Northern California courts alleging misrepresentations by the Company relative to iPod battery life. The complaints include causes of action for violation of California Civil Code Section

Also noted in the report were net sales for iPod.

iPod unit sales: 733,000, up 235% from Q4 2003 to Q1 2004
iPod net sales: $256 million, up 216% from from Q4 2003 to Q1 2004
Quarter ending 12/27/03

“Net sales of peripherals and other hardware rose $281 million or 129% during the first quarter of 2004 compared to the same quarter in 2003. This increase is due primarily to the significant year-over-year increase in iPod net sales of $175 million or 216%.

« More disdain for Pepsi iTunes ad

Mac: Connect iPod, iTunes crashes in OS X 10.3 »

Comments

This iPod battery issue reminds me of people who buy brand new cars, run them into the ground by flooring it all the time, then complaining when it breaks down because it’s a “new” car.

If you’re so concerned about your iPod’s battery life, don’t be a dope and drain it everyday!  Keep it charged and you’ll manage to have it for 3 to 4 years.

Posted by Ryan on February 10, 2004 at 10:52 AM (CST)

I agree. This whole suit is stupid. If you were using regular,  non-recharable batteries, you’d pay out the rear to keep your ipod powered up. If you bought recharable batteries, I guarentee you’d pay more than the cost of the $99 battery replacement that Apple offers after 18 months of use. I love my ipod, can’t imagine life without it, and will be happy to pay for a new battery to be replaced right when the day comes.

Posted by Eric on February 10, 2004 at 11:14 AM (CST)

If your concerned with battery life buy a sony minidisc player, it gets 56hrs on a AA battery. and the new models come out soon that will get 45hrs on a disc. I got my ipod so i can have access to all my music when im gone from home for a few weeks at a time. not for battery life.

Posted by keebie on February 10, 2004 at 11:15 AM (CST)

It would be nice if we lived in an ideal world.  In today’s time, its practically “taboo” not to sue!  This lawsuit is nothing short of frivolous just like the lawsuite on the stated size of a harddrive vs. the formatted size.

Posted by jsmoove on February 10, 2004 at 11:19 AM (CST)

Posted by y2kjonrichards on February 10, 2004 at 11:19 AM (CST)

I wonder why people complain about the iPod but not things like the Gameboy Advance SP which seems to be under a similar situation battery wise?

Posted by NeoWolf on February 10, 2004 at 11:51 AM (CST)

Actually, my Gameboy Advance SP is one of the only products I own that lives up to its advertised battery life.

Posted by Reni on February 10, 2004 at 12:14 PM (CST)

It is about time someone brought apple to court over this issue. Don’t get me wrong, I love my iPod. It isn’t even the fact that the battery dies after a period of time (all rechargables do) that angers me, it’s that apple tries to make money off this and any other problems you encounter with your iPod. I called customer service (because my iPod keeps freezing on startup) yesterday only to be told that if I want help it would cost me 49.99 per issue or 59.99 for the apple care program. I know it is after the 90 days of free support I am entitled to, but 49.99$ ? I think as a customer who paid 700$ CDN for an iPod, I should be treated with a little more respect.

Posted by Dmo on February 10, 2004 at 12:25 PM (CST)

“Why do american have to sue everyone? I heard that somebody was sueing Janet Jackson for showing her breast, thsi is just stupid, just get over it!”

I am an American - and I couldn’t agree with you more. Evry time I hear some kid say “I’m in law scool” it just makes me want to smack him.

Too many lawyers and too many losers with too much time on their hands.

Posted by Chris on February 10, 2004 at 12:45 PM (CST)

What is this country coming to? I sewar, we are brought up in school to think EVERYTHING can be solve with words-in short, lawyers. We should just hack ‘em all.

I wonder how many people are going to go out today and buy an iPod, just so they can sue Apple for 5,000 or 10,000 dollars. Just like that mountan springs bottled water thing…...

This country (America) is going down the tubes….

Posted by Dan on February 10, 2004 at 12:56 PM (CST)

The real issue, in my opinion, is not how many years will the battery last—it is why does Apple claim longer usage per charge then we realize—that is the fraud/false adverising issue.  Sure, i can not switch songs and not use the backlight to extend the length of each charge—I can also not use the unit to reserve the charge.

Posted by Ian from the US on February 10, 2004 at 12:57 PM (CST)

Yes, but how many 12” PB owners were disappointed that their 5 hr battery only lasted really 3 hours with conservative use? I was.

Posted by zed on February 10, 2004 at 1:02 PM (CST)

I think Jobs should just hire some particularly nasty hired goons and have those cock suckers fucked right over.

Posted by Tom on February 10, 2004 at 2:31 PM (CST)

Tom, erm, you might want to reconsider that kind of language in future.

Anyway, the issue at hand here isn’t the replacement of the battery. I’m fully aware that I’ll have to replace my battery, and I think 18months-2years is reasonable.

What I object to is apple’s claim of 8 hours battery life. It’s only when you read the smallprint in your manual that says “50% volume, don’t touch the buttons, pray all the time while it’s on, wait for Jupiter and Mars to be aligned, channel all psychological energy into the unit blah blah blah” and you will get your 8 hours. Why not just test the damn thing under normal user conditions and put THAT time-rating on the adverts?

Posted by doctorjuggles on February 10, 2004 at 3:09 PM (CST)

“This country (America) is going down the tubes….”

Hey Dan….what do you mean going??  America has been the boil on the ass of humanity for way longer than anyone alive today can remember.  Keep suing, keep starting wars, keep trying to brainwash the rest of the world with your vales and ideals….....it’s only going to breed more Osama’s & more Saddam’s, keeping the circle which your country relies on alive.

Posted by no revelation at all on February 10, 2004 at 3:21 PM (CST)

“f you’re so concerned about your iPod’s battery life, don’t be a dope and drain it everyday! Keep it charged and you’ll manage to have it for 3 to 4 years.”

Ryan,
Isnt the deal with the battery that people charge it up when its not needed? thus reducing the efficiency. or charging it up everyday to keep power topped up?

i always thoughtwith rechargeable bateries that you let it drain fully or 95% before charging…..anyone help?

Posted by Tan on February 10, 2004 at 3:45 PM (CST)

From what I’ve read, Apple’s battery is good for 200+ (if I remember correctly) full drains.  Meaning you have your iPod fully charged and play it all the way until it’s fully drained.

Keeping it charged and avoiding full drains will extend the life of your battery to last the life of your iPod.

There’s a theory that you should fully drain your battery once a month in order to let the battery remember full power, but that seems kind of silly and isn’t proven.

Posted by Ryan on February 10, 2004 at 4:36 PM (CST)

The older batteries would lost their charge overnight, despite being fully charged. Also, playtime would shrink from the normal 6+ hours down to 1-2 off a full charge.

Despite always charging my 1st-gen 5GB iPod when possible, I had these same problems too after awhile. But after doing the infamous “manual battery fix” and updated the software to 1.3, it’s gone back to normal 5-6 hours of playback and does not die on me anymore overnight.

Posted by Inspector Gadget on February 10, 2004 at 4:42 PM (CST)

Shame, Inspector Gadget, you shouldn’t have fixed it. You could have sued Apple!

Oh, yes, the american lawsystem, don’t you just love it?

Posted by cAPTAIN aMERICA on February 10, 2004 at 5:36 PM (CST)

I’m just finishing up medical school and am being educated in my jurisprudence classes about the many times I’ll be sued when I start practice.  Joy.  I got into medicine to help people.  Kinda makes me wish I’d gone into something else.

Posted by george dubya bush on February 10, 2004 at 5:45 PM (CST)

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >