Apple takes lead in flash market, continues domination
During its second quarter conference call with press and analysts, Apple revealed that the iPod shuffle was the No. 1 selling flash-based MP3 player worldwide in February with 43 percent market share. The iPod shuffle is expected to be the top-selling flash player in the coming months, but NPD Techworld (which calculates the sales numbers) has not yet released reports for March.
Apple’s iTunes Music Store remains the clear leader in online music sales with a share of 70-75 percent, according to Nielsen Soundscan. The company said over 350 million songs have now been purchased and downloaded from iTunes.
In addition, Apple’s share of the worldwide hard drive-based MP3 player market stands at over 90 percent. With Apple’s quick takeover of the flash market, the company now accounts for more than 70 percent of all MP3 players sold.
Apple also said that Hewlett Packard’s share of the iPod market dropped last quarter to only 3 percent of iPod sales.
- Apple patents fourth-generation iPod shuffle
- Updated photo gallery: every new 2012 iPod shuffle
- First photos show 2012 iPod shuffle colors, textures
- New iPod shuffle to debut at WWDC?
- Apple patent points to iPod nano/shuffle speaker
- Despite rumors, iPod shuffle + classic still available
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple’s Cue reveals more iBooks launch details
- Apple releases Commitment to Customer Privacy statement
- iOS 7 shown on iPad through emulator
- Photo leak shows Logitech iOS controller
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, June giveaway reminder
- Apple site reveals iOS 7 for iPad, alternate icons
- Apple’s Cue: Jobs needed convincing on iBooks
- Microsoft Office app arrives for iPhone, iPod
- Key claims confirmed for Apple rubber-banding patent
- Apps: Angry Birds Star Wars 1.3, Myspace 3.0.1, QR Reader 3.5 + Word Lens 2.1.1
- Soundfreaq Sound Step Lightning SFQ-02L
- LifeProof Frē for iPad mini
- iBattz Mojo Refuel Removable Battery Case + Mojo Refuel Armor Kit for iPhone 5
- Geneva Lab Geneva Sound System Model S Wireless
- Bracketron Twist & Charge
- CruxCase CruxSkunk Keyboard Case for iPad 2, iPad (3rd/4th-Gen)
- Sol Republic Master Tracks
- Beats Electronics Beats Executive
- Jabra Revo + Revo Bluetooth Wireless Stereo Headphones
- Innovative Technology Justin Case Rechargeable Power Case for iPad 2, iPad (3rd/4th-Gen)
- iOS 7: Weather, Stocks, Calendar + Reminders
- iOS 7: Phone, FaceTime, Messages + Contacts
- iOS 7: iTunes Store, App Store, Calculator + Mail
- iOS 7: Music, Videos, Photos + Camera
- iOS 7: Clock, Game Center, Newsstand + Safari
- iOS 7: Siri + Voice Control
- iOS 7: Activation Lock + Find My iPhone
- iOS 7: Control Center, Notification Center, Spotlight, Multitasking
- iOS 7: Maps, Passbook, Compass + Notes
- iOS 7: The New Lock Screen + Home Screen