Apple taking orders for Nike + iPod Sport Kit | iLounge News

Apple taking orders for Nike + iPod Sport Kit

image

Apple has begun accepting pre-orders for the Nike + iPod Sport Kit, which was announced late last month. The $29 system consists of a wireless shoe sensor and iPod nano receiver that allow users to record and track workout information such as time, distance, calories burned and pace. Apple states on its website that the Nike + iPod Sport Kit will ship in 4-5 weeks. The first Nike+ shoes designed to work with the kit are expected to start shipping in July. [via TUAW]

« Scandinavian groups extend Apple’s iTunes deadline

Mix: iCheating, Toilet issues, Breakout quarter, Apple fine »

Comments

No ipod video support? Way to render something useless apple.  Im not buying a nano just to use this

Posted by Josh on June 14, 2006 at 11:06 AM (PDT)

Josh, I haven’t seen anything that conclusively states that this can or cannot be used with the 5G iPod. Have you? Before claiming that Apple has rendered this “useless”, make sure you know what you’re talking about.

Anyone else out there heard whether or not this can be used with the 5G iPod?

Posted by Jason on June 14, 2006 at 11:29 AM (PDT)

I was all psyched up!  What a let down, no video support.  I agree, I thought they got enough money off of me from the first two Ipods I bought.  Not downgrading from my Video IPod to a Nano just to see how great a runner I am.  Sheesh…what a let down.  :>(

Posted by JoeyPod on June 14, 2006 at 11:31 AM (PDT)

It states it as a disclaimer on its website that you have to have a Nano.  Follow the link to Apples sites…Listed as a “Requirement”.

Posted by JoeyPod on June 14, 2006 at 11:32 AM (PDT)

There you go Jason, I do happen to know what im talking about.  I saw the same thing JoeyPod saw.

Posted by Josh on June 14, 2006 at 11:53 AM (PDT)

Someone pointed out that Apple may not want to endorse the use of a hard-drive based device in an activity like running while flash-based devices would be fine (hard-drives can break more easily).  It may work on the video ipod but apple wouldn’t be liable for a broken ipod if it never said you can use it while running.  We’ll have to wait until someone tests it on their ipod video.

Posted by Drew on June 14, 2006 at 11:58 AM (PDT)

Who in the world would want to seriously run with a full size ipod.  Get over it.

Posted by Tomato on June 14, 2006 at 12:02 PM (PDT)

I agree. I believe the it will work with the video, but would not be recommended as isn’t flash based.

Question is, will it work with any other shoe? Because so far from what I’ve read, the only extra feature of the Nike+ shoes is that the left shoe has a slot to insert the sensor. I could be wrong though.

Also, what kind of battery does the sensor use? Surely it needs to be changed after a few months or so.

Posted by Hans on June 14, 2006 at 12:18 PM (PDT)

Hans,

The link has a grey disclaimer about the non-replaceable battery in the sensor….

Posted by ludite on June 14, 2006 at 1:29 PM (PDT)

Does the sensor have to go in the special Nike shoe?
Could it be tied into the laces of a regular sneaker?

Posted by irunner on June 14, 2006 at 1:47 PM (PDT)

I wonder if the sensor uses pressure sensitivity or something like apple’s sudden motion sensor to gather the information.

Posted by dysenteryjerry on June 14, 2006 at 2:39 PM (PDT)

They made an armband for the original ipod back in the day, people had no problem strapping that to their arms and runnign with it.  A video ipod isnt a 5 pound item to carry around.  People used to run with, believe it or not, walkmans!  Those were 20 times bulkier than an ipod, and no one had issues with that.  Give ipod video support to this thing!

Posted by Josh on June 14, 2006 at 6:25 PM (PDT)

Josh, Apple never made an armband for the full sized iPod, 3rd party companies did.

Apple says it only works with the nano because it is flashed based and doesn’t have any moving parts.  It is a digital audio player meant for running where as the full size iPod is not an iPod meant for sports-related activities.

Posted by brad on June 14, 2006 at 7:22 PM (PDT)

I actually cycle around 200 km/week with my full sized iPod. No problems; third party solution as its attached to my arm. Actually works fine! I can imagine running to be a little bumpier. I’m quite sure that the video iPod will work with the nike extension. But as mentioned before… hd’s don’t like movement!

Posted by Ward Grootjans on June 14, 2006 at 9:16 PM (PDT)

It would cool or hopefully someone can come up with a solution without having to use this with Nike shoes.  I love running and I would love to be able to use this with my existing shoes already.

Posted by Oliver on June 14, 2006 at 9:34 PM (PDT)

Oliver: A solution already exists. It´s called “socks”. Though it hasn´t been proved yet, the sensor probably works just as well in you sock around your leg a few inches above your shoes…

Posted by ma on June 15, 2006 at 1:00 AM (PDT)

Thanks for the info ludite, missed it.

All in all, better to wait for an iLounge review and see how it is. Price is not bad though.

Josh, I’d wait till the product actually comes out before slamming it. It should work with the video. But if it doesn’t (even though there’s no reason it wouldn’t) work, then, sorry.

Posted by Hans on June 15, 2006 at 5:33 AM (PDT)

Here’s a possible solution to using on non-Nike shoes - go to a local running shop or online and get a “key-pocket that attaches to the laces of your running shoes- I am willing to bet the sensor wold work best this way since the sensor would be in almost the same position as if inserted in the Nike shoe (the sensor would be on top of your shoe instead of underneath your foot inside the shoe).  I have the Nike SDM tailwind ( a couple years old) which attaches to the top of the shoe and I am pretty sure the Nike-Apple product is using the same technology.  It measures by velocity of foot movement.

Posted by Greg McIntyre on June 15, 2006 at 5:53 AM (PDT)

I have a polar SD200 that does the same thing plus tracking heart rate. I always thought it would be awesome if this information got sent to the ipod. I bet they add heart rate for the next version and then you will all have to go out and get that one too.

Posted by Edmo on June 15, 2006 at 10:07 AM (PDT)

With the proprietary 802.11b they will most likely introduce a whole sweet of perfomance monitoring doodads.

While I would agree that running with a hard drive probably isn’t the best thing in the world, we’re also not talking about direct IO to sound here.  Apple created a sustended drive system and a large buffer designed to accomodate activity.  I think the absense of Apple supplying running/activity cases is a flimsy and anecdotal response.

Viva La 5G on a 10K!!!!

Posted by JoeyPod on June 15, 2006 at 12:02 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >