Apple talks with holdout labels on DRM-free music | iLounge News

Apple talks with holdout labels on DRM-free music

Apple is in discussions with Universal Music Group, Warner Music Group, and Sony BMG in hopes of offering DRM-free music from the labels on the iTunes Store, according to a new report. Citing two anonymous music industry sources, CNet reports that the talks are still preliminary, and although no deals have been finalized, one source suggests at least one of the three holdouts is close to an agreement. Apple first began offering DRM-free music, dubbed “iTunes Plus,” from label EMI last May. Over the following months, EMI, along with the other three major labels, began offering their music in a DRM-free format to rival music stores, such as those run by Amazon and Wal-Mart; offering DRM-free music from all four labels would bring the iTunes Store back into parity with these other services.

« Puzzle MMORPG Aurora Feint II shown for iPhone, iPod touch

GenevaLab launches GenevaSound Home Theater »

Comments

Except that even with the DRM free issue resolved, iTunes is often more expensive (especially for a whole album) AND you have to convert the songs to mp3s to use them in other devices.

Posted by superape on November 19, 2008 at 3:47 PM (CST)

Are there mp3 players that dont support AAC files??

iPod - Yes
Zune - Yes
Sansa - No
Creatvie ZEN - Yes

I really didnt know AAC (non DRM) wasn’t on every player.  I usually rip all my CDs into AAC format.  I guess that wasnt a good idea incase I every get rid of the ipod.

Posted by Jeff Kempster on November 19, 2008 at 4:01 PM (CST)

I’ve got about 100 tracks in a wishlist, waiting for the day when those tracks are offered in DRM-free iTunes Plus.  Until then, I’m not buying.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on November 19, 2008 at 4:26 PM (CST)

It’s a bit ridiculous that the labels are holding off on releasing their music to the iTunes store. They want flexible pricing? Heck, even if iTunes kept that tracks at $0.99, which is more than what Amazon and other services charge, many people would gladly pay it since the interface and design of iTunes and the iTunes store is so convenient. At the end of the day, they are hurting their consumers, not Apple.

Posted by Germansuplex on November 19, 2008 at 4:59 PM (CST)

@Galley,

Those tracks are probably offered on Amazon, Rhapsody, or even WalMart…

Posted by Michael on November 19, 2008 at 5:58 PM (CST)

@Germansuplex, Right on, man.

My only real complaint with this whole issue is, if I bought it, let me play it on/through whatever I want.  Please stop rendering my accessories useless with generation upgrades.  Apple is getting our money one way or another, the least they could do is let us listen and watch it how we would like.

Posted by Cereal on November 19, 2008 at 6:16 PM (CST)

Remember, the record companies wanted to use the no-DRM music as leverage against iTunes/Apple.

Or they didn’t want iTunes to stay dominant.

So they offered everyone but iTunes these no-DRM tracks.

I think iTunes passed Wal Mart earlier this year as the leading music seller.

Did they keep that lead?

Did Amazon and others take market share from iTunes?

Posted by wco81 on November 19, 2008 at 9:39 PM (CST)

@Michael,
I don’t want ‘90s technology (MP3), but thanks anyway.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on November 20, 2008 at 12:34 AM (CST)

@8

Get real, like mp3 is so 90s….

I can guarantee that once your earphones are on-you can’t tell the difference between 320(k) bitrate mp3 and anything in AAC.

I am an Apple diehard, but this sounds like snobbery or fanboyism.

Posted by Enigmafan420 on November 20, 2008 at 11:21 AM (CST)

An .m4a file type is cooler than .mp3? ;)

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on November 20, 2008 at 2:41 PM (CST)

LAME mp3 is just as good as AAC.

Posted by John on November 20, 2008 at 10:09 PM (CST)

Yes i wish that they would get on with it,i’ve been holding out buying from itunes until all music is offered in higher bit rates i know i can go else where and have done so in the past but itunes is so convenient,also if they can offer movie downloads why can’t we have apple lossless files to download.

Posted by Steven Bates on November 20, 2008 at 10:15 PM (CST)