Apple tells bar owner to stop using iPod name | iLounge News

Apple tells bar owner to stop using iPod name

A bar owner in Des Moines, Iowa, looks to have gotten himself into hot water with Apple’s legal department over a weekly iPod event he hosts. Clint Curtis, owner of Lift, runs a weekly event called iPod Monday in which he lets those who bring their iPods share their music collections with others. Apple recently sent Curtis a cease-and-desist email in which they told him “with respect to the podcast and associated site, iPod Monday, Apple has determined that your product name, which incorporates the word ‘iPod’, violates Apple’s trademark guidelines… please choose a name for your product that is consistent with Apple’s guidelines (that does not include iPod or any other Apple trademark or variation thereon).”

« Lionsgate movies come to iTunes Store

Report: EMI considering DRM-free music »

Comments

The whole thing is pretty stupid!

Posted by WOW on February 10, 2007 at 2:07 AM (CST)

What is really funny is that if they were having a Zune Monday, and Microsoft sued them, I bet everyone here who is supporting Apple would be calling Microsoft fools. In fact I bet everyone would say “typical Microsoft thinking they own the world”. Wake up folks Apple is big business and as big business they are, well, BIG JOHNSONS!

‘nuff said

(BTW, I am a big Apple fan and love the stuff. I just hate how corporations abuse the little guys)

Posted by Burl on February 10, 2007 at 2:08 AM (CST)

corporate greed in America :)

Posted by vcurams87 on February 10, 2007 at 2:14 AM (CST)

This is certainly a divided argument. One hand you have a major corporation hasslinlg the little guy, Clint and his bar, and on the other hand you have trademark law. I am torn between the two. If trademark law was ignored or you could pick and choose when to listen to the law then us “little guys’ would have no chance at making a product and protecting it. remember back when apple (the company) was the “hip” company, when did they start acting like Microsoft. I have to say that in this case I am rather taken aback by the petty tone. I feel that they could use more of the positive spin associated with a business owner drawing customers with one of their products. Maybe some sort of compromise could be reached. he could name a new drink after the ipod, oh wait he would get sued again. Darn it! Ok fine maybe he needs to pull out the big guns and come up with a way to say iPod ( I might get sued for saying iPod here, oopps did it again) Like using a graphic of an eye then the word Pod. Or just typing it out eyePod. Its America you can get sued for threating to sue someone, or for looking at them wrong. It doesn’t surprise me that Apple is getting all twisted by this. I thinks its sad they will protect is so much, that the outcome could be the customers might sell their iPods and get Microsoft Zunes. I am slightly disappointed by Apple. I am on my third iPod because the fact is they don’t last more than 6-8 months and I use a PC laptop because they do (aside from virus’s) last longer. I had a iBook and it crapped out after months, not years. I then had a Dell that lasted over 4 years. SO my verdict is Apple is being uptight about Clint and his “iPod Mondays” and I am still waiting to get another Apple computer out of fear that it will fall apart before its “broken in”. I think one day America is going to have to go England’s legal system where frivolous law suits are thrown out immediately. Probably will never happen. Well sorry Clint, but I think that its a good idea and Apple is being a bully, they have a right to be, but a bully none the less.

Posted by Josh craig on February 10, 2007 at 2:58 AM (CST)

Did it occur to anyone that the folks trading their iPod tracks at the bar might be in violation of copyright laws for the music/tracks?  And that Apple would rather not have its name and trademarks associated with such illegal activity?

Posted by MarkEB on February 10, 2007 at 10:06 AM (CST)

MP3 Monday sounds much better anyway.

Posted by JWj on February 10, 2007 at 10:33 AM (CST)

That’s a very good point MarkEB.  I think it’s a safe bet that this bar doesn’t have any sort of permission for public performances of this music, something which DJ’s, etc. usually have to get, etc. (i.e. this is different from just playing the radio in your bar or something).  If they think Apple is being a dick about this, wait until the music industry comes after the,.

Posted by Zadillo on February 10, 2007 at 11:33 AM (CST)

He can change to HiPod Monday, i-Pod Monday,Hi-Pod Monday.. At least he’ll not use the “iPod” name!!

Posted by Filipe Fitas on February 10, 2007 at 12:02 PM (CST)

Apple has developed a reputation, for good or bad, of protecting their names by getting lawyers involved. Just a couple weeks ago Apple went after bloggers who used iPhone screenshots.

Apple Challenges Bloggers Over iPhone Screenshots

Posted by Tom on February 10, 2007 at 2:16 PM (CST)

Tom, to be fair, it sounds like they went after bloggers who I guess included screenshots of the copyright-violating iPhone windows mobile skins.  That’s probably an iffy point (whether you should just go after the people using the copyrighted images in the skins, or also the people who include screenshots of those copyrighted images in the skins as well).

Posted by Zadillo on February 10, 2007 at 2:21 PM (CST)

Here’s the original article. The story obviously didn’t originate from this blog.

Posted by Reb Duttons on February 10, 2007 at 2:28 PM (CST)

Call it iPodsux Mondays.  Problem solved, no more trademark infringement

Posted by Einstein on February 10, 2007 at 2:42 PM (CST)

Posted by um on February 10, 2007 at 2:45 PM (CST)

I guess Apple doesn’t see that they’ve created a household brand name, based on what’s become a standard.  If they prohibit everyone from referring to the iPod as a standard DAP, it just might cease to be that standard.

Posted by BHSPitMonkey on February 10, 2007 at 2:49 PM (CST)

another fanboy fuck stabbed in the back by apple.

stevo’s butt is patented. ifillintheblank.

Posted by doodthisrocked on February 10, 2007 at 3:19 PM (CST)

what a load of crap. This guy is helping apple, and in return their legal dept. screws him over, WTF

Eugene

Posted by Eugene on February 10, 2007 at 3:42 PM (CST)

I think he should fight it and also file his own trademark for “iPod Monday”.  Apple is not in the food and beverage industry, and trademark law provides for the same name to be used in different industries as long as such use causes no confusion.

Posted by originalgeek on February 10, 2007 at 4:15 PM (CST)

When did swapping music tracks become illegal?  I’ve been swapping all kinds of stuff in bars for years!!!

Posted by mast_kalandar on February 10, 2007 at 5:53 PM (CST)

He can just call it ‘eyepod’ on paper.

Posted by haha on February 10, 2007 at 6:00 PM (CST)

Apples behaviour is ridicolous. And I AM a lawyer…

Posted by saminegm on February 10, 2007 at 6:04 PM (CST)

Page 2 of 4 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >