Apple tells iTunes users to delay Vista upgrade | iLounge News

Apple tells iTunes users to delay Vista upgrade

Apple is urging iTunes users to hold off on upgrading their PC to Microsoft’s new Windows Vista operating system. “iTunes 7.0.2 may work with Windows Vista on many typical PCs. Apple recommends, however, that customers wait to upgrade Windows until after the next release of iTunes which will be available in the next few weeks,” Apple says in an online support document. Apple said it is preparing to address a number of iTunes compatibility issues in the next release of the software. The company last week released iTunes Repair Tool for Vista 1.0, a software update to fix some reported issues.

« Fastmac expands iPod LCD service for iPod minis

Apple and The Beatles form new trademark agreement »

Comments

I’m not sure what is worse, that Apple didn’t beta test the current version of iTunes on Vista, the fact that they think people should hold off upgrading a PC (or buying a new one) until iTunes updates, or that Microsoft created Vista in the first place.

Both companies can kiss my….

Posted by stark23x on February 5, 2007 at 10:27 AM (CST)

you are a bitter man…

Posted by overcast on February 5, 2007 at 10:32 AM (CST)

Well, Vista is 5 years overdue, and still its full of mistakes. Don’t blame Steve for Bill’s mistakes.

Posted by ryan10ad on February 5, 2007 at 11:23 AM (CST)

I remember when XP came out and everybody that I knew that tried it got screwed for six months.  The thing is that when Apple releases a product with bugs (like iTunes 7) we get product support that almost always puts it back on track.  With Microsoft, it seems like our solutions are never related to what the product was originally supposed to do.  I’m sure that everybody will have something to say, but my experience shows that Apple tends to be better, and MS tends to be worse.

Posted by Charlie on February 5, 2007 at 11:31 AM (CST)

I’m sorry Ryan, but Windows Vista has been out since November 30th for business users and was finished well before then. Apple has had plenty of opportunity to test iTunes on Windows Vista.

Not only that but there haven’t been any sudden changes to catch Apple off-guard.

The typical Apple “Repair Permissions” solution to all of the world’s problems is not good enough.

Posted by Daveoc64 on February 5, 2007 at 11:34 AM (CST)

the simple fact is that you should never upgrade to a new os right away. you know that there are going to be issues…always have been, always will be.  be patient and wait a little while for the bugs to get worked out.  sounds to me like you’re really just mad at yourself for not waiting.

Posted by franticnomad on February 5, 2007 at 11:42 AM (CST)

Daveoc64 - why isn’t it good enough? These problems are obviously surfacing in the home versions - the versions regular people are paying money for - and the problem is being fixed. Seems like Apple’s doing their job by fixing their own software so it works. And as long as the solution works, why isn’t it good enough?

Although I do think Apple’s being a little egotistical by advising people not to upgrade just yet, I also can’t really fault them for it. They’re saying to the average Joe, “Don’t upgrade to Vista until it does what you want it to”, which is play iTunes.

Posted by Multimoog on February 5, 2007 at 11:43 AM (CST)

I say go ahead and upgrade to Vista.

Please, please upgrade….right now.

Please.

Posted by unreal on February 5, 2007 at 12:04 PM (CST)

I upgraded to Vista at the end of last week not because I wanted a new OS, but because my Pentium III circa 2001 was pretty much on its last legs.

I haven’t encountered any problems with iTunes on my new machine yet, but I really haven’t put it through its paces with buying music or syncing. My old machine can hold out for a bit longer until a new version of iTunes is released.

Since the Vista OS has been out there since last fall, I do think Apple should have been more on the ball with either having a new version of iTunes ready or at least a better patch.

Before people start flaming each other, I do think that those who switch to a new OS right away, especially one by Microsoft, are bound to have a bumpy ride for a little while. It’s not a knock on Microsoft or Apple, but new OS’s do have some bugs or things that the programmers simply didn’t account for.

I think Apple needs to realize that they do have customers who are non-Mac users and that people will be upgrading to Vista. I think few people ran out at midnight last week to buy the new OS. Most people it seems have been smart enough to stay away and wait for new machines with the OS built in.

For the record, despite the improvements that Vista brings to the table, I honestly believe that OS X is still a superior operating system. I was hoping to make the switch this time around, but I couldn’t afford the Mac that I wanted unfortunately.

Posted by cxc273 on February 5, 2007 at 12:11 PM (CST)

Well said, cxc273.

BTW, it’s worth keeping an eye on Apple’s refurb section (they have full standard warranties) or on Amazon for rebates.  Both other significant discount on Macs, and unless you’re looking for an affordable, headless, internally expandable tower (forget it!), you can reduce the Mac premium to something not too bad.

Posted by lookmark on February 5, 2007 at 1:18 PM (CST)

“Somebody call the Waah-bulance.  iTunes isn’t updated on Vista!”

It’s funny.  I don’t see any mac-users complaining they haven’t received their updated version of Windows Media Player, MSN Messenger, etc.  We’re not bitching about not having Zune compatibility.  You see, indulgence CAN come both ways.  So far, Apple is the only company that goes the extra mile to make their products compatible with Microsoft’s along with their own.  Window-user’s should be grateful they get to even use an iPod.  It’s not Apple’s responsibility, it’s your previlege.

Posted by Norbit on February 5, 2007 at 2:54 PM (CST)

Well said, Norbit.

I have two words to add: Internet Explorer. Okay, one more word: Office.

Posted by thelottery on February 5, 2007 at 3:05 PM (CST)

How so, Joe? I think he makes a good point. Zune isn’t useable on a Mac. when is Microsoft going to fix that?

Posted by Multimoog on February 5, 2007 at 4:00 PM (CST)

Norbit—get a grip fellow.  Apple’s corporation is being fueled lock stock and barrel by Windows users who have bought the iPod because they like the player—not because they have become mac fanboys.
Apple owes a properly working software interface for all Windows users because Windows users are paying the freight.
Apple has had plently of time to get this right and they are simply screwing around with their paying customers to make a point.  It is bad business.  Much more behavior like this and the golden goose had better start running fast.

Posted by Jerry on February 5, 2007 at 4:06 PM (CST)

My Privilege?... my fing Privilege?

I pay $400 dollars for a media player that advertises it works with windows than it is Apples Privilege to have my money and their RESPONSIBILITY to make sure the product works.  Just because the MAC and iPod are both made by apple doesnt make it some great leap that a PC user can use it.  Since like 90% of computers are PC’s they would have been screwed if they did not support them.

I have had no problems with itunes or my ipod on vista (except my own failure to back u my most recent library file)

Some applephiles need to get their head out their finder fueled asses.

Posted by AjaxSerix on February 5, 2007 at 4:09 PM (CST)

Yeah, Norbit is way off base…PC users or iPods/iTunes are paying customers and the least we can expect is for the software to work. I’m not bashing Apple, and I’m happy they got the fix out within a couple of days of Vista’s release. But the Apple fanboys need to calm down a bit.  It was Jobs’ decision to make the iPod compatible with PCs that led to the company’s rapid growth in the last few years.

Posted by Andrew on February 5, 2007 at 4:17 PM (CST)

I agree.  Nobody’s oblivious to the fact Jobs chose to make iPod+iTunes compatible with Windows.  We all know a good chunk of his profits come from PC-iPod users.  Compatibility is never a bad thing.  My point is, why hasn’t Microsoft done the same with their apps?  If it were the other way around, and Microsoft (somehow) created a mainstream MP3 player but was lagging on the updates of their Mac version app, then Window-users would roll their eyes at Mac-users for complaining.  It kind of points out which company the real elitist here in regards to compatibility.  I’m just saying it’s a double-edge sword.  Sometimes you have to see things in both perspectives.  And like Andrew said, Apple got “the fix out” within a couple of days.  So what’s the problem?  Just be glad this wasn’t and MS-update because it could’ve taken longer.

Posted by Norbit on February 5, 2007 at 4:38 PM (CST)

Dissapointing.

Apple should have been ready for Vista.

“Apple recommends, however, that customers wait to upgrade Windows until after the next release of iTunes which will be available in the next few weeks.”

Ha, ha. I recommend Apple thinks again. I’ll be installing Vista and not using iTunes for a couple of weeks. Not the other way around.

Posted by JeremyK on February 5, 2007 at 4:48 PM (CST)

JeremyK - so when will you be upgrading to Vista? In a few weeks? When all the Microsoft bugs are worked out? Exactly.

Posted by Multimoog on February 5, 2007 at 5:02 PM (CST)

Another thing is people seem to balk at the whole notion of an iPod on PC being a ‘privilege’. Yeah, Apple was smart to make iPods available for PCs. And then look who flocked to them, embraced them wholly and made the iPod a phenomenon - PC people, after a period of buying iPods before there was oficial Apple software and using hacks and homebrew software to get them to work with PCs.

If Apple tomorrow decided to stop making iPods for PC (hypothetical situation, here, yes it’d be financial suicide), what would the PC user outrage be like? You think another hack/workaround system wouldn’t be cooked up immediately? You think the public would flock to Zunes? The numbers might shift a little, then again there might be a lot of new switchers to Macs.

Posted by Multimoog on February 5, 2007 at 5:36 PM (CST)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >