Apple tells iTunes users to delay Vista upgrade | iLounge News

Apple tells iTunes users to delay Vista upgrade

Apple is urging iTunes users to hold off on upgrading their PC to Microsoft’s new Windows Vista operating system. “iTunes 7.0.2 may work with Windows Vista on many typical PCs. Apple recommends, however, that customers wait to upgrade Windows until after the next release of iTunes which will be available in the next few weeks,” Apple says in an online support document. Apple said it is preparing to address a number of iTunes compatibility issues in the next release of the software. The company last week released iTunes Repair Tool for Vista 1.0, a software update to fix some reported issues.

« Fastmac expands iPod LCD service for iPod minis

Apple and The Beatles form new trademark agreement »

Comments

Whoever thinks that iTunes has not been tested on Vista, that is not true. On the quicktime and itunes pages it had a link to a survey for Vista B2 and RC1 users, I know because I am one.

Posted by Ian Donnelly on February 5, 2007 at 5:56 PM (CST)

I’m waiting for apple!

Posted by ipoddude on February 5, 2007 at 7:05 PM (CST)

Vista is great!

Shut up Steve!

Posted by V1ST40WN5 on February 5, 2007 at 9:20 PM (CST)

If I’m not mistaken, nowhere on the iPod’s box does it say “compatible with Microsoft Vista.” The iTunes page on Apple’s site shows support only for Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

Does every Windows application have a fully functional Vista version available on Day 1 of the release? Because I would find that pretty amazing. And all those software companies had the same amount of time to write and test their software that Apple had.

Even a software-only company like Adobe says it plans to release some updates to its programs “shortly after Windows Vista becomes available to consumers.” That’s not materially different than Apple’s recommendation. If you need Photoshop to work flawlessly for your business, I guarantee that Adobe’s support line would immediately suggest that you avoid upgrading to Vista for at least several months.

Apple has every right to recommend that iPod users hold off on upgrading to Vista—they never guaranteed immediate support. Obviously, many people will upgrade anyway, and Apple is providing temporary fixes until a new version of iTunes is ready.

If the average PC user upgrades to Vista and iTunes is the *only* program with glitches, that would be worth a rant. But I highly doubt that’s the case.

Posted by BJ Nemeth on February 5, 2007 at 11:03 PM (CST)

Fanboyism, ahhhh, I am a FanBoy too.
I currently run a Macintosh LC580 running system 7.5.5, a Gateway PIII 450 PC desktop running Win98, a B&W G3 Powermac running OSX Panther 10.3.9, a Compaq M2000 PC laptop running XP SP2, an iPod Video 30gig, and an Xbox 360 by, ummm Microsoft.  My favorite thing to do, is to plug my entire music collection (iPod) into the USB port on the Xbox 360, and have it streaming music to my 360 whilst I play video games.  Microsoft and Apple together, the ultimate union!  Stop the hate, and begin the love.  I also backup my laptop onto the G3.  Firewire makes it fast and easy.  Hey doesn’t Xbox 360 use PowerPC, and Apple now use x86?  See, Steve Gates, and William Jobs, bringing the love, together.
Join Us…..

Posted by RobertHood on February 6, 2007 at 6:37 AM (CST)

RobertHood - well, yeah, I’d spread the love too if I could afford a million different computers as well.

Posted by Multimoog on February 6, 2007 at 9:48 AM (CST)

“Window-user’s should be grateful they get to even use an iPod.  It’s not Apple’s responsibility, it’s your previlege.”

Except that Windows users are the entire reason that the iPOD, and therefore Apple itself, is so successful right now. If the iPOD was Mac only then the market for it wouldn’t be any greater than the market for Macs… which is… wait for it… FIVE PERCENT.

Think about it. Where would Apple be having sold only FIVE PERCENT of the iPODs it has sold so far? The iPOD would be a niche product, just like Macs. Mac users should be greatful that windows users adopted the iPOD so readily, or Apple would be in huge financial trouble. Apple isn’t “Apple Computer” anymore for a reason. “If you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em.” Apple found out long ago that only selling Macs and catering to Mac users was not a good way to survive, much less prosper. They have to be very careful when thumbing their nose at PC users, or they may find themselves not leading the market anymore… or worse.

Posted by Lucas on February 7, 2007 at 7:25 PM (CST)

BJ Nemeth, Ipoddude, Norbit, and many others, I wonder just what your point is? It sort of reminds me of when I ran a bulletin board, how many people here remember them? In any event, I just banned my compuker is better than your discussions. I found them to be counter productive and breed ill will. Well everyone has a right to express their opinion and I have grown up a lot since I banned my Commodore 64 is better than your IBM bashes. Now I just look at this as a form of entertainment ;-) I enjoy your comments so please keep them coming.

Posted by QuestionMark on February 14, 2007 at 4:10 PM (CST)

I think what is meant by “privilege” in using an iPod with Windows simply means that it didn’t have to work at all.  Of course, that would have killed sales, but TBH, it also could have potentially helped Apple computer sales from the mass exodus.  It actually does anyway in fact.

It’s only advertised to be compatible due to that decision initially, which is what was meant by that comment.

Posted by DSM on February 16, 2007 at 1:01 AM (CST)

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2