Apple to address iTunes 5 problems with update | iLounge News

Apple to address iTunes 5 problems with update

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Thursday, September 15, 2005
News Categories: iTunes

Apple has acknowledged problems with the Windows version of iTunes 5 and said it will release an update next week to fix the issues.

“Apple is aware that a limited number of customers are experiencing issues with installing iTunes 5,” the company said in a statement. “We’re working to resolve this and expect to have a software update early next week.”

Problems reported on Apple’s support message board include computer crashes, deleted playlists, problems with purchased music transfers, and application conflicts, among other issues.

If you’re experiencing problems with iTunes 5, stop by the iLounge Forums where we’ve set up sections to troubleshoot iTunes 5 for Mac and Windows.

« Mix: nano praise, video iPod, nano onesie, ROKR review

Windows: XPlay 2.2 released »

Comments

“Apple is aware that a limited number of customers are experiencing issues with installing iTunes 5?

A limited number!? More like “Only a limited number of people can actually make it work!”

Posted by GenuineSpyke in Norfolk, England on September 15, 2005 at 8:53 AM (PDT)

I wish they would fix some the other issue with the new version.

Atleast give us the option to have podcasts show up in the main library or not.

Posted by Bill on September 15, 2005 at 10:59 AM (PDT)

Gracias, Apple.

Honestly, though, iTunes 5 should have only had one addition: integration with Quicktime 7 (the final, finished version). That’s it. No parental locks—none of the other .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address). Introduce maybe one or two things at a time. Maybe they could have changed the look, like they did, and also introduce the variable bit rate for AAC as well, and then that would be it. No more until 5.1. Less problems. NO BONJOUR. I HATE BONJOUR. BONJOUR is UNNECESSARY in ANY version.

Posted by Jack on September 15, 2005 at 1:55 PM (PDT)

Between three Macs in my house (My Powerbook, My parents iMac and 1st gen white iBook,) we had NO problems.

Posted by Chad Poirier on September 15, 2005 at 2:21 PM (PDT)

Chad, of course YOU had no problems. We’re talking about the Windows version here. Apple elitists are not smart in any way, and thankfully you’re the only one I’ve met so far.

Posted by Jack on September 15, 2005 at 9:17 PM (PDT)

Every other Apple fan on here has been cool with PC users, except—and this is just the way it SEEMS—you, Chad.

Posted by Jack on September 15, 2005 at 9:19 PM (PDT)

Why do people insist on maintaining this “Mac vs. PC” attitude.  Give it a rest people, it’s a flippin’ computer.  A box of circuitry.  It’s not a religion, a moral code, or anything meaningful.

Posted by Rob on September 16, 2005 at 1:27 PM (PDT)

iTunes 5.0 installed just fine on my XP system.

Posted by TennBikeBerk on September 16, 2005 at 2:56 PM (PDT)

I installed it on XPSP2 with absolutely no problems.

Posted by Christopher Gorman on September 16, 2005 at 5:57 PM (PDT)

I dutifully downloaded 5.0 to my PC and watched it wipe all my songs off my harddrive and then itunes ceased to function. It told me it needed Quicktime 7.0 to function it informed me, even though Quicktime 7.0 was supposedly bundled with it. Seperately downloading Quicktime didn’t solve it.
Now my 2,000 song catalog is gone, I’m going to have to download a program to pull my library from my Ipod. Thanks Apple!

Posted by skweegi on September 16, 2005 at 7:46 PM (PDT)

I installed iTunes 5.0 and had no problems with it. Bu I did have similar promblems with iTunes 4.8. I was using an XP based laptop.

Posted by iPodLove0702 on September 17, 2005 at 2:03 PM (PDT)

I had trouble installing i tunes 5.0 and when I did get it to install - I am unable to launch it.  I get the EULR and that is it.

I am running XP sp2.  Any suggestions?

Posted by Lprice on September 17, 2005 at 5:17 PM (PDT)

XPSP2, no problems here

Posted by queensredspecial on September 17, 2005 at 9:08 PM (PDT)

I downloaded iTunes 5 from the Apple site (.com, not the UK site from which the link failed to work for a few days post release) and it loaded perfectly on my XP SP2 PC. Not even the hint of a glitch. All 7 of our ipods sync’ed without a problem. Best new feature? The sound quality improvement using Quick time 7 VBR AAC encoding. Great product - sorry for those having problems but otherwise quit the moaning!!

Posted by drevo_uk in UK on September 18, 2005 at 4:57 AM (PDT)

I installed iTunes 5.0 on a Mac (running Tiger) and PC (running Windows XP, SP2), and had no problems on either system…

Posted by Eric on September 18, 2005 at 2:09 PM (PDT)

I’m using the Windows version and have no problems so far.

Posted by SgtCrispy on September 18, 2005 at 8:36 PM (PDT)

I had to searth the internet for a working linf to download iTunes 4.9. Not only was the installation faulty for 5.0 but even after it “installed” sepratley installing Quicktime didnt do the trick it kept saying Newest version of quicktime needed after working once or twice. The install of quicktime was faulty too it. It took for ever. Im running a pc with xp sp2

Posted by Dan W on September 18, 2005 at 8:41 PM (PDT)

I had problems installing it on my pc, but i tried and tried and tried again and eventually got it to work. So im happy.

Posted by Alex on September 18, 2005 at 10:49 PM (PDT)

I had no problem installing iTunes 5 on my PC. What i did have a problem with is Quicktime 7 and it’s intergration with Director MX and I was unable to export director files as Quicktimes, now uninstalled QT7 re-installed 6.5 removed itunes and fortunately still had an old version on my PC so i can still use my iPod! what was worrying is that I couldn’t find an archive of old versions of iTunes on apples site

Posted by john c on September 19, 2005 at 6:25 AM (PDT)

well. itunes 5… wat a complete failure by apple. not only i the program but also in theircustomer care. i had problems with itunes 5 with it saying tht it had probs with quicktime 7. so i gave up on it then tryed to download itunes 4.9. and a seperate quicktime but no… It seems itunes 5 has ruined my computer and deleted my 1500 song library that took me nearly a year to collect. so i look on apple.com for help. nothing. i phone up apple. nothing. so i am not happy.considering that im on my 3rd ipod 3rd gen clickwheel and all the previous ones broke down due to technical failure and on all occasions apple were less than helpful in getting me replacemants i think i am allowed to be a tiny bit irritated. dont you think?

Posted by Joe E on September 19, 2005 at 9:03 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >