Apple to give iTunes customers credit for singles | iLounge News

Apple to give iTunes customers credit for singles

Apple has reportedly been working with record labels to give iTunes customers credit for previously purchased singles when they subsequently buy the entire album. “It’s one of the problems of the digital-music era,” reports CNET News.com. “You buy a couple of songs from an album at 99 cents each. After listening to them a few times, you think you might want the album. Trouble is, you’ve either got to buy the other nine tracks individually or pay the full $9.99 for the album. Either way, you don’t get any credit for the songs you’ve bought, making you somewhat less likely to buy the album… Apple Computer and the record labels are onto this. Supposedly, iTunes customers may soon be able to buy the album and get credit for any single tracks they have bought.”

« Apple seen selling 20 million iPods during holiday quarter

Win a MacBook, iPods or earphones in iLounge contests »

Comments

that will be nice.  i know i have certainly been deterred from buying an album after purchasing a few tracks off of that album previously.

Posted by Jacob Anderson on November 13, 2006 at 10:10 AM (CST)

That would be a good thing. It is frustrating to think of the times I have bought a few tracks off a CD, to make sure I like it, then turn around a pay $9.99 for the whole CD. I would be more apt to buy more music, for sure.

Posted by Jason Dominy on November 13, 2006 at 10:40 AM (CST)

What a gyp! Is someone going to give me credit for all the LPs I bought when I already had the 45s?

Posted by proanim8r on November 13, 2006 at 10:52 AM (CST)

That definitely would be a huge improvement!

Another thing they should do….What about the fact that you purchase itunes via your account on one of your computers and then you go to another one of your computers with your same itunes account and you can’t access your previously purchased itunes that you made via the other computer?

Posted by Melissa on November 13, 2006 at 11:01 AM (CST)

seems fair enough. i don’t buy off iTunes. I like CDs. Better quality, the whole album, a real booklet. you have the CD forever (as long as you don’t lose it) and you can do whatever you want with it. downloading just seems so limited… if i buy an album, i’m usually sure i like it before i buy.

Posted by Papa Hobo on November 13, 2006 at 11:02 AM (CST)

Itunes 7 actually lets you listen to your purchased music on more than one computer. It uses your Ipod to transfer the music. I use a PC as my primary Itunes interface- it has my whole music library and is where I purchase new tracks. I also have a Mac laptop that I like to listen to music with but doesn’t have the room for my whole library.

I sync my Ipod with the PC, hook it to the Mac later, and Itunes 7 asks if I want to transfer my purchased music to the Mac. A few minutes later, all my purchased tracks are on the Mac. I just neede to make sure it’s one of my “authorized” computers. I think it’s the best addition to Itunes 7.

Posted by mjd1969 on November 13, 2006 at 11:19 AM (CST)

Thank you, Apple. I hope its true.

Posted by johnnay. on November 13, 2006 at 1:40 PM (CST)

That would be a nice addition, and make smart business sense. Certainly when I used to buy CD singles that wouldn’t be an option when buying the CD album, so this is a very cool idea.

Posted by Ian Jackson on November 13, 2006 at 1:44 PM (CST)

proanim8r, ‘singles’ in this sense is not the same as 45s. It’s about buying single TRACKS off of albums. I would expect them NOT to credit you if you bought the Single (‘45’) version of the song (instead of the version from the album).

Posted by Chucklenuts on November 13, 2006 at 3:15 PM (CST)

This is specifically a deterrent with the few albums that have “album only” tracks on them. Say you buy one or two tracks from this and want to buy the album later, you can’t just go and buy each individual track to fill around it, as you wouldn’t be able to get the album only tracks. A credit would help you be able to want to buy the entire album later.

This is amazing to me that record labels are considering this. It seems to me that most record labels wouldn’t give a damn and say well you just wanted to try it out, but now if you want it all, you got to buy the whole thing. Greed would rule. It’s amazing they are considering this.

Posted by Stuart on November 13, 2006 at 6:09 PM (CST)

This is nice. Hey Apple, how about those of us that get boned because we like CDs but still have to pay $11 to get one exclusive track from you? Any help for us? And what I really don’t get is when Apple seems to remove singles when the albums come out. Which wouldn’t be a big problem but when I buy singles they normally have more then one track, including tracks that aren’t on the album.

Posted by rainking187 on November 13, 2006 at 7:44 PM (CST)

This is really just an admission that they are selling the tracks for way more than the cost of the Album.

Still cheaper to order CD from Amazon and rip it than buy from iTunes in any case, also get a backup copy and your not stuck with poor 128K quality…

Posted by Paul on November 14, 2006 at 4:28 AM (CST)

Wow.  This is the first time when there’s actually an improvement over the past!  I mean, when’s the last time you were able to get credit for buying Barry Manilow’s Greatest hits after you had already bought “Mandy”?
; )

Posted by keith on November 15, 2006 at 10:47 AM (CST)