Apple to hold Tokyo music event; Japanese iTMS imminent? | iLounge News

Apple to hold Tokyo music event; Japanese iTMS imminent?

Apple has invited select media to a special music event in Tokyo that is expected to bring a Japanese version of the iTunes Music Store. The event will be held on Thursday, August 4, at 10:00 a.m. at the Tokyo International Forum.

The long-awaited Japanese iTunes Music Store has been rumored for months. While reports stretch back more than a year, the Nihon Keizai business daily reported in June that major Japanese record labels had signed agreements to provide songs for the service—news that was corroborated by AFX News Limited earlier this month.

« Mix: Video iPod, Podscope, Napster-XM, Darth Vader

PlayDock MP3 speaker system announced »

Comments

iPhone!

No, seriously, this is good to hear.  I’d think a Japanese iTMS would get a lot of business.  It’d be even better if Apple could convince the Japanese labels to make some tracks available for other countries’ iTMS storefronts.

Posted by Whyren on July 27, 2005 at 1:34 AM (CDT)

Great news…  I wish the I-tunes music store would allow me to buy songs off of other countries i-tunes stores.  I know its not possible because of the record labels and the contracts but there is some good music out there thats not being heard.

Posted by JC on July 27, 2005 at 3:08 AM (CDT)

I have several Japanese friends - I believe all I need is for one to give me her address, and then I should be able to download.

Posted by Jonathan on July 27, 2005 at 4:28 AM (CDT)

Jonathan,

That would be cool! I have a couple of friends who live in Japan. If that’s all it takes, then, I’m going to be emailing them and ask their permission to use their address to register to buy.

Yeah, there’s quite a bit of cool music from Japan. It’d be nice to have access to it.

Posted by jinzo ningen on July 27, 2005 at 4:40 AM (CDT)

Why can’t Apple (with the agreement of labels et al) produce an International section where selected tracks are available to everyone as a trial. Surely a small scale international ‘licence’ could be estalished on a small scale for these tracks or even certain artists and then developed from then on. It would benefit all concerned without diving into the unknown for artists, publishers or labels.

Posted by spyinthesky on July 27, 2005 at 5:34 AM (CDT)

i think you would actually need a credit card with a japanese billing address to buy from itunes international sites, i tried to buy from the UK store but could not….i can see why the music companies do not want to allow this because they probably have different rights and profits will be going to other divisions, but i hope that changes soon because there’s lots of great music not available on the US site

Posted by khyberny on July 27, 2005 at 9:22 AM (CDT)

You could ask your friend in the other country to allow you to be authorized on his account.  Then you could use his music couldnt you?

Kinda like a I share my music with you and you share your music with me…

Posted by Steve on July 27, 2005 at 11:46 AM (CDT)

or you send your freind a list of songs and some money then in return they download and sent back on cd then drm haha

Posted by BIGP in Texas on July 27, 2005 at 6:23 PM (CDT)