Apple to launch new Pepsi-iTunes promotion [updated]
Apple will kick off another promotion with Pepsi later this month to give away 200 million free songs from the iTunes Music Store and nearly 2,000 iPod minis. Apple revealed details of the new promotion earlier this evening on its Web site, but later removed the page. As readers may recall, Apple and Pepsi launched a huge promotion at last year’s Super Bowl to give away 100 million downloads. The two companies also recently launched a similar promotion in Canada.
Starting at midnight on January 31, consumers will be able to look for codes under the caps of specially-marked 20-oz. and 1-liter bottles of Pepsi products for alphanumeric codes and a “Free song” message, which provides one free song download from the iTunes Music Store. After redeeming your free song code, you will automatically be credited with one entry in the iPod mini sweepstakes, which will give away one iPod mini every hour (24 a day) from February 2 to April 11, with one final drawing on May 2. Apple said it will be giving away approximately 1,700 iPod minis—all of which will be silver with an engraved Pepsi logo on the back.
Free iTunes downloads must be redeemed by May 23, while the iPod mini sweepstakes period ends on April 30. Apple said the odds of winning a free song are 1 in 3 and that code entry limits are 10 per day or 200 total. The company said the odds of winning the daily iPod mini drawing depends on the total number of eligible entries received that hour/day. According to the official rules, all non-winning entries will be eligible for the next day’s drawing and all subsequent drawings.
Game pieces will be printed underneath caps of Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Pepsi Wild Cherry, Mountain Dew, Diet Mountain Dew, Mountain Dew Code Red and Sierra Mist and under the rim of specially-marked 32 oz. and 44 oz. fountain cups available at participating locations. It should be noted that last year’s promotion did not include Mountain Dew products, which many complained about.
Like last year, Apple and Pepsi are expected to air a new commercial for the promotion during the Super Bowl on February 6. An official announcement from the two companies regarding this year’s promotion should be dropped tomorrow.
Click “Read more” for a screenshot of the promotion page that appeared on Apple’s site. Thanks to iLounger Carlos Pero for the news tip.
Update: Apple has now reposted the promotion page and official rules on its Web site.
- Apple vying for artist exclusives for streaming music service; family plan?
- Apple releases iTunes 12.1.2 with OS X Photos app support
- Report reveals more details on Apple’s upcoming music service
- Apple struggling to drop price of upcoming streaming music service
- Revamped Apple music service not coming until WWDC; new Apple TV later this year?
- Apple releases iTunes 12.1.1 update for Windows
- iLounge Weekly arrives on Monday, subscribe now
- Apple Pay coming to Canada later this year?
- Report: Apple being uncooperative with antitrust monitor
- Leaked cases may hint at ‘iPad Pro’ design details
- L.A. school district seeking restitution over failed iPad program (Updated)
- Apple partners with The Conservation Fund to protect U.S. working forests
- In-store sales of Apple Watch delayed until at least June
- Apple adds WWDC scholarships to promote diversity
- Samsung creates exclusive team to build Apple screens
- Ikea reveals US prices for Wireless Charging Collection
- Soen Audio Transit XS Wireless Speaker
- Divoom Voombox-party Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Scosche MagicMount XL Dash/Window
- Theo Power Jump + Power Jump Wireless for iPhone 6
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?