Apple to launch new Pepsi-iTunes promotion [updated]
Apple will kick off another promotion with Pepsi later this month to give away 200 million free songs from the iTunes Music Store and nearly 2,000 iPod minis. Apple revealed details of the new promotion earlier this evening on its Web site, but later removed the page. As readers may recall, Apple and Pepsi launched a huge promotion at last year’s Super Bowl to give away 100 million downloads. The two companies also recently launched a similar promotion in Canada.
Starting at midnight on January 31, consumers will be able to look for codes under the caps of specially-marked 20-oz. and 1-liter bottles of Pepsi products for alphanumeric codes and a “Free song” message, which provides one free song download from the iTunes Music Store. After redeeming your free song code, you will automatically be credited with one entry in the iPod mini sweepstakes, which will give away one iPod mini every hour (24 a day) from February 2 to April 11, with one final drawing on May 2. Apple said it will be giving away approximately 1,700 iPod minis—all of which will be silver with an engraved Pepsi logo on the back.
Free iTunes downloads must be redeemed by May 23, while the iPod mini sweepstakes period ends on April 30. Apple said the odds of winning a free song are 1 in 3 and that code entry limits are 10 per day or 200 total. The company said the odds of winning the daily iPod mini drawing depends on the total number of eligible entries received that hour/day. According to the official rules, all non-winning entries will be eligible for the next day’s drawing and all subsequent drawings.
Game pieces will be printed underneath caps of Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Pepsi Wild Cherry, Mountain Dew, Diet Mountain Dew, Mountain Dew Code Red and Sierra Mist and under the rim of specially-marked 32 oz. and 44 oz. fountain cups available at participating locations. It should be noted that last year’s promotion did not include Mountain Dew products, which many complained about.
Like last year, Apple and Pepsi are expected to air a new commercial for the promotion during the Super Bowl on February 6. An official announcement from the two companies regarding this year’s promotion should be dropped tomorrow.
Click “Read more” for a screenshot of the promotion page that appeared on Apple’s site. Thanks to iLounger Carlos Pero for the news tip.
Update: Apple has now reposted the promotion page and official rules on its Web site.
- Apple releases iTunes 12.6 with new cross-device movie rental feature
- Apple releases iTunes 12.5.5
- Apple clarifies relationship between Apple Music and iTunes Match
- Apple releases iTunes 12.5.4 with TV app and Touch Bar support
- Apple acknowledges Apple Music now includes ‘all the benefits of iTunes Match’
- Apple adds four new items to (PRODUCT)RED lineup, games get custom content for World AIDS Day
Subscribe to iLounge Weekly
- iFixit posts teardown of the new iPad
- Unboxing the new 9.7-inch iPad
- MLB.com At Bat and NHL now allow users to personalize Home Screen icons
- Apple pulls over-the-air iOS 10.3 update for iPhone 5, 5c; iOS 10.3.2 seems to end support for them
- Supplier Responsibility Report, recent hires hint at Project Titan research
- Apple now rejecting apps with references to price in their name
- Apple Pay now live in Taiwan
- Apple releases iOS 10.3.2 beta to developers
- Rumor: Apple may add cellular capability to next Apple Watch, create USB-C/Lightning hybrid
- Urbanears launches new lineup of Wi-Fi Connected Speakers
- AudioQuest NightOwl Carbon Headphones
- ExoLens PRO with Optics by ZEISS Wide-Angle Lens Kit
- Blue Sadie Headphones
- Circle with Disney Parental Control and Internet Filtering System
- Pioneer Rayz Plus Lightning Connector Earphones
- BEEM United BeMe D200 Lightning Connector Earphones
- Jam Audio JAM Xterior Max Rugged Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
- HiFiMAN Edition S Headphones
- Divoom Timebox Mini Bluetooth Speaker
- iClever BoostSound BTS-09 Bluetooth Speaker
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10