Apple to MobileMe users: free* service to June 2012, then lights out | iLounge News

Apple to MobileMe users: free* service to June 2012, then lights out

In an e-mail just sent to MobileMe members, Apple confirmed what many users have expected since rumors of a follow-up service began to spread: MobileMe as it’s currently known will cease to exist after June 30, 2012. As a goodwill gesture to current users, the company will automatically extend MobileMe subscriptions through June 30, 2012 “at no additional charge,” after which “MobileMe will no longer be available.” Attempts to purchase additional MobileMe service are being rejected and refunded by the company as of today.

Apple urges users to sign up for the just-announced iCloud in order to keep their MobileMe e-mail addresses, mail, contacts, calendars, and bookmarks, and re-confirms that iCloud will be free for iOS 5 and OS X Lion users. While the company does not specifically address what will happen to MobileMe’s iDisk, Gallery, and iWeb services, it states that “more details and instructions on how to make the move” will be shared when iCloud opens for business this fall.

« OmniVision, Sony to supply next-gen iPhone cameras

Apple posts iOS 5, WWDC 2011 Keynote Address videos »

Comments

Well not entirely free for those of us that paid for it. I’ll be getting 6 months free, some people nearly a year, some people a month, etc.

What’s not clear from all of the published documentation is how do the iApps fit into this? iWeb, etc. And what about iDisk? Will it still be available over the WebDAV protocol? Lots of questions.

Posted by coolfactor on June 6, 2011 at 8:17 PM (CDT)

iWeb hasn’t been updated beyond sub-point releases since 2009 I can’t see Apple continuing iWeb development while 3rd Party online services are competitive and more compatible with iOS devices.

iDisk use for Pages, Keynote, Numbers and Office Documents is being superseded by iCloud Documents.
iDisk use for PDFs has been superseded by iBooks.
iDisk use for Photos and Media is being superseded by Photo Stream and iTunes in the Cloud.

While WebDAV may not be available from iDisk, there are a few online services that provide much cheaper (and more stable) WebDAV services. Lion Server could also be installed on a home computer, providing WebDAV services, depending on your home network.

Posted by Dan Woods on June 6, 2011 at 8:49 PM (CDT)

Well, I’m glad that I held off on renewing—I got an e-mail telling me to two weeks ago. It’d suck to get only two weeks out of 52 for free.

Posted by Beau on June 6, 2011 at 9:00 PM (CDT)

And iBooks hasn’t superseded anything: Even after doing everything I’m supposed to to import PDFs I still can’t get any of my iOS devices to load them into iBooks. And looking at Apple’s support forum, it looks like other people have run into the same thing.

That said, I assume that GoodReader will work with iCloud just as it does with iDisk, so I’ll be minimally impacted when the changeover comes, beyond (possibly) having to reload everything once.

Posted by Beau on June 6, 2011 at 9:05 PM (CDT)

Count me in as someone who will be getting less than a month, since mine JUST renewed. Darn.

Oh well!

I wish they would do something with iWeb. I used it for one family cookbook site. It was easy to use initially, but what a hassle not being able to move it, modify HTML, etc. Won’t use it for anything important.

Posted by Teechur on June 6, 2011 at 9:30 PM (CDT)

So let me get this right I paid 99 dollars, they discontinue the service and I have to “Sign Up” for iCloud to keep my contacts, calendar and email address?

I’ve got 6 months on my current subscription and they can’t just Roll me in?

How about a friggin bone apple!

Posted by Roger Horvath on June 6, 2011 at 10:24 PM (CDT)

I started to get a bad feeling when they made ‘Find My iPhone’ free to all iOS users.
As much as I appreciate all of the free features being offered in iCloud, I can’t help but feel a little resentment that Apple is just going to start giving away a service that they spent the last few years charging us to use. To add insult to injury, iCloud will not only have more features, it will also no doubt be more reliable - seeing as how us MobileMe subscribers paid $99/year for the privilege of serving as Apple beta testers through months of hiccups and lost data.
When it comes to Apple it truly does not pay to be an early adopter.

Posted by Paul on June 6, 2011 at 11:06 PM (CDT)

Very alarmed by the keynote yesterday. No mention of iweb and all the idisk and web hosting capabilities of mobileme. Apple has seriously slipped up here and my business relies in this service that I have been paying 99 dollars for over the past 10 years !

Posted by rupert eden on June 7, 2011 at 3:15 AM (CDT)

Since iCloud is an entirely new set of applications and services, I don’t see this as an issue as they are not giving away MobileMe services, they are “giving away” iCloud services, the differences are obvious. I too have my business site via iWeb + iDisk, and am not worried about it. Worst case scenario, I find another site to host it to and deliver it there. @Beau: I have been pulling PDFs into iBooks virtually from day one, I even convert previously published book material that is downloaded as a pdf back to eBook format as well without issue. I have an entire library of reference PDFs on my iPhone. Just sign up for the free iCLoud program - don’t understand what the issue here is Roger…

Posted by Patrick G on June 7, 2011 at 11:21 AM (CDT)

I’m not all that upset about iCloud being free—Free is good for consumers, and MobileMe was always overpriced. The only reason I bothered with it was that I liked having a mac.com/me.com email address, and iDisk came in handy sometimes, even if it was a little iffy at times. Back to My Mac and Find My iPhone arenice features, too. It’d be nice, though, if Apple would make a goodwill offering to existing (or long-time) MobileMe subscribers by offering them a little something. How about some kind of credit for iTunes Match?

Posted by David Orgel on June 7, 2011 at 3:11 PM (CDT)

I’m really disappointed in Apple for allowing some customers like me to renew their Mobile Me account just one week ago for $100 and not offer even a partial refund.  The only thing they can offer me is completely disabling my Mobile Me email forever in exchange for a refund.  I’m too tied into Mobile Me and wireless syncing to cancel the account, but Apple should certainly be better to it’s customers.

Posted by Matthew Kandel on June 7, 2011 at 4:22 PM (CDT)

I just signed up for a MM trial last month.  It was set to turn into a full account in July.  I guess I lucked out and will get a free 13 months of MM!

Posted by wes on June 7, 2011 at 5:21 PM (CDT)

Since you can sign up to be notified when iCloud services commence, I guess we can surmise that they’re not planning a seamless transition for existing (extended!) MobileMe customers. Does that mean wired syncs between computers/devices in the interim? Hopefully, John Maisey’s iCal Dupe Deleter website won’t be inundated prior to iCloud coming online, because a lot of people will be de-duping their iCal at that time!

Posted by Aceydozz on June 8, 2011 at 12:58 PM (CDT)

For some reason, I mistakenly thought MobileMe was ending this month, rather than this month in 2012. Nix my above comment – very pleased to get MobileMe services for the year for free!

Posted by Aceydozz on June 13, 2011 at 2:04 PM (CDT)