Apple to offer $50 credit in iPod battery settlement | iLounge News

Apple to offer $50 credit in iPod battery settlement

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Thursday, June 2, 2005
News Categories: iPod

iPod owners who complained of battery problems will get $50 vouchers and extended service warranties, according to the terms of a tentative class-action lawsuit settlement. Lawyers representing consumers said that the settlement could affect as many as two million people who purchased first, second and third-generation iPods through May 2004. Eight consumers filed the suit against Apple in 2003 claiming the iPod failed to live up to claims that its battery would last the product’s lifetime and play music for up to 10 hours.

“People who fill out a claim form are entitled to receive $50 redeemable toward the purchase of any Apple products or services except iTunes downloads or iTunes gift certificates,” reports AP. “They can redeem the voucher within 18 months of final settlement approval at any bricks-and-mortar Apple Store or online. Consumers who had battery troubles can also get their battery or iPod replaced through the lawsuit. Apple currently replaces or repairs defective products that are returned within one year but the class-action settlement extends the warranty to two years, plaintiffs’ lawyers said.”

« The iPod Clone Wars: mini, shuffle knock-offs at Computex

Mix: Stolen music, New Yorker, Goldman Sachs, iPod ads »

Comments

Apple is actually gonna do this, wow

Posted by scottishfishes8 in Chicago, IL on June 2, 2005 at 12:15 PM (PDT)

Too bad it took threatened legal action for the company to offer something resembling decent treatment of consumers.

Posted by ape on June 2, 2005 at 12:19 PM (PDT)

There is justice in the world!  Looks like I can get back $150.

Posted by Taphil on June 2, 2005 at 12:28 PM (PDT)

Great and $50 coupon.  I hope they pay the scumbag lawyers in coupons instead of millions of our dollars.  Class action suit are a bunch of BS!

Posted by dascrow on June 2, 2005 at 2:07 PM (PDT)

the 3rd gen iPod’s only got 8 hours of battery life, I’m confused. So of course they wouldn’t get 10, apple didn’t even advertise that.  I knew the 3rd gen only got 8 when I bought mine.

Posted by MATRIXsjd in Burbank, Ca on June 2, 2005 at 3:01 PM (PDT)

What about all of the people who boughtthe 4th generation (December 2004) and get 4 to 5 hours of battery life.  Does anyone know of a new lawsuit?

I sure hope so.  You pay $325.00 and less than 4 months later they want $100.00 just to replace the battery.  What a scam..

Posted by loladeb on June 2, 2005 at 3:02 PM (PDT)

so, my third generation ipod gets about 2 hours of battery life. does this mean that i apply for this program?

the instructions and claim details are pretty rotten.

Posted by zeve on June 2, 2005 at 3:46 PM (PDT)

Great, AFTER I paid to replace the battery myself.  smile  STill, very cool of Apple to settle and step up to the plate.  They could have tried to fight it all the way.  And I do have 2 third gens that need replacing…two hours or less on each.

Posted by stark23x on June 2, 2005 at 4:59 PM (PDT)

MATRIXsjd:  8? 10?  Who cares?  My 40GB 3G never even came close to getting 8 hrs on a charge. AFAIC, this is a long overdue gesture on Apple’s part.

Posted by flatline response on June 2, 2005 at 6:43 PM (PDT)

slowest…... website….... ever…...... think they’re doing it on purpose?

Posted by Kloan in Toronto, ON on June 2, 2005 at 7:57 PM (PDT)

Some class action suits… some suits of ANY kind… are baseless.

Some, of course, are legitimate.

I don’t know about this one.

But having won in another class action suit against Apple before—one that WAS legitimate—I was happy to have my $25 to put towards finally getting an iPod smile

Sayyyy….. who REALLY won there… ?

Posted by Nagromme on June 2, 2005 at 10:58 PM (PDT)

Can someone tell me how I go about getting a copy of the claim form to submit for the rebate?  The link mentioned in the article does not work.

Thanks !

Posted by ChuckLDunn on June 3, 2005 at 8:19 AM (PDT)

zeve: yes, you can apply, this meant just for you, anything under 4 hours is the requirement

Posted by scottishfishes8 in Chicago, IL on June 3, 2005 at 8:21 AM (PDT)

I pity the fool who takes advantage of this program!  This winners are the lawyers who bring such completely frivilous lawsuits.  The lawyers probably recovered millions of dollars in litigation fees.  Sick!  It’s not like we lost a leg or anything.  My 3g has battery problems but who cares, all electronic devices die eventually.  I would be embarassed to fill out that form and stiff apple—who has created such an amazing product, enhanced all of our lives—for a measily $50.  As far as I am concerned, apple keep my $50 and I encourage the company to keep going, creating, and inspiring all of us.

Posted by Sparkky in San Francisco on June 3, 2005 at 10:09 AM (PDT)

I’m happy that they are at least “acknowledging” that there was a problem. I don’t have the receipt for my iPod but it was ordered and engraved directly through Apple so they have a record of when it was purchased. Do I need a copy of the reciept to get in on the class action settlement?

Posted by FallN in New York, NY on June 3, 2005 at 10:15 AM (PDT)

I am glad that Apple is doing something about this problem, but a coupon? And for $50? So we are going to be able to buy a battery pack for $30 or $60 from their site just to get the advertised battery life? This still seems like we are getting screwed out of a good deal once again.

Posted by sm_welch on June 3, 2005 at 11:45 AM (PDT)

when does the class action start for everyone that has been buying 128kbps music that is promoted as “cd quality”.  This is not just iTunes, but any of the other services.
People will figure it out eventually.

Posted by snappy on June 3, 2005 at 12:05 PM (PDT)

I thought that they offered a replacement iPod as well. Like a choice between the $50 or the iPod

Posted by zeve on June 3, 2005 at 3:21 PM (PDT)

Loladeb, if you purchased your iPod in December 2004 (like me), it’s still under warranty, you get a new battery for free anyway. All fourth-gen iPods are still under warranty, unless you messed with it.

Posted by EricS2008 on June 3, 2005 at 7:40 PM (PDT)

I purchased 3 iPod Mini’s before March 2004, does the settlement cover iPod Mini batteries too or just iPods because the battery life on the iPod Mini’s are short as well.

Posted by JeNiCiNe in San Francisco, CA on June 4, 2005 at 12:11 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >