Apple to offer $50 credit in iPod battery settlement | iLounge News

Apple to offer $50 credit in iPod battery settlement

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Thursday, June 2, 2005
News Categories: iPod

iPod owners who complained of battery problems will get $50 vouchers and extended service warranties, according to the terms of a tentative class-action lawsuit settlement. Lawyers representing consumers said that the settlement could affect as many as two million people who purchased first, second and third-generation iPods through May 2004. Eight consumers filed the suit against Apple in 2003 claiming the iPod failed to live up to claims that its battery would last the product’s lifetime and play music for up to 10 hours.

“People who fill out a claim form are entitled to receive $50 redeemable toward the purchase of any Apple products or services except iTunes downloads or iTunes gift certificates,” reports AP. “They can redeem the voucher within 18 months of final settlement approval at any bricks-and-mortar Apple Store or online. Consumers who had battery troubles can also get their battery or iPod replaced through the lawsuit. Apple currently replaces or repairs defective products that are returned within one year but the class-action settlement extends the warranty to two years, plaintiffs’ lawyers said.”

« The iPod Clone Wars: mini, shuffle knock-offs at Computex

Mix: Stolen music, New Yorker, Goldman Sachs, iPod ads »

Comments

I would like to thank Apple for doing this. I bought my Ipod last year before I deployed to Iraq, knowing that the availability to electricty is scarce, due to limited sources and ofcourse the difference in voltage. Once I started using my Ipod on a regular basis battery life only lasted 4 hours. When purchasing my ipod, I was told by the sales representative that this was the best on the market for battery life and would be a great investement for my trip to Iraq. Music was the only other thing besides letter from home that that could bring up not only mine, but other’s spirits up after a long day of patrols. So in regards to “Sparkky’s” comment on 6.3.05, this is not only about the lawyers making money, but about being able to rely on a quality product to bring you some type of joy, after having been out all day patrolling and wondering if you’re going to make it back to base….or dare I say home.

“Doc”
1BN7MAR

Posted by bensan2000 on June 4, 2005 at 1:41 PM (PDT)

Just some highlights for those of you posting questions/rants here without bothering to read the claim informatiom.

You can claim EITHER $50 OR a new battery.  Apple can, at their discretion, replace the iPod with a new one if you choose battery replacement.

The claim form only mentions 1st, 2nd and 3rd gen iPods, no minis.  There is also a section for people to reclaim half of costs already paid for battery replacement.

You must have experience “battery failure” in year two of your iPod ownership.  They have all the dates in the claim.

The claim document provides the exact instructions on how to test your iPod’s battery.

Battery failure is half or less of advertised batter life: 4 hours for 3rd gen, and 5 hours for 1st and 2nd gen iPods.

The laywers are getting $2.7M.

Posted by kokketiel on June 4, 2005 at 2:57 PM (PDT)

This is sick. I refuse to enter into this thing. I knew when I got my iPod 3 years ago that battery life has a direct correlation with the bitrate of the music, how often your buffer is “wasted” (IE skipping songs or changing playlists), if you use the backlight etc. The 12 hour claim used to hold up quite well, getting even 15 hours within the first couple months.

And I knew that after 3 years I might want to get a new iPod, because by then the battery will be nearing it’s useful life and of course, I’d want something newer (in this case a blue iPod mini).

You knew all this as well as I did, and I hope you don’t take part in this lawyer-enriching greedfest.

Posted by minty on June 4, 2005 at 9:01 PM (PDT)

Does Apple absolutely require proof of purchase? I’m very sure the majority of people do not hold onto their “proof of purchase” for 1-2 years… Anyway, if this is the case I believe this to be totally ridiculous. From day 1 I never receieved the quality advertised by Apple. Many are experienceing the same problem even with apple’s newest products. Apple Ipod is totally bogus. I’ve done extensive research in quality mp3 players and only recommend the Apple Ipods for people who have difficulty figuring out computer related stuff. (I do admit the ipod’s ease of use)BUT THIS PRODUCT IS A SCAM.

Posted by Esthetix on June 5, 2005 at 1:23 PM (PDT)

“BUT THIS PRODUCT IS A SCAM.”

lol!

Whatever you want to believe…

Posted by minty on June 5, 2005 at 2:25 PM (PDT)

What else do people like that expect? All rechargable batteries die in time…

Posted by mini_me2 on June 5, 2005 at 3:43 PM (PDT)

So, the form gives you the option to select a new ipod. Is this new ipod a refurb?

Posted by Amy on June 20, 2005 at 10:38 AM (PDT)

I would think anyone tech savvy enough to buy an iPod in the first place would also understand no battery lasts forever and has a life cycle based on usage.

I also own a Fuji Mx-2700 made in 1999 and the rechargable battery doesnt hold a charge like it did when new. Should I sue Fuji?

Posted by Scott on June 24, 2005 at 7:25 PM (PDT)

yes, you should sue fuji. jk, nah its a bit ridiculous all of this. but seeing that in Australia it costs nearly $170 to replace the battery, why not?

Posted by Tim on July 16, 2005 at 5:22 AM (PDT)

i’ve sent the paperwork in and was wondering if any news had come back from any users regarding the replacement of their iPods. I own a 3rd generation with the four buttons and wheel. The claim form said the due date was 9-30-05.

Posted by Kat on August 1, 2005 at 12:33 PM (PDT)

I own a fairly new pink ipod mini and the battery blows! Whats the deal with the battery? I was wondering what everyone else is doing with theirs? What can i do to increase the battery life? I’ve only had it for 7 months, whats the deal?

Posted by Vanessa on September 16, 2005 at 1:52 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2