Apple to offer refunds on taxed iPods in Canada | iLounge News

Apple to offer refunds on taxed iPods in Canada

Apple will soon begin providing refunds to Canadian customers who bought iPods when levies were being imposed on digital music players in the country.

“Apple is pleased that the Supreme Court of Canada let stand a lower court ruling that blank media levies on iPods are invalid, and will shortly announce a claims process so consumers can request a refund for the levies they paid,” Apple said in a statement.

Late last month, the Supreme Court of Canada refused to hear any further arguments over the levy, ending a dispute over the so-called iPod tax, which has collected approximately $4 million in total.

The Canadian Private Copying Collective (CPCC) has collected a tax on MP3 players since December 2003 on behalf of musicians and record companies. The organization was forced to stop charging the levy in December 2004 by the Canadian Federal Court.

« Logitech debuts new portable speaker systems

Apple continues to hold ‘substantial lead’ over competitors »

Comments

So, I bought my 3G iPod just when the minis were being released last year and paid full price for it at an Apple reseller… I wonder if I will still qualify for the refund based on where I bought it.  I have a feeling that I won’t.

Posted by Adam S on August 9, 2005 at 9:26 AM (CDT)

how much was this tax anyway?

Posted by jm on August 9, 2005 at 10:53 AM (CDT)

the tax was 25$ canadian… I guess those who registered their iPod will get check in the mail.. ;)

Posted by Dzign on August 9, 2005 at 11:54 AM (CDT)

Did this tax apply to iPods brought in regular stores, online stores (e.g., apple.ca) or both?

Posted by hoshieBIOTpod on August 9, 2005 at 12:21 PM (CDT)

hmmm, need to get some more info on this. I got mine last december, so I guess I would qualify?

Posted by djsonic on August 9, 2005 at 12:47 PM (CDT)

So where does this leave us, legally?  We were free to copy music from our CDs to our iPods in the same way that we could make copies of our CDs for our personal use.  That was because we paid a levy.  Now that the levy’s no longer valid and we’ll be getting our money back, are we open to being sued for copying our own CDs onto our iPods?  Do they really expect us to re-buy our music from ITMS?

Posted by urbanlegend on August 9, 2005 at 1:09 PM (CDT)

Answered my own question…

Today’s Sunday Star contains an important letter to the editor from Graham Henderson, President of the Canadian Recording Industry Association. Responding to concern that the exculsion of the iPod from the private copying system would lead to liability for Canadians who copy their own CDs to their iPods, Henderson pledges on behalf of CRIA and its major member labels to refrain from taking action against such consumers, who he characterizes as the “good guys”. The full letter reads:

Recording Industry Won’t Target True Fans

Michael Geist has correctly drawn attention to the unintended consquence of last week’s Supreme Court of Canada ruling. It places people who legally acquire music and then copy it to their hard drives or portable devices in a legal grey zone. However, on behalf of the Canadian Recording Industry Association and its major label members, I can state that no action will be taken by CRIA against the “good guys.” People who legally acquire music are the artists’ best friends, and we do not intend to punish them.

Posted by urbanlegend on August 9, 2005 at 7:03 PM (CDT)

On the Apple website it says:  “Apple is pleased that the Supreme Court of Canada let stand a lower court ruling that blank media levies on iPods are invalid, and will shortly announce a claims process so customers can request a refund for the levies they paid.”

I’d keep checking their website for updates.

Posted by Wendy on August 11, 2005 at 10:28 AM (CDT)

To answer some of the above questions:

ALL mp3 players were affected by the tax, regardless of where they were bought. Apple just bumped the prices up on the whole line.

I don’t remember the exact time frame this happened in, but prices had dropped back down by last December. I’m pretty sure the tax lasted from June to November.

Posted by createch on August 19, 2005 at 9:06 AM (CDT)