Apple TV 2.0 guided tour now available | iLounge News

Apple TV 2.0 guided tour now available

Apple has posted a guided video tour of Apple TV software version 2.0, which walks viewers through most of the major new features and interface changes of the software. Announced during Apple CEO Steve Jobs’ keynote address, and explained further in a feature article, version 2.0 of the Apple TV software — also called Apple TV Take 2 — will allow users to browse, purchase, and rent content from the iTunes Store, perhaps most notably enabling the rental of high-definition films directly from the set-top box. The software was originally expected to be released this week; however, it was declared “not quite finished” by Apple, and is now expected to be available in the next two weeks. The update will be a free software upgrade for current Apple TV owners.

« Tunewear intros Tuneshell cases for iPod touch, classic, nano 3G

‘Rough Cut’ of iPhone development book now available »

Comments

I feel that Apple knew they wouldn’t get this out in time from the start. If they announced it would take a month for the update then the hype surrounding the aTV would’ve shrunk incredibly so they gave us a “reasonable” ETA to maintain the hype. I own an AppleTV and was really hyped up but by now I’m thinking of unplugging and freeing up that HDMI port again.

I know a few people who bought one purely out of impulse but by the time the software is released (after the return policy) their excitement to rent old movies will be gone.

Posted by urkel on February 1, 2008 at 1:32 AM (CST)

Anyone else notice during the demo the prices were 2.99 and 3.99(HD) but on the webpage it says 3.99 and 4.99(HD)?

Posted by Steve on February 1, 2008 at 5:47 AM (CST)

@Steve,
You’re wrong.  The prices were always announced as 2.99 and 3.99(SD) and 3.99 and 4.99(HD).  I’m ok with that as my cable company charges 3.99(SD) and 4.99(HD).  The problem is that I already have cable TV and can’t justify (yet) shelling out $229 for hardware that lets me do on-demand movies for the same price with the same 24-hour limit.  I know it does a lot more, but it’s hard to justify.  Cable TV is already in my living room.

Posted by Dyvim on February 1, 2008 at 8:52 AM (CST)

I swear I watched this video soon after the Keynote. Did they take it down and put it up again?

Posted by Granata on February 1, 2008 at 10:21 AM (CST)

why would people pay $299 for a device that only outputs 720p signal?

Posted by tigerinroc on February 1, 2008 at 10:23 AM (CST)

I was wrong. it’s only $229, but still…

Posted by tigerinroc on February 1, 2008 at 10:25 AM (CST)

@Granata,
You’re correct, this is old news.  I commented earlier to that effect, but they removed it to save face.

Posted by taco on February 1, 2008 at 5:58 PM (CST)

We only remove comments when the commenters are acting obnoxious. We also ban obnoxious commenters. Keep your comments on topic and they’ll stay up.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on February 1, 2008 at 8:08 PM (CST)

Yep, this video was up right after rhe keynote.

Since the software appears to be complete, I wonder if the hold-up is just ensuring that the HD downloads are protected to the various studios’ satisfaction.

Posted by Gordy. in Atlanta, GA on February 4, 2008 at 12:22 PM (CST)