Apple TV 2.0, iPod touch, iPhone 1.1.3 videos posted, details
We’ve just posted videos of the Apple TV 2.0 software, iPod touch, and iPhone 1.1.3 software to our YouTube account. They’re now available for viewing. Enjoy!
Apple TV: The biggest changes of the day were reserved for the Apple TV, which saw a comprehensive interface overhaul with movie rentals, movie and music purchasing, Flickr photo browsing, and new iTunes Store search features for all forms of media, including podcasting. The software is officially labelled version 2.0, and will be available in two weeks. In our quick tests on the show floor, everything worked as expected, though the new dual-pane menu interface requires a bit more thought to navigate than the prior Apple TV 1.0 menu system. Apple has also streamlined the device’s settings into multiple contextual menus, and added a few little settings that can be seen in our video, such as new photo transitions, expanded parental controls, and new HDMI output modes.
iPhone: All of the new iPhone 1.1.3 features described in our news story, and previously leaked, work as expected. Location finder on Google Maps pinpoints your current location within a roughly one block or so radius—at least in our quick show floor test—and hybrid view overlaps satellite and drawn road maps on top of each other. Webclip enables extremely easy web page bookmark addition to the iPhone’s main page, and the icon rearrangement feature works exactly as expected—hitting the Home button stops the icons from wiggling and being dragged.
iPod touch: Apple representatives on the show floor have confirmed that pre-MWSF08 iPod touch owners who are looking to add the iPhone applications Mail, Stocks, Weather, Notes, and Maps will be paying the $20 fee regardless of whether they recently purchased the touch, or bought it on day one. Those who have purchased in the past 14 days have the option to return and repurchase the touch from a retail Apple Store, however, the 10% restocking fee will apply, costing a minimum of $29.90 for the touch. Our attempt at testing the location finder feature of Maps did not work on the iPod touch, though it worked properly on the iPhone. Otherwise, the new features worked the same on the iPhone as they did on the touch. These applications are not part of the iPod touch 1.1.3 update currently available through iTunes.
- Report: Apple bans UK music service from iAd
- Apple says services not affected by Heartbleed
- Apple considering ‘dramatic overhaul’ of iTunes Music Store
- Apple Human Interface VP Greg Christie leaving company
- Report: Apple mulled Square acquisition
- Apple, other firms could pay $9 Billion in poaching suit
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple agrees to anti-theft smartphone measures
- 8GB iPhone 5c launches in more European countries
- iPhone 6 metal mockups spotted at electronics show
- Alpine Electronics announces aftermarket CarPlay products
- Apps: A&E/History 2.0, Ally 3.0, Amazon Cloud Drive Photos 3.0 + Pandora 5.3
- Pioneer officially announces aftermarket CarPlay access
- iWatch: LG to supply flexible displays, September release?
- Alleged iPhone 6 front panel, batteries leaked
- Windows Phone 8.1 supports Passbook passes
- Alpine to release aftermarket CarPlay system
- Favi Swivel Screen Portfolio Case with Bluetooth Keyboard for iPad Air
- ChargerLeash Charge & Sync Smart Lightning Cable
- iWalk Sound Angle Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- iWalk Extreme 10,000 Duo Battery Pack
- Speck DuraFolio for iPad Air + iPad mini
- Hack Things Poppy 3D Camera for iPhone 4/4S/5/5c/5s + iPod touch 5G
- Tavik Hemings for iPad Air
- Spigen SGP GLAS.tR SLIM Privacy for iPhone 5/5c/5s
- Incipio [Performance] Armband for iPhone 5/5c/5s + iPod touch 5G
- Brookstone Perfect Drink App-Controlled Smart Bartending
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks
- Splitting purchased content between two iPads
- iLounge’s 2014 CES Best of Show Awards: iPad, iPhone, iPod + Mac
- Preview: 7 Big Apple Trends To Expect At The 2014 CES
- Non-Bluetooth Lightning dock speakers
- Shared Apple ID and switching away from iPhone
- Syncing multiple iCloud data with a family Mac