Apple TV 2.0 update now available [updated x3]
Published: Tuesday, February 12, 2008
News Categories: Apple TV
Apple has released the much-anticipated 2.0 update of the Apple TV software. The update brings a redesigned interface to the set-top box, as well as support for SD and HD movie rentals, iTunes Store browsing and purchasing directly from the device, AirTunes capabilities, flickr photo browsing, and more. For a more complete look at the changes, read our feature article. The Apple TV 2.0 update is available now through the “Update Software” menu selection in the Apple TV’s Setting menu.
Updated: The Apple TV 2.0 update currently offers 75 high-definition movie rentals, a new introductory movie,
. Apple’s updating process requires at least six restarts of the Apple TV, three of which include progress bars showing that the update is currently underway, and concludes with the playback of a new movie that replaces the “wall of videos” Apple TV 1.0/1.1 introduction with a slightly different version.
Update 2: iLounge editors have been playing with the Apple TV 2.0 update and found that the 1080p resolution option is there, but may not appear on your first attempt to find it. When you look under Settings > Video > TV Resolution using a 1080p-ready television set, you may be presented with 6 or 7 options—720p HD, 1080i HD, 480p, 720p HD - 50 Hz, 1080i HD - 50 Hz, and 576p - 50Hz should be there, with 1080p HD appearing under 720p HD. One of our editors had the 1080p option appear immediately; the other had to turn his TV on and off to make the HDMI connection re-handshake before it appeared. Both editors noticed that the user interface was not crisper with 1080p turned on; rather, it looked fuzzier, as if it was being upscaled from lower-resolution artwork, rather than Apple TV downscaling its fonts and images from 1080p-ready source materials.
Update 3: We’ve added a few 720p/1080p pictures to this article; click on the headline, or below, to see them.
- Apple posts shipping deadlines for Dec. 24 delivery
- Yahoo Screen, PBS channels added to Apple TV
- Killer Duck Decals features Apple TV skins
- Apple TV software version 6.0.2 released
- Apple TV software version 6.0.1 released
- iMovie Theater channel added to Apple TV
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- New apps aim to fix iOS 7 wallpaper issues
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, new giveaway
- Apple quietly releases 74% iOS 7 adoption estimate
- Razer iOS controller leaked
- U.S. Apple Stores now using iBeacon
- Apps: Assassin’s Creed Pirates, Doctor Who: Legacy, Double Dragon Trilogy + Foursquare 7.0
- Apple patent reveals ‘smart dock’ for Siri use
- Bluetooth 4.1 announced as free update for 4.0 devices
- Apple and China Mobile make iPhone deal?
- Startup uses iBeacon to allow Newsstand publication access
- The Joy Factory aXtion Bold for iPad Air
- OtterBox Defender Series Case for iPad Air + iPad mini with Retina display
- Tabu Lumen TL800 App Enabled LED Color Smart Bulb
- Wren V5BT Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
- Incipio offGRID Pro Battery Case for iPhone 5
- Belkin WeMo Insight Switch
- STM Studio for iPad Air
- Urban Armor Gear Composite Case for iPad Air
- Belkin LEGO Builder Case for iPad mini
- Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover for iPad Air
- iMessages come in from email address instead of phone number
- Passcode entry field not appearing on iPhone
- Custom ringtones assignments don’t sync to iCloud
- Resuming incomplete iCloud backups
- Adding multiple photos to a Shared Photo Stream
- Quality of videos sent via Messages
- Text messages being delivered to wrong iPhone
- Problems logging in to iTunes Store
- Receiving FaceTime calls on multiple devices
- iOS 7: Incorrect display of Company-only contacts