Apple TV delayed until mid-March (updated) | iLounge News

Apple TV delayed until mid-March (updated)

image

Despite recently claiming that it would meet its February shipping deadline, Apple said today that it will delay the release of the Apple TV until mid-March. “Wrapping up Apple TV is taking a few weeks longer than we projected, and we now expect to begin shipments mid-March,” said Apple spokeswoman Lynn Fox. Apple CEO Steve Jobs unveiled the Apple TV under the code name iTV in September of last year. Apple has been accepting pre-orders for the device since January’s Macworld Expo.

Update: Shipping dates for early Apple TV orders have been confirmed by Apple for March 20, with the fastest delivery option resulting in a March 23 arrival.

« SFMOMA offers iPod rentals loaded with walking tours

Goldman Sachs sees 14 million iPhones sold by end of 2008 »

Comments

Wait a min. If I have a DVi to HDMI cable and can connect it from my MBP to my Sony flat screen, why do I need Apple TV? I do not see the unique selling point here.

Wake up people. DVI to HDMI cable: $15. Apple TV: $299.

Do the math. Same content coming from your Mac to TV.

Posted by Don on February 26, 2007 at 5:21 PM (CST)

Don: SHHHHHHH!!!!!  You’re ruin the magic.

Apple made it, therefore you NEED it.  Don’t you know that by now?  :)

Posted by stark23x on February 26, 2007 at 6:14 PM (CST)

I agree with Don that people need to do the math.  If you live in a dorm, in a single (bed)room in your parents house, in shared space with roommates, or in small space like the proverbial ‘New York’ apartment, his idea makes sense because your computer is next to your TV, or at most one room away.

I live in two story SFH.  If I wanted to hook my computer directly to my TV I would have to get a 30-60 foot long DVI/HDMI cable, depending on how many holes I wanted to drill through plaster walls or hardwood floors to straighten the path from my 2nd floor office to my 1st floor family room TV.

Do DVI cables even come that long?  How do you monetize the time, effort and expense of running the cable, hiding it, patching spots and so on?  And what kludged setup would I use to remote control the distant computer? A handheld running VNC perhaps? A chain of Radio Shack IR repeaters?

I guess what I’m saying is either the thing that the Apple TV does is something you want done, or it isn’t.  If it is, there’s only so much value to kludging something together just to save $275.  And so what people need is to “do the math” by considering that sort of hidden cost of trying alternative solutions.

For my money, the real sticking point is that I already have two Tivos networked together on separate floors, and I can watch ‘free’ video programming on either of them.  I also already have an XBox 360 which can do many of the same things Apple TV promises including music and video streaming, and most importantly it justifies its existence by playing games.  What does Apple TV do to stand out from the crowd?  It plays nicely with other Apple software and hardware, we assume, but is that alone worth it?

Posted by J Gitzlaff on February 26, 2007 at 6:19 PM (CST)

My order status still says it’s due to ship from the local warehouse on 2 Mar. I’ll be pissed if this doesn’t happen.

Posted by Japester on February 26, 2007 at 7:27 PM (CST)

I would never consider buying the Apple TV. It’s just $300 down the drain. It’s only 40GB too. The least amount of storage I would accept would be 60GB. I would prefer 80-100GB though.

Posted by doompod on February 26, 2007 at 8:03 PM (CST)

Quote by Don:
“Wake up people. DVI to HDMI cable: $15. Apple TV: $299.Do the math. Same content coming from your Mac to TV.”

Right you are.

Posted by doompod on February 26, 2007 at 8:05 PM (CST)

ouch. no love for this thing, eh? i’m torn because i have yet to convert my movies to a high-quality format. i could go with wmv and use the 360 to do what the AppleTV does, but then i lose iPod compatibility. i understand the hostile sentiments, but come on guys, the interface is sweet! well, now i have another month to mull it over. i wish it just played VOBs… <sigh>

Posted by mrfett in Washington, D.C. on February 26, 2007 at 10:18 PM (CST)

Some of you guys are total morons. What if I don’t have an MBP but do have a desktop in another room? What if I did have an MBP AND a desktop but take my laptop to work while people at my house still want to access content off the computer? What if I realized that HD size is not such a big deal as I could watch streaming content from the Apple TV?

Posted by The Man on February 27, 2007 at 12:06 AM (CST)

I’m going to buy this. Like Gitzlaff said for people who have a laptop or computer next to their TV, a cable is the obvious answer. But all my iTunes content is stored on my Mac Pro, and even though my TV is in the same room, it’s about 15 feet away. A cable would have to go right along the middle of my floor. For my setup, the Apple TV is the obvious answer. Think about it—just because some product isn’t right for you, you’re going to extend that to everyone?

Posted by Joshdude in Long Beach, CA on February 27, 2007 at 1:08 AM (CST)

A number of people just don’t get the market for this device. If you’ve invested heavily in iTunes, then it’s for you. That’s either time or money. For me, it’s time. I’m in Australia, so I don’t have any movies or TV available from iTunes. Despite this, I have over 200Gb of TV and movies I’ve ripped from my own DVDs. I’m the perfect market for the Apple TV.

I was considering a Mac Mini but couldn’t justify the cost. Given the size of my library, and the fact that here in Australia an Apple TV costs less than half the price, it’s a natural for me.

Stop railing against it if you’re not the target market. If you want to fiddle with DivX and crave Blu-Ray, etc., then stick with your computer-based solution.

Posted by Japester on February 27, 2007 at 4:47 AM (CST)

Got the bad news tonight. Email from Apple stating it will be shipped from local warehouse on 22 Mar. That’s effectively 3 1/2 weeks away. Pissed.

Posted by Japester on February 27, 2007 at 8:18 AM (CST)

DVI to HDMI is hardly the same, and hardly as clean…you haven’t hooked up the sound yet.  Hardly as small, and hardly as cheap.  I have a Power Mac, and this was the best investment for my purposes.

DVI hacks look like ass.  I’ve seen them, and haven’t been impressed yet.

Posted by Gordy. in Atlanta, GA on February 27, 2007 at 9:46 AM (CST)

As I see it the AppleTV is basically an iPod with a network card.

What I cant figure out is if you can just stream content using the iTunes share instead of using the sync option.  I already stream 100% movies and music to my TV and projector via my laptop.  Why would I want an AppleTV which appears to only be able to handle up to 50 hours of that content?

Posted by gilatrout on February 27, 2007 at 10:10 AM (CST)

Japester, why not just play your DVDs in their native 480p (although I realize you’re in a PAL nation, so 576p?) instead of converting them into a degraded format only then to be re-upconverted to 720p?  I can’t imagine that would look better or even similar to a standard definition DVD, unless the Apple TV has an isanely awesome upscaler.

I personally think this device is silly, but if someone wants to buy it or complain about it, far be it from me to stop ‘em.

Posted by Camembert on February 27, 2007 at 1:14 PM (CST)

gilatrout: Yes, you can stream. You don’t have to use the onboard hard drive. You’ve got a good setup. You don’t need Apple TV.

Camembert: I’ve got a 5.5-Gen iPod, so I want to be able to have the choice of watching on either iPod or TV. I don’t rip DVDs with 5.1 sound. Unless Apple gives us a surround-sound solution or I eventually get a dedicated computer, I’m going to have to watch the actual DVD.

Most of the content I’ve ripped looks almost as good as DVD when played from my iPod on my TV. I am wondering if Apple TV will change the resolution of my HD CRT TV on the fly if it detects 480 content (I rip at 640 x 480). If so, it’s got to look pretty good.

Posted by Japester on February 27, 2007 at 8:13 PM (CST)