Apple TV Software 2.1 adds movie Wish List feature | iLounge News

Apple TV Software 2.1 adds movie Wish List feature

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Monday, July 14, 2008
News Categories: Apple TV

image

Among the unannounced features of Apple TV Software 2.1 is the ability to save movies to a Wish List for purchase/rental at a later date. Each individual movie listing page now has a Wish List button to the right of the trailer, purchase, and rental buttons. Once a user has added a movie to his/her Wish List, a “Wish List” menu item appears between the “Rented Movies” and “Top Movies” section on the main Apple TV menu. Commenters have also noted that a thumbnail of the album artwork now appears when browsing music albums, and the duration of each track is shown once the album is selected. Finally, Apple TV Software 2.1 now supports dynamically updated Smart Playlists, which are now updated by the set top box without the need to sync with iTunes, as was required by previous versions of the software.

image

« iPhone 3G screens yellow by design, firmware fix available [updated]

iPhone App Store hits 10 million downloads »

Comments

So what is a “Dynamically Updated playlist”.  What does it update to if it’s not syncing with iTunes???

One thing I noticed in ATV 2.1 that I have asked for is to show playlist folders as folders.  Before, you couldn’t tell a playlist from a folder of playlists until you hit it.  Very nice for the UI.

Also, using iPhone Remote is a godsend.  It is fast and lets you have a decent interface to the ATV that is speedy and much better than the very narrow, deep hierarchy of the ATV menu interface.

Posted by Jim on July 14, 2008 at 8:11 AM (PDT)

Jim,

I updated the piece to explicitly state “dynamically updated Smart Playlists” per your comment.

For example, if you had a Smart Playlist set up to remove songs that you had listened to in the last day, the Apple TV previously needed to be re-synced with iTunes in order for it to remove a song you had just listened to. It no longer requires this, and will update such playlists on its own, once you navigate out of them.

(Credit to reader Plan K’s comment on the Apple TV Software 2.1 release story for the example.)

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/apple-rolls-out-apple-tv-software-21/ (Comment 8).

Posted by Charles Starrett on July 14, 2008 at 8:24 AM (PDT)

Charles,

Have you heard of any widespread problems with the ‘upgrade’ of the Apple TV?  I’ve been trying to upgrade to 2.1 (from 2.0) since last Thursday and I keep getting the message to try again later.  I’ve tried it at all hours of the day and night (4 a.m. this morning) with the same results.  I can’t find out anything from Apple.

Posted by Chuck on July 14, 2008 at 9:03 AM (PDT)

And when is the ability to loop videos going to be supported?  I was hoping that this would be one of the hidden features in this release.  I have not applied the update as the announced new features are irrelevant to us.  What our parish church needs (yes, the Apple TV was purchased to display information in the lobby of our church) is the ability to loop promotional or informational videos using the Apple TV.  If somebody out there knows how to trick Apple TV to do this in the meantime, we will be most appreciative.

Posted by Geny Toribio on July 14, 2008 at 9:09 AM (PDT)

Charles, do a Factory reset and then update. That is how I got it to update to 2.1. I had the same issue you describe.

Posted by Jerry on July 14, 2008 at 9:34 AM (PDT)

I wish movie rentals and buying would be available in The Netherlands…

Posted by Steve on July 14, 2008 at 9:58 AM (PDT)

Does anyone know if the new streaming wifi internet music apps being added to the iphone/touch like pandora, aol music and lastfm will also be added to the AppleTV?

I use my AppleTV a lot for the music I have added to its hard drive and the new remote app for my Touch really adds to the value of this combo.  I have my AppleTV connected to my stereo system.  Now with the new remote app on my Touch, I don’t even need my TV on to select my music.  Its a great app.

I would love to have pandora and lastfm on my appleTV too.

Posted by matthew soon on July 15, 2008 at 12:40 PM (PDT)